What's new

Half a Coaster

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I was scrolling through the rankings on coaster-count and I noticed that some of the people have a half to the end of there count. Such as 355 1/2 or 784 1/2. What to the 1/2's mean? Does it have something to do with what the individuals count as a coaster or what?

Nic

Strata Poster
I can't say as this is something I've ever noticed. I'd imagine it entirely comes down to that person's own definition of what makes a cred.

I don't think I'd ever go so far as to put 1/2 on my actual count. However, I do class each side of a Möbius coaster as two halves of the same cred. Therefore, if for some reason, I only managed to ride one side, logically I should only count that as half a cred.

I imagine there are a few people that maybe count the two sides of a racing coaster as two halves of the same thing, potentially leading to the same issue.

I don't know, someone will probably now come along with some elaborate reason for their 1/2... but I'd guess that the vast majority are variations on the above.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I don't see how racing and mobius would effect it because when you check off one side wouldn't it just count as one and if you check off both sides it counts as two? I've been puzzled by this for a while because I really don't see how its possible to have a fraction on your count.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Many, if not most, enthusiasts count each side of a mobius coaster a half a cred, which is what you are seeing.
Here's a perfect example:
rollermonkey said:
Well, I did it.

I missed hitting #1000.

999 was Cascabel
999.5 was Montana Rusa (right lift hill)
1000.5 was Montana Infinitum
and 1001 was Montana Rusa (left lift hill)

Nic

Strata Poster
Yes, but coaster-count (or coastercounter, or any others you care to mention) is just one interpretation of what counts. Many people have their own interpretations meaning that two people who have been on exactly the same coasters could end up with a slightly different coaster count.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I understand that but what I don't understand is how you can count something as half when all you do is check off a box and it then comes up as 1. Theres no option for 1/2 a coaster. I went on added one lifthill of Racer at Kennywood and it came up as 1 and then I added one lifthill of Grand National and it came up also as 1. So the total came out as 2. Even if you only ride one side it never comes up as 1/2. I understand how people can count whatever they want outside of the website but on the website unless theres a option for 1/2's then I don't understand.

Nic

Strata Poster
Oh, ok, I see. I don't know. I would suggest asking someone over at coaster-count direct.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
In a strange a coincidence, I spent ages yesterday at Alton trying to work out this exact puzzle and came to the same conclusion that it must be for half a mobius.

I also don't understand what the numbers after the cred name refer to (for example 1/2, 0/5) - I'm assuming the second figure refers to re-locations from what I can see, but I don't get what the first number is. Sometimes it's zero, so maybe that means zero of the relocations are currently in operation???

I've drifted in and out of coaster count before, but only recently got committed to it properly since someone showed me the amazing 'maps of creds you still need to get'. <3 maps - they've totally ruined my Friday afternoon work ethic :D

Nic

Strata Poster
OMG! Why have I never seen those before?! I have 69 UK ones left apparently, but it includes RidgeRiders, so is clearly nonsense.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
I also don't understand what the numbers after the cred name refer to (for example 1/2, 0/5) - I'm assuming the second figure refers to re-locations from what I can see, but I don't get what the first number is. Sometimes it's zero, so maybe that means zero of the relocations are currently in operation???

The first number means on how many locations you've ridden the exact coaster (or under how many different ownerships you have ridden it, if it was owned by a showmaker).