What's new

Gliding - PTR

Rush

Giga Poster
Photos are not professional, pretty poor quality and about the content, not the overall effect.

Right, first some background stuff, I am part of a youth organisation known as The Air Training Corp, (or most commonly known as the Air Cadets.) basically, it is a voluntary organisation which is like a taster of the RAF. So we often do lots of activities and stuff such as camps, climbing, community work as well as flying and gliding.

On Saturday, (20.6) I was picked to go Gliding. Usually, we have to get up at some god-early time to arrive at the airfield and we get about 20 - 30 minutes in the air before heading back again. Saturday, was what the staff called "Longest Day Gliding" which they tried to get as many cadets gliding as possible. We were alloted a 2 - 3pm slot and so we arrived at Dalton Barracks, near Oxford for 1:30pm.

On arrival, we have to watch a safety video which shows us how to put on the parachute, what will happen and what to do in an emergency. After this, we're taken in a jeep across the main runway to where a large caravan is parked. This caravan is a temporary radio control station and usually it is where we spend most of the day. However, as there were more cadets there than usual we ended up sitting outside.

Here is the aircraft that I will be flying:
Picture009.jpg

You may be asking, "why does the glider have a propeller?" There are two types of glider which we fly at Cadets. This one is a "Vigilant" which is a powered glider, you can easily use them to take off and switch off the engine to get the gliding experience as well. The other type is a "Viking" and it doesn't have an engine. Instead it uses a winch cable to take off. I haven't been in one of these yet as the nearest place they fly them from is Croydon.

A vigilant taking off.
Picture004.jpg

A very poor shot but this was the best one I could get of one landing.
Picture013.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture014.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, we were supposed to be going up between 2 to 3, but poor weather in the morning and other cadets turning up at the wrong slots :)roll:) meant that we were delayed by 5 1/2 hours! This was spent in the caravan and through various trips to and back from the briefing room for toilet breaks. What was more annoying was that I hadn't eaten since 11 and had run out of snacks to feed me. Not good.

Me strutting about in my irresistable flying coveralls. :p
Picture017.jpg

Eventually at around 10 to 7 I was called up and put into one of the aircraft. We always glide with an instructor who sits in the right seat obviously as we don't have that much experience. So whilst my instructor carried out the routine safety checks, I took a random photo of across the wing...
Picture018.jpg

..and of my speckled mug.
Picture020.jpg

Our aircraft then taxied to the end of the runway and soon we were rolling along it.
Picture021.jpg

The actual take-off isn't as exhilirating or as forceful as that of a commercial jet, however being able to see a lot better is a bonus. Here the glider is just lifting off.
Picture022.jpg

Going up, over the biking course.
Picture023.jpg

Then we turned round and I got a shot of the airfield going over.
Picture024.jpg

At this point, the instructor turned the engine off and let me fly. I re-capped a lot of the basic stuff such as rolling, (turning the glider to the left and the right) pitching, (making the glider ascend and descend) and yawing. (Tilting the plane to the left and right through the use of the rudder pedals.) You can get some good positive G's by tilting the stick back and pitching upwards. Negative G's are also possible but you're usually strapped in too securely to feel any airtime.

My instructor then taught me some more advanced stuff which I'll probably forget on my next flight. At this point we were told we couldn't land as a cadet was flying solo. (More on that later.) This meant I got an extra 20 minutes which was a huge bonus. The instructor took control and flew over Oxford so that I could get some shots.

Not amazing quality due to having a shoddy camera and being 4000ft up :p but you can make out some of the university buildings.
Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Oh, and one of myself because you can't get enough of me. :lol:
Picture030.jpg

I also took a picture of some of the cockpit indicators.
Picture028.jpg

The top left one (Air Speed Indicator) shows the speed in knotts, 55 for us. The one to the right is the "Artificial Horizon" and shows whether you're flying straight and level. The two yellow lines when flying straight and level should match up with the white line. If they are slanted then it means that the aircraft is flying towards the left or the right. If the yellow lines are below the white line it indicates you're descending, and if they are above it means you are ascending.

To the right of that (Altimeter) tells you the height you're flying at. The big hand indicates 100ft and the little hand is 1000ft. So it's showing that we're flying at 4000ft. To its right is the G Metre, as you can see we're not pulling much at the moment. :p The bottom left indicator (Slip Indicator) with the ball shows whether you are yawing to the left or right. If the ball is in the middle then the aircraft is perfectly straight.

As for the other 3 indicators, they are the "RPM Gauge" and "Vertical Speed Indicator" which I can't remember what they do. The bottom right is the clock, which is clearly wrong.

Didcot Power Station is in the distance.
Picture032.jpg

We then looked at the guy doing his solo from above and watched him do a circuit and land.
Picture033.jpg

Once given the all clear, it was unfortunately time for us to land. The instructor took control and as we were doing so the wind randomly changed causing the aircraft to drop suddenly which gave an awesome pop of air. We flew over the main army barracks.
Picture034.jpg

These air brakes then popped up, which altered the airflow over the wing and caused the glider to descend (at quite a steep rate) I must add.
Picture035.jpg

About to touch down on the runway.
Picture036.jpg

Afterwards I got out and waited for the rest of my group to land in their gliders. Whilst doing so, this weird plane in garish colours which only Taylor would like went past.
Picture038.jpg

The Red Arrows also flew nearby, presumably practising for the Air Tatoo in a few weeks.
Picture040.jpg

I got a final shot of the aircraft.
Picture041.jpg

Then we headed back, a lot later than expecting however the 5 1/2 hour wait was totally worth the extra time in the air and it wasn't like we were with moaning, chavvy, queue jumpers who smoked. :wink:

So that ends my gliding session, I have applied for a "Gliding Scholarship" which means I come down to Dalton Barracks every Saturday or Sunday and I am taught to fly the Vigilant by myself. So I learn everything in more detail and at the end I perform a solo flight (which is what that guy was doing that we had to wait for) and get some sort of liscence at the end of it. :D

So, that's the end of my report.

