What's new

Grand opening PTR: Happy Hollow Park and Zoo 20/03/10

King Ghidorah

Roller Poster
Hi everyone. New guy here but have been a long, LONG time CF lurker. Great site, everyone here seems pretty cool. A little late here, but I figured the opening of a new local park was a good excuse for me to finally join CF and post a photo trip report.

Now this is basically just a small children's park, but for the first time in almost a century, my city (San Jose, CA) has an actual real credit! And despite it only being a small Miler family coaster, it's 1 of only 2 new for 2010 coasters in the entire western U.S., which makes it especially special! So I'll preface this report with a warning that this isn't a big coaster report, just an opportunity to show my new local park, will hopefully entice some of you to visit on your next credit hopping holiday to the San Francisco Bay Area.

And technically this was actually a re-opening/imagining of a local city-owned park that originally first opened back in 1961. After closing almost 2 years ago and $72 million US dollars (47,934,500 GBP) later, the park reopened to the public on the first day of spring, Saturday 20/03/10. If you have any interest in the park's history, there's a great article on their website: http://dev.hhpz.org/index.cfm/id/83/

Not much at all of the original park was left untouched, they pretty much scrapped everything and built a completely brand new park. The park was also built to become a LEED (Leaders in Energy and Environmental Design) Certified facility. According to U.S. Green Building Council, Happy Hollow Park & Zoo is now the first LEED certified Zoo and Amusement project in the entire United States. Green components such as green (growing) roofs with native plant species to provide habitat for wildlife, radiant flooring for cooling and heating of buildings - no HVAC in buildings, with the exception of the restaurant and part of the medical building, porous asphalt paving, sustainable storm water management - designed to keep all rainfall on site, clerestory windows in all buildings for lighting and heating & cooling are just a few of the Green improvements made during the transformation. If any interest in this aspect of the park, you can read more here: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show ... z0iwc9y1pJ

Anyways, enough talk, onto the pictures. Don't have the best camera here and it takes even worse pics in crappy light, so these won't be the best, but will at least give you an idea of what the park has to offer. Here's the all new entrance plaza/ticket booths, with these cool little bronze-like critter statues all over
HH1.jpg

HH2A.jpg

The first of many dragons in this report!
HH3A.jpg

Cross-dressing rodents
HH5A.jpg

And transvestite tortoises!
HH4A.jpg

Park Map
HH6A.jpg

Park mascot Danny the Dragon
HH7A.jpg

More dragon love
HH8A.jpg

One of the many new birthday rental areas
HH9A.jpg

New food outlet
HH10A.jpg

New barnyard critter area
HH11A.jpg

HH12A.jpg

HH13A.jpg

aaawww!
HH14A.jpg

The new landscaping throughout the entire park is also really well done, especially in the new Zoo areas
HH15A.jpg

furries
HH16A.jpg

HH16B.jpg

Giggle Grove is the new rides area, here's a few of the offerings
HH17A.jpg

The frog on top looked constipated!
HH18A.jpg

The beautiful new "Keep Around Carousel" near the park entrance, featuring endangered animals, with a few mythical ones throw in for fun
HH19A.jpg

HH20A.jpg

HH21A.jpg

My personal favorite, the dragon seahorse!
HH22A.jpg

Just beautiful!
HH23A.jpg

The Danny the Dragon ride, one of the few remains from the original park, completely redone
HH24A.jpg

Trackless! (the driver doesn't actually "drive", Danny's guided by a wire imbedded in the concrete)
HH25A.jpg

Lovin' the new dragon train!
HH26A.jpg

And finally the all new coaster credit, Pacific Fruit Express
HH27A.jpg

Unlike most coasters in California that are set up far away from the midway and guest access, the queue for PFE winds very closely in and around the coaster, providing great photo ops
HH27B.jpg

Inside the station
HH28A.jpg

First drop fun
HH29A.jpg

HH30A.jpg

HH31A.jpg

Just really surprising how close you're allowed to get to it!
HH32A.jpg

Here's the hill after the headchopper ;)
HH33A.jpg

A better view of the airtime hill
HH34A.jpg

Into the twisty helix
HH35A.jpg

HH36A.jpg

And a few twisty hops back to the station
HH37A.jpg

First drop POV
HH38A.jpg

Helix POV
HH39A.jpg

Would have been a great pic if not for the crappy lighting/camera :(
HH40A.jpg

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the tour, thanks for reading everyone!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Awwwww, jealous!

This is exactly the kind of park family_furie love visiting. It looks really friendly and a bit silly. Just kind of sweet and fun.

It's great seeing more slightly off the wall parks :) Many thanks.

Aw, this place looks so cute for kids! It reminds me of some of the smaller parks in my area where you just go to enjoy a nice, relaxing day out. At least this one has a credit, though!

King Ghidorah

Roller Poster
^^^ Yea, they had 1 train op and 1 poor girl operating the entire thing all by herself. The opening was much publicized, but by now I imagine lines are no where near where they were on that day.

^^ Thank you for the comments guys! I also love visiting small quirky parks like this too, don't need 15 megacoasters for me to enjoy myself. Our region really seems to be growing with these types of fun little parks (always had SCBB, then we got Gilroy Gardens, and now this!).

Nic

Strata Poster
That park looks awesome. Exactly the kind of place that I love to go to on a nice day with a good bunch of mates, and just have FUN!

King Ghidorah

Roller Poster
^ Good to hear I was able to properly convey the spirit of the place (we were a trio of grown adults with no kids, still had a great time!).

Great screen name BTW! :lol: