What's new

Has anyone been on a Virginia Reel?

I think I rode the one at Blackpool when I was very young, but I couldn't say for definite. I have a vague memory of it though and I'd love to see another built.

Bazpa definitely rode it, but I don't think we'll see him post in here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input! I'd really like to get along to Great Yarmouth to ride Tyrolean Tubtwist but I wonder how similar it is to the classic reels. I've heard that it's spinning motion is quite violent!

I'd personally love to see somewhere try and recreate a classic reel (Knoebels?) but I don't really know whether it would make a good modern day ride or whether it's only good for nerd reasons!

The Tubs are more like a pretzel dark ride than a coaster, so I don't think they're anything like the actual Reels.

Add much as if love to see a new one built, I do think that they're probably too much of an oddity to be remade these days and a little too basic compared to the steel spinning coasters we now have. In fact, I'd say you're their spiritual successors are the nasty Reverchon spinning mice...

furie said:
The Tubs are more like a pretzel dark ride than a coaster, so I don't think they're anything like the actual Reels.

Add much as if love to see a new one built, I do think that they're probably too much of an oddity to be remade these days and a little too basic compared to the steel spinning coasters we now have. In fact, I'd say you're their spiritual successors are the nasty Reverchon spinning mice...

Yeah, I think it would have to be somewhere like Knoebels or Margate Dreamland to happen. Shame!

They do look like they have the potential to be quite forceful though!

I'd be OK with this being Knoebels' next in-house project, provided it was done well and didn't turn out to be like a Reverchon mouse.

Rode it at blackpool many times,
as rough as the wild mouse,
crossed with a river rapids ride.
No seat belts, often ended up in a strangers lap.
Very good fun, and a dark ride experience at he end,
a long horseshoe of flat track under the main structure.
Showing my age!

Thanks for that insight rob666!

I assume that a modern version would have to have seatbelts and electrics to prevent trains bumping each other (and a way to reduce the danger of people pushing the cars in the station possibly?) but it certainly could be done well.

We can hope!

I made it here eventually :)

Without a doubt one of the best rides I've ever been on, utterly terrifying and thrilling. Nothing at all like the Tyrolean Tubtwist, don't know how that even gets on the RCDB list.

Pretty much as Rob666 describes it above, the only way to hold on was a rail on the outside of the tub and for a kid/ early teen when I mostly rode it the rail wasn't that easy to reach which added to the terror.

A crazy ride all the way round but the big swoop at the end was the killer bit. So much fun and missed forever, doubt there will ever be anything like it again - would the restraints kill any of the thrills on a new version - who knows. I would like to ride it again as an adult to see if I'm just being nostalgic but I've never heard a bad word said about it.