What's new

Glasses

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
Before anyone starts, yes i did search for this question before i posted, but my dilemma is that i love coasters, and i wear glasses, contact lenses do not agree with my eyes so i am kind of stuck, and to stress to you how bad my problem is i cant just leave them off all the time because i am effectivley blind without them on.

so finally i am due for a trip to Alton Towers tomorrow and have never had the balls to leave my glasses on on anything bigger than th13teen, so do you guys think that my glasses would be okay on the bigger rides and wont just fly off, and is there a pretty certain way of ensuring that your glasses dont fly off.

Somone that actually wears glasses' opinions would be best appreciated, but all comments welcome.

thanks in advanced.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I don't wear glasses, but I believe what you need to do is find some glasses straps. Just a strap that attatches to each end of your glasses and tightens around the back of your head. Don't wear glasses normally on the ride. I don't know how well they'd stay on but I'd rather be safe than have to fork out more money for another pair.

Ben

CF Legend
Glasses strap!

They're NOWHERE in UK (or even European parks), but Opticians should sell them.

They're brilliant. I REALLY need some more...

neo

Mega Poster
I’m in the same situation with glasses. However I bought a sports spec strap from Boots which cost around £4.00. I’ve since visited Alton Towers, Thorpe Park etc. with the strap and had no problems. Usually on the bigger coasters and more specifically on Rita the ride ops question them, but they usually allow it since they’re secured.

Misters on coasters can be annoying (e.g. oblivion), as they effectively fog the glasses up and subsequently they need drying, but it’s not too much of an issue. I certainly wouldn’t recommend going on anything with negative G without securing your glasses as you'll probably lose them (which can be a problem if you don’t carry spares!).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I wear glasses without the strap (BALLSY!) on many rides.

If it goes 65+ miles or puts you in very intriguing positions (flying, lots of inversions, etc.), I will usually take them off, but leave them on outside of that.

Looking at the list of rides at Alton, the only rides I would not wear my glasses for would be Oblivion and Air. Other than that, you will be fine.

Ben

CF Legend
^Not really true...

I did a 16 day tour of the East Coast of the US in 2008, and wore glasses, without straps, on EVERYTHING. Inverts, Floorless coasters, all types of coasters that invert... and my glasses didn't come off. Well, they didn't until the VERY last day when I rode Phoenix (a Wooden coaster, doesn't invert) and they flew off...

Avoid STRONG airtime more than inversions... Or just buy straps...

Peter

Hyper Poster
I used to wear glasses (have contacts now) and was mostly fine at Alton without the use of glasses straps. I used to wear them on everything besides Oblivion (although I think they would be fine) and Rita (the ride-op's always made me take them off.) Generally they're fine on most coasters, you just have to be wary off strong airtime like Ben said.

Getting a strap is by far the easiest option, and means you can wear them on any ride without fear of them falling off. Ride op's will usually allow you to wear glasses on a ride which normally would not allow them if you have a strap.

MinteButtons

Mega Poster
MinteButtons said:
If it goes upside down, the glasses come off.

Sorry, I meant that as in, if the ride goes upside down then I will take my specs off and leave them in my bag, not that they will come off on the coaster. :)

RCF

Strata Poster
If it's to where there's a chance of them flying off (inversions and stuff like that) they're off. Anything else, they're on.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Don't we sell CF glasses straps? Hmm... I planned on buying one one day...

bazpa

Hyper Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Don't we sell CF glasses straps? Hmm... I planned on buying one one day...

They are out of stock atm and have been for a while - but I'm sure they'll get some more in eventually, for the short term problem though they used to sell them in ASDA where Ian got me a pair for £1 a few years ago - they look just like a pair of boot laces.

They fit over the ends of your glasses and the strap goes round the back of your head, they'll not fall of on any ride then, and you get to tell the ride ops "I've got a strap-on"

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
^^^^ Lol, thanks for all the great answers, i am back after a great weekend, and i managed to keep my glasses on all weekend long, as you guys suggested i found an "Advanced Sports Glasses Strap" in the Sport Soccer shop, to be fair it worked realy well, i cant thank you guys enough for solving my problem.

Coaster Force Rules :--D :--D :--D :--D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I do have some CF glasses straps, they do they job although I'm not overly keen on the design.

I'll get round to flogging them cheap in the very near future.

stuartredman1

Roller Poster
I wear mine without the strap all the time. The only time I have a problem is on bumpy SLC's because my head hits the restraints making my glasses fly all over my face. Otherwise There fine even on the most intense rides.

wabbit42

Mega Poster
Normally I take them off. They always stay on for Air and 13 though. Also all the coasters at BGE were fine to wear them on.

Mike

Giga Poster
I wear my CF strap-on (teehee) for pretty much everything apart from kiddie/slower coasters, most flat rides (which I rarely go on anyway) and water rides.

They do an excellent job, although I take them off right after riding as they're quite uncomfortable and I don't want to look any more dorksome then I already do. :p

Ollie

CF Legend