What's new

Greatest speed variation between days/times/weather etc

T0M

Hyper Poster
The two rides that are capable of running strikingly different depending on the time of day or weather to me are The Ultimate and Jubilee Odyssey. The former feels like it is about to stop going into the second helix sometimes and the latter can vary between ZERO and CRAZY airtime on the first drop.

I have not been on Nemesis in the wet for years, but I remember there was a mph figure of how much faster it used to run in the rain on Wikipedia, which has since been removed.

I know that most if not all coasters have a variation in speed/craziness depending on the conditions, but to you, which are the most striking?

A

Anonymous

I know for a fact that Eagle Fortress ran 15 seconds faster in the middle of the day compared to the first few rides in the morning, and that figure is only from the top of the lift to the brakerun, just imagine how nice it run at night :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
and the latter can vary between ZERO and CRAZY airtime on the first drop.

I cant see how weather conditions can cause such a variation on the pull out of the very first drop...?

T0M

Hyper Poster
No, when it opened late on a cool evening (basically the first time it had run all season) it was slow as hell. Before you say it, I know that is normal but it is still a striking difference, which is what I made the topic about.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah I know what you're saying, but its the pull out of the first drop, not like one of the final elements, or even the first element, its THE moment the train leaves the top of the lift, how can there be such a variation at that point?

Maybe there could possibly be a small difference, but the ZERO airtime to CRAZY airtime... I dunno...

T0M

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Yeah I know what you're saying, but its the pull out of the first drop, not like one of the final elements, or even the first element, its THE moment the train leaves the top of the lift, how can there be such a variation at that point?

Maybe there could possibly be a small difference, but the ZERO airtime to CRAZY airtime... I dunno...

Zero was maybe a slight exaggeration but it gave me no buzz!

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster
I did dragster right after a slight rainstorm (just enough to get the seats wet as hell)
but i must say actually Test Track felt a hell of a lot faster after a rain.