What's new

Going Underground

Ollie

CF Legend
AltonTowersFan said:
As far as I know furie, I didn't write that post :shock:
Could someone be hacking my CF account?
Haha I remember when I was a noob and made that excuse because I was wrong once. :p
Why would anyone want to hack your account on a coaster nerd website and post something?

AltonTowersFan

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
AltonTowersFan said:
As far as I know furie, I didn't write that post :shock:
Could someone be hacking my CF account?
Haha I remember when I was a noob and made that excuse because I was wrong once. :p
Why would anyone want to hack your account on a coaster nerd website and post something?
Not joking...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well according to my quick bit of research (not really anything tbh), both that post and the one you claim isn't yours were posted from the same IP address. That suggests either you posted it, or someone used your computer to post it. Either way, it came from your house/machine. ;)

Ollie

CF Legend
Busted.gif

AltonTowersFan

Mega Poster
Hixee said:
^Well according to my quick bit of research (not really anything tbh), both that post and the one you claim isn't yours were posted from the same IP address. That suggests either you posted it, or someone used your computer to post it. Either way, it came from your house/machine. ;)
Well, I am in a boarding school, and I usualy leave my computer on :oops: so I guess it's a room-mate

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Or you dont want to admit you made a stupid post and are trying to make yourself not look stupid. Give it up, we all do it at some point.

Sent from my throne

Ollie

CF Legend
AltonTowersFan said:
Well, I am in a boarding school, and I usualy leave my computer on :oops: so I guess it's a room-mate
Yes but why would a room mate go on your PC, go on CF, come to this topic and make that post? :p

mouse

Giga Poster
Anyway, back to the subject.
In the hole does it just flatten out or is there still a bit of verticall-ness? (If its a word)

Ethan

Strata Poster
AltonTowersFan said:
I was looking at this topic when they rang the bell for callover. So I left the computer on, with this topic on.
But why would they post something like that? About drop towers? Students post rude and funny things on peoples accounts, not things that are meant to sound intelligent.

AltonTowersFan

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
AltonTowersFan said:
I was looking at this topic when they rang the bell for callover. So I left the computer on, with this topic on.
But why would they post something like that? About drop towers? Students post rude and funny things on peoples accounts, not things that are meant to sound intelligent.
Dunno. Perhaps someone who likes Alton Towers?

choluby

Roller Poster
AltonTowersFan said:
Ethan said:
AltonTowersFan said:
Dunno. Perhaps someone who likes Alton Towers?

You like alton towers!

(AltonTowersFan)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Guys with the spam... stop it :p

Anyway, going all the way back to the first page...

Smithy said:
I can't quite figure it out either Hixee from those pics, in the distance on the first one it looks like the rubble and the fresh concrete for the drop aren't touching but then there's mesh on the side which you'd think was in place to pour fresh stuff. Can't tell.

Only reason I wondered was that it'd be an absolutely immense weight pressing down onto the roof of that tunnel if it was entirely filled, but if it was kept mostly hollow surely vibrations would be an issue?

Generally, the deeper a tunnel is in relation to the tunnel size, the more stable it is. It's easy to think of the tunnel roof as just holding the huge pile of dirt, but it's actually not that simple. Essentially, the stuff they dump into the hole when they're finished compacts and "becomes one" with the surrounding rock (can't think of a good way to phrase that to make it obvious). There's a load of redistribution of stresses in the ground that make it.

Also, the arched roof is important. What an arch will do is distribute compressive stress in the earth (e.g. due to having huge loads of rubble dumped on it) laterally across the surface of the tunnel in ways I don't completely understand. It's the reason arches are so popular in civil engineering. You can make structures like:

http://www.brantacan.co.uk/Arches1D.gif

to hold a huge amount of weight without anything holding the blocks together. If you push down in the centre, the load spreads out over the whole arch.

Anyway, you've got my interest in this now, so Googling stuff will commence.

*disclaimer* I'm not a civil engineer, but our course is a "jack-of-all-trades, master of sod all" affair

Jake

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
Oblivion has a drop of 180ft, but is only 65ft above the ground. That means its sitting in a 115ft hole (at least).

Not really.

The 65ft is the LIFT HILL height. When you take into account the elevation of the station already, plus the 20ft or so that the area around the hole is buried:

jvm858gdf006280025qlgh.jpg

I'd say that the true above ground height is around 100ft, with the other 80 being underground.

So, more of Oblivion's drop height is actually above ground. Perhaps they were a bit creative with the statistics to sweeten the local community...

Smithy

Strata Poster
So basically JayJay, and this will be awful, the forces will spread outwards when the hole is filled ( in a sort of / \ direction) rather than in a ( v ) direction. Glad to have peaked some interest though :p