What's new

Has Thorpe Opened The Way For New Rides...

A

Anonymous

May have been done so Ian feel free to lock if it has. But i was wondering if anyone thinks that SAW:The ride may open the way for Thorpe Park to start theming new rides around films etc, maybe in comeptition with movie parks and disney parks on the continent. Well post opinions here, unless this topic already exsists.

(I for one would love a JAWS ride set on part of the lake :) )

trav

Mega Poster
I very much doubt it.

I've heard off someone that they originally just planned for SAW to be a horror themed ride - it was just a coincidence that they were able to get backing from SAW at the same time. I don't know if that's true, but it seems more realistic to me, if you look at the way the videos were done and everything.

marc

CF Legend
I heard the same thing that it was all last minute stuff hence the original pictures showed a mill not a warehouse.

If you want to go on Jaws then go to the USA, its already had its time.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
No.

This was a one-time theme deal.

Whenever you do a movie-based ride, you must pay royalties to the company that produced it.

Since Universal, Paramount (don't forget the new Paramount park in South Korea), and Disney want to keep their movies exclusive to their parks, they will either charge ridiculous royalty payments or deny the use of movie licenses all together.

This is the reason Cedar Fair has removed the Paramount theme and may be removing the Nickelodeon theme, they do not want to pay royalties.

With SAW, it is produced by Lions Gate, one of the minor production companies so royalties would be less. Once you try to do a major movie title though, be prepared to sponsor that companies' next major film. :razz:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
trav said:
I very much doubt it.

I've heard off someone that they originally just planned for SAW to be a horror themed ride - it was just a coincidence that they were able to get backing from SAW at the same time. I don't know if that's true, but it seems more realistic to me, if you look at the way the videos were done and everything.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much it.

Even as late on as those plans for the station design, I don't think they knew it was going to be themed to the Saw films.

It looks like the abandoned logging mill gone wrong theme was with it from the start, and Saw was bolted on because the boot fit... with some amendments.

spicy

Giga Poster
Yeah can see it now, Thorpe Studios! :roll:

They wouldn't be able to theme it for a start :lol:

If they do have another movie themed ride, I will be very suprised.

LOL, are you kidding?

Not to be rude, and I haven't been there, but Thorpe CERTAINLY will not be in competition with like, Disney parks, ever. Movie parks? Maybe, but I doubt they're gonna start like, theming every new thing they have to be based around a movie.

Like Matty said, it could become expensive to pay to get to use movie themed rides as well.

A

Anonymous

i don't think theres any chance of that!

thorpe isnt a big park, and 2 similar (kindaa thingg) rides wouldn't work.

Its good to see the first themed horror rollercoaster at thorpe, but i think a 2nd movie themed ride would be too repetitive.