What's new

Gravity Machine: 1500 ft high drop tower?

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It's on the top of a tower, but still...

I was just having a mooch around the internet and ended up looking at Canton Tower in Guangzhou, China. Construction was finished last year, and it's currently the world's 3rd tallest building/tower, after Burj Khalifa in Dubai and the Tokyo Sky Tree (under construction)

Canton-Tower-%E2%80%93-A-Supermodel-MegaStructure-in-Guangzhou-China.jpg

canton-tower.jpg

They already have a kind of horizontal ferris wheel, which takes passengers around the perimeter of the tower. They're marketing it as the world's highest ferris wheel, though I don't think that's how I would label this. Looks very cool whatever you want to call it:

U5288P6T12D5249619F168DT20101015101131.jpg

Canton_Tower_Guangzhou_China_02.jpg

And there is information, though no pictures, of a 35 meter drop tower, called Gravity Machine being built onto the mast of the tower. I can't actually work out if it has been built or not though:

Canton Tower Official Website said:
Canton TV tower - Gravity machine - the Shoot

At the +450 meter high top deck level there will be a gravity machine that lifts visitors another 35 meter up along the mast, from which they will be dropped back to the top deck. Anybody courageous enough to take this ride will get the most spectacular experience of a lifetime,falling back to earth from an amazing 485 meter.
http://www.gztvtower.info/02b Gravity.htm

Guangzhou Toursim Site said:
There is something extra for adventure lovers as well. You can climb to the top, and enjoy a ride on the Ferris Wheel. It is actually the roof of the tower. You can jump into any one of the 16 transparent cars and enjoy a half-an hour ride. The Gravity Machine is another attraction of the place. It will drop you from the highest mast so that you can have an experience of the gravitational pull. Sounds interesting? Well, it's worth a try.
http://www.excelguangzhou.com/cantontower.html

Personally, I think the whole tower is stunning anyway, but the addition of the rides at the top makes it even more impressive.

I wish they'd make a drop tower that actually dropped the whole height of the building. Rather than just being a normal drop tower on the roof. :p
The building looks cool though and that 'ferris wheel' looks odd.

I wrote about this about 2 years ago (CLICK), but I'm pretty sure that it have been cut since then, they apparently haven't updated their web-page about it though...

Fun thing about that tower, they cut of 10 meters of the spire after it had reached full height, so it's only 600 meters tall and not 610 meters it was supposed to be and were for a few days. Also Tokyo Sky Tree topped out earlier this month at 634 meters.

The track it rides on looks pretty similar to Arrow/Vekoma... :)

That drop tower would seriously be the summation of fear for me.

That building looks absolutely awesome. I would love to go there and check it out. The colors at night are a nice touch too.

Would definitely do it. Always out to find the best freefall feeling you can get on anything apart from sky diving and all that.

Ollie. Something like that would give me a heart attack, lol. Anyway, it's amazing when lit up at night. I'd definitely give that a try :--D

I'd like to see this in action. In a slight diversion: Does anybody remember the tower that was going to be built in Birmingham that had a drop tower from the top all the way to the bottom floor? It also had a flight trainer on it?

^Yeah, I went past the site a few weeks ago on the train and there was just chavs playing football on rubble and needles, so, I think it got spited tbh :p

Anyway, yeah, some research says the tower is open until 10pm (though no mention of ride opening times... hmmm), so, we're going to mince here in August. Thanks for the heads up Gayvin <3

I'd do it, even though I'd be terrified just like I was on the Stratosphere rides! That tower is amazing too, especially at night.

By the way Ben, the ferris wheel is NOT a cred.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I'd do it, even though I'd be terrified just like I was on the Stratosphere rides! That tower is amazing too, especially at night.

By the way Ben, the ferris wheel is NOT a cred.

Girl... You've been on the Stratosphere rides?? Lucky, lol. My next trip to Vegas I'm definitely doing them... All of them lol. Did they scare you ****less?

Screw that. I went to top of Stratosphere, but you couldn't get me on those rides, let alone this drop tower.

^ A couple of years ago, I was visiting Vegas and me and a few of my friends went to the top of Stratosphere too. It was... Amazing. I may have almost **** myself, but it was worth it. I'm definitely... Definitely getting on those rides. Specially the X Scream.

Come on, you can do it :--D