Hope you enjoyed reading it. :--D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I love the way you write, it's tabloidy with a tinge of informative professionalism. Always entertaining.

But yeah anyway, that must be more exhilarating than any rollercoaster. Looks like great fun, Wish my parents encouraged me to do this sort of **** when I was in my early/mid teens.

Rush

Giga Poster
Thanks very much Ian.

We also fly another aircraft which is the Tutor, a trainee plane which is much more manoueverable and can do aerobatics which easily exceed 6G, far more thrilling than the average rollercoaster. :wink:

I'll make sure I do another report when I get in one of those again.

Peter

Hyper Poster
Woo! I love gliding and am a member of my University Gliding Club, hopefully going to be starting my full training for my solo license at the end of the summer. Look out for me at Lasham Gliding Club if you ever go there. :)

Aerobatics in a glider are extremely intense. It's amazing how much G they can pull (and how much the wings bend! :lol: ). Not only can they pull more G's than a coaster, but they're also sustained G's. Have you tried a winch launch yet, where they basically attach a giant elastic band to the glider and launch you to about 80knots and 2,000ft in a matter of seconds? That's fun!

Btw, the "Vertical Speed Indicator" tells you if you are climbing or descending. It tells you how many feet per minute your are going up/down. The "Artificial Horizon" is called an "Attitude Indicator" and shows the pitch and roll of the aircraft. Just because you're pitching up doesn't mean you're actually climbing.

I also used to be in the Air Cadets back when I was at school so have also had a go at flying the Tutor at Boscombe Down airfield. The leaders of my unit were crap though, so in the end I left and took up flying in my own time instead. :p

Whilst doing so, this weird plane in garish colours which only Taylor would like went past.

It's the Mc-colours! What is there to not like?!

But this looks awesome anyway, like, I would definitely never do it because I only fly when absolutely necessary due to it scaring the crap out of me, but hey, looks like you did a good job. How were you having photo shoots and stuff when you were flying a plane though?

Rush

Giga Poster
Peter said:
Woo! I love gliding and am a member of my University Gliding Club, hopefully going to be starting my full training for my solo license at the end of the summer. Look out for me at Lasham Gliding Club if you ever go there. :)

Well we only go gliding in Abingdon, but if I change squadrons or move away then I might get the opputunity to go there. :--D

Aerobatics in a glider are extremely intense. It's amazing how much G they can pull (and how much the wings bend! :lol: ). Not only can they pull more G's than a coaster, but they're also sustained G's. Have you tried a winch launch yet, where they basically attach a giant elastic band to the glider and launch you to about 80knots and 2,000ft in a matter of seconds? That's fun!

These particular gliders aren't really designed for aerobatics but you get some really strong G's for just pitching up. I do prefer aeros in the Tutor however, mainly because it's so much more flexible.

I really, REALLY want to try a winch launch, but the closest place they do them is in Croydon which is out of our area but it sounds and looks incredibly fun!

Btw, the "Vertical Speed Indicator" tells you if you are climbing or descending. It tells you how many feet per minute your are going up/down. The "Artificial Horizon" is called an "Attitude Indicator" and shows the pitch and roll of the aircraft. Just because you're pitching up doesn't mean you're actually climbing.

That's a much better way of putting it, I was never brilliant at explaining things in that way! :p

I also used to be in the Air Cadets back when I was at school so have also had a go at flying the Tutor at Boscombe Down airfield. The leaders of my unit were crap though, so in the end I left and took up flying in my own time instead. :p

Awesome, I know of one other CFer who's a Cadet but it's interesting to hear of someone else's experience. I must admit, our CO is a bit crap as well but the benefits from Cadets outweigh that.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
It's the Mc-colours! What is there to not like?!

They're horribly bright, clash badly and look awful on an aircraft. :p

But this looks awesome anyway, like, I would definitely never do it because I only fly when absolutely necessary due to it scaring the crap out of me, but hey, looks like you did a good job. How were you having photo shoots and stuff when you were flying a plane though?

At that point the instructor was flying the aircraft for me so I could get some shots, so at least if I **** up then he's there to take over. The main control stick only requires one hand to operate because the glider is quite sensitive anyway.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Great report Rush and some nice photos too. That Air Training Corp programme sounds brilliant and seems like a good way to encourage people into the RAF.

Would love to have a go at something like that and I bet the experience is totally different than a powered aircraft.

Ollie

CF Legend
I would love to this once but don't want to do all the other cadet stuff. :p
Looks like a good experience though and was interesting to read to find out what all the indicator things meant.

We get alot of gliders around where I live. Although they're the ones that have an aircraft pull them up behind it with a cable which they then release and glide back down.