What's new

Gold Mine at BPB - still in operation?

cp23

Mega Poster
Another BPB-related question. Does anyone know if the Gold Mine is currently operating? I love dark rides and was disappointed to find it closed last year (the only time I've been to Blackpool). I'm going back in a couple of weeks' time and and would love to be able to ride it.

The website has it listed under "family attractions" but the park map on the website doesn't list it, so I'm slightly concerned it might not actually be open.

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah people went on it at the live. It does seem to close a lot though so must only be open at certain times during he day or something.

cp23

Mega Poster
Fingers crossed it's open when I go! I wonder why it's closed so often, I think I remember reading last year (googled it when I got back to see why it had been closed) that it had something to do with high running costs/the park just generally trying to save a bit of money.

alexr

Hyper Poster
Yes, It's still open however may close soon to be turned into a Wallace and Grommit Attraction. The ride has been sbno through out the past few years and mainly opens when it's either busy or one of the other big rides are closed due to rain ect.

cp23

Mega Poster
It was open :) Really enjoyed it actually, and I do hope it remains open and doesn't get turned into a Wallace and Gromit ride (not that I have anything against the idea of a Wallace and Gromit ride per se, just think this ride should stay as it is).

Aaron

Hyper Poster
I love it. It's amazing. One of my favourite dark rides in the world

(of course by which I mean I love all dark rides haha)

Communicating through the ether... (tapatalk)

cp23

Mega Poster
There was a lot more in there than I expected, and it really is very well done - you genuinely do feel a bit like you're taking a tour of a mine.

I heard one kid getting off and saying to his parents - "Well *that* was a complete waste of time". Probably should have injured him.

I actually prefer Gold Mine to River Caves.

Ben

CF Legend
Mysterious Sue said:
Ohh Ben *headdesk*

Yeah, it's such a cute ride, I hope they don't slap a brand across it - it would destroy the charm

What?

If it was outside EVERYONE would count it. It's not my fault I have the cerebal capacity to imagine what it's like without the building...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
cp23 said:
I heard one kid getting off and saying to his parents - "Well *that* was a complete waste of time".

Probably mine - good lad! Shows promise.

cp23 said:
I actually prefer Gold Mine to River Caves.

Credibility is best suited to somebody else, somebody with a clue... ;)

The River Caves is awful, but in a "they didn't know any better 70 years ago and at least it's got variety" kind of way. It's nostalgic.

I remember Gold Mine not a long time after it opened, and it was pathetic then. It's even more pathetic now because it's not seen an update in 30 years since they put in Indiana Jones in Carbonite (which is not just the only stand out item in Gold Mine, but is actually the only stand out item of any dark ride ever - but it still doesn't excuse the ride from being complete and utter crap).

Ben said:
What?

If it was outside EVERYONE would count it. It's not my fault I have the cerebal capacity to imagine what it's like without the building...

I support Ben on this one. If you count powered coasters and things like those stupid Butterfly things, then you're on the slippery slope and you are morally obliged to count things like Goldmine. It's all or nothing, stop pansy arseing about in the middle and have the balls to count the whole lot, or move over to the dark side and do it my way ;)

Lofty

CF Legend
Damn. I love Goldmine as it is. I'd be seriously pissed off if this Wallace and Gromit thing becomes reality. I mean, Wallace and Gromit are actually DIRE. Everything about it makes me skin crawl. Especially the accent used </3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
-lofty- said:
Damn. I love Goldmine as it is. I'd be seriously pissed off if this Wallace and Gromit thing becomes reality. I mean, Wallace and Gromit are actually DIRE. Everything about it makes me skin crawl. Especially the accent used </3
Careful. You're heading dangerously close to a ban. Wallace & Grommit are awesome. One of the most original, well produced and ingenious pieces of media EVER.

I don't know if I'd want a ride themed to them though, it'd probably feel quite cheap.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
W&G used to be good, when it was original and stuff. Now it's all a bit over egged and over merchandised.