What's new

Harry Potter @ IOA Updates:

A

Anonymous

press_10.jpg

just to say u can see 2 rides and the hog wart express

Tony

Hyper Poster
Looks like it will open a bit later than we thought. Screamscape say December 2009 or even June 2010:

New filings submitted by Universal Orlando now project a new timeline for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to be compete. The Grand opening “is targeted to occur in or about December 15th, 2009 but may occur as late as June 30th, 2010.” However this is when the area is deemed to be “fully operational”, which means that they could open some sections in phases early I suppose.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/islands ... enture.htm

A

Anonymous

OK so the theme might be good but what coasters will there be? I'm not going to America just to see scenery. B&M must get in on this quickly.

nadroJ

CF Legend
IoA wouldn't shut DD, one of it's biggest crowd pleasers, while they work on HP land. I suppose it will stay fully operational during the whole renovation actually, they'd annoy too many people if they closed it and seeing as the area where they're building HP seems to be sort of in and around DD and not actually on the ride itself I don't see any reason for them to have to shut it.

A

Anonymous

This is a great idea. many many many people love harry potter and it would be a great addition. :D

Lofty

CF Legend
This is a great idea. many many many people love harry potter and it would be a great addition.:D

Which means that IOA is going to get many many Millions over the period of it opening :lol:!

Lofty

CF Legend
I know J.K.Rowling said that she would never make another book but I think she will end up doing! And who knows the 7th film may take alot longer to come out then anybody thought!

And UC if you said the film is due out in a couple of years then this park is opening in two or three isnt it?

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
The 6th film is set for release on 21st November 2008 and this means that Deathly Hallows won't be out until at least 2010. There has been an 18 month gap between film since the second films, which would suggest June/July 2010, but the films have traditionally made sold more tickets when released in November, so they might release the film in November 2010. Either way, it'll definitely be coming in 2010 and opposed to 2009.

I don't think that popularity will be a problem. Harry Potter is a beloved franchise and just as Disney continue to create attractions based on long established characters, so can Universal.

Lofty

CF Legend
If you are a true fan you never stop liking whatever it is you are a fan of! So hopefully the harry potter fans love this park and can't get enough of it!

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
^Sorry, but shouldn't you have a spoiler alert on that (Book 7 spoilers)? I mean, it's pretty obvious that that was going to happen, but still :p

costar

Mega Poster
Well my aunt is giddy too. I didn't wanna read that UC coz I still wanna read the book! You're right though - the fact I haven't read the book yet means I clearly don't care too much that you just minor-spoilt it.

I don't think the 2010 thing matters. I think they're relying on Harry Potter being enough of a landmark in fiction to keep people interested in Hogsmeade etc. If you think about it, some stories just do stick around. I know you should never compare the two, but think of a Lord of the Rings park. That would always draw visitors I feel. Heh, reminds me of an RCT2 park I once made all of Middle Earth..

I have briefly skimmed the topic and no-one seems to have solved the Potter/Universal thing. Forgive me if I'm out of date but are Warner Bros. no longer in cahoots with Six Flags and why hasn't Harry gone to a WB park?

A

Anonymous

I think UC makes a pretty good point. As is, LC, while heavily themed, is open in story. It puts the guests in the center of the action, and makes them the "stars of the show."

The Harry Potter land will work, but only if it doesn't take the "let's tell the story of the books and movies" approach. Sure, it should include the locations and themes found in the books, but if all of the attractions revolve around the story of the central characters, it could fade with time.

On a personal note though, I will be a little sad if LC is totally converted. I know that IoA and Universal are movie oriented, but I always enjoyed the generic "ancient land" theme of LC. It made the experience more immersive for me. I would be especially dissapointed to see the end of Poseidon's Fury. It is one of the most immersive and well themed attractions I have experienced, and it's original (if not unique) story is something I appreciate in an attraction.

Also, to answer the above question, from what I've heard, Universal bought the rights to build the Harry Potter section from Warner Bros. Correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I hope they do the scenery and theming in accordance with the feel of the last film. The director gave it an almost Tim Burton-ish feel which I think could translate really well into a theme park. Especially in Diagon Alley, if they make the streets and shops really Victorian and crooked looking. I hope it's not too 'proper' if you get what I mean.

Have there been any mentions of smaller rides or shows and stuff?

A

Anonymous

herry potter theme park

the new harry potter theme park is going to be built in walt disneyworld in florida