What's new

Germany & Belgium: Part 7 (Rheinkirmes Düsseldorf)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I'm doing many small trips to nearby parks in the near future, so I decided to just make a topic for all of them. These are the parks I'm planning to do soon/have already done:

-Movie Park Germany
-Bellewaerde
-Plopsaland De Panne
-Bobbejaanland
-Walibi Belgium
-Tripsdrill
-Rheinkirmes

Not sure which order these will be in, but I'll start with the park I visited yesterday.

Part 1: Movie Park Germany

I've been wanting to do this park for a while but never got around to actually going. I suggested to my sister that we should go to Germany so that she can go shopping with her friend, and my best friend and I could visit Movie Park. She loved the idea so we set the date to 10th of April. After a 1,5 hour drive we arrived at the park. The weather forecast said it would be amazing weather all day, but I did not expect so many crowds. It's a school day right? Wrong. It was actually spring break in Germany, which in combination with the weather led to immense crowds.

11134008_470830293067810_8843453730430174602_o.jpg

The day started awful. It was 10:00 when we arrived so the park had already opened. We both had free access once with our Efteling pass, so we joined the long queue to get the free tickets. After 25 minutes we finally got to the ticket booth but then they said we should actually go to the info desk. That one had an even longer queue so it was already 11:00 when we finally got our tickets and entered the park. The main street had a Hollywood-ish theme which isn't really my kind of theming. I felt uncomfortable walking on the road and I even caught myself looking left and right for cars when crossing it. I wanted to take photos but realised I forgot to put my memory card back into my camera, so enjoy my crappy phone photos :p .

10514157_470833049734201_7030365952853576289_o.jpg

First up was Lost Temple, but it had a 45 minute queue so we decided to skip it for now. Van Helsing's Factory was further down the road, with a board saying 60 minutes. We did not fancy waiting for that so long either just yet, so we moved on to the dreaded coaster corner of doom. Bandit said 30 minutes so we did that first. It was one of the ugliest queue areas I've seen and it moved slowly which was really frustrating. I couldn't get a much worse first impression than this. The ride itself was okay. Not nearly as rough as I was expecting, but a bit unexciting as well. It was pretty lengthy which I enjoyed. Don't see why it is hated so much to be honest. 6/10.

11057920_470833283067511_8532593723468710209_o.jpg

Next was the other beauty. The park's parking lot SLC called MP Xpress. I had heard it's one of the worst SLCs so it took me a while to convince my friend to go on it with me. Thankfully the queue was relatively short; we went on the third row after 20 minutes or so. Obviously it wasn't fun. It rides the same as El Condor, which means it's a bit jerky but not brutal. I still rank it lower than El Condor because it feels more plonked. 4,5/10.

11146405_470833196400853_297665883481300826_o.jpg

It was around 13:00 so far. Two mediocre coasters done in 3 hours after the opening time. I tried to keep an open mind about the park though. I wanted to do Van Helsing next to finally do a quality ride. We walked past the Disk-o coaster and I realised I've never ridden that model. I've only done the small version at Liseberg. It didn't have much of a queue so we gave it a go. The hill in the middle adds so much to the ride type! It was much more interesting than the Liseberg version, and I really liked it. We skipped the frisbee. The entire Santa Monica pier felt very plonked and didn't have any proper theming.

1502312_470833299734176_1038007508589447878_o.jpg

Then it was finally time for Van Helsing's Factory. I heard really good things about that so I was excited. The queue had some cool effects that I eventually got sick of because we had to queue 50 minutes for it. After waiting so long, a ride often disappoints, this was no exception. While the coaster itself was wilder and more fun than I thought it would be, I found the theming to be lacking mostly. During the first half the theming felt very cheap-ish, and the second half barely even had any theming. It also wasn't dark enough which killed a bit of the immersion. Still a very fun ride though. If the queue was shorter I would've re-ridden. It had a couple of nice turns, twists and drops. 7/10.

11154950_470830296401143_1641030414462032507_o.jpg

We decided to skip the drop tower, which had a long queue, until we've done at least the creds and other must-rides in the park. I don't really like drop towers anyway unless they have a special twist to it (Mystery Castle) or if the view is great (Katapulten). We got a delicious pizza and then moved on to the other half of the park. I'm not a big fan of the look of the Nickelodeon area. I'm not too keen on overly colourful cartoony looking areas in theme parks so far and this one in particular felt very cheap.

First we wanted to do the river rapids because it was very warm. Mystery River is the name, a name that would fit well for the rapids in Phantasialand to go along with Mystery Castle in the Mystery area :wink: . Queue time was only 20ish minutes thankfully. These rapids seriously came out of nowhere! I barely knew it existed until a week or so ago, but they're AMAZING. What it lacks in the rapids effects department, it makes up for with excellent theming all around the ride. It started indoor with some cool light effects and environments, then it went outside where everybody except for me got quite soaked because of many big splashes. After that it went indoors again and it was pitch black at parts, which made it feel quite out of control because you didn't see all the water coming. At this point it was my turn to get wet, and I loved it. Some parts were quite speedy as well! Everybody got off with a smile and it was just a beautiful ride overall. It feels more like a dark ride with rapids elements than a river rapids though. Up there with River Quest as my fave rapids <3 8,5/10.

10258039_470830299734476_2245059716423853581_o.jpg

Back in Nickelodeon land, we wanted to do the creds now. First up was Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Flyer, a Vekoma SFC. While this one was very short and small, I really like these SFCs. They are some of the most comfortable and enjoyable family coasters around in my opinion. Obviously this one was dull, but I loved Kvasten and I'm sure I'd love Orkanen even more. I wish parks would build bigger versions of these, with multiple trains. While Vekoma's thrill rides are mostly crap, I find that they build the best family coasters of all manufacturers so far. With their mine trains, SFCs, indoor coasters, family boomerangs, motorbike coasters and more, they have a wide variety of solid family rides. 6/10.

1502312_470832949734211_5828936480080913327_o.jpg

The other two creds were a +1 kiddie coaster called Backyardigans: Mission to Mars and a standard wild mouse. For some reason we got a lot of airtime down the drops in the wild mouse, which made it more enjoyable as my friend and I laughed all the way through. Our lap bar was very loose as well. We skipped the log flume because it was just a standard model with a cheap looking Dora theme. With the creds done, we checked the map to see which other rides had to be done. We realised we still had two big rides we missed near the entrance, so we went there next.

11074874_470832999734206_8310439648063544745_o.jpg

11103110_470832946400878_3526529869718901968_o.jpg

1617838_470832906400882_234051471358830137_o.jpg

First one we rode was The Lost Temple, which is one of those simulator tunnel rides that Bobbejaanland is getting for this season. The queue line was well themed and immersive, so I actually got really excited. The ride itself was really good. I still can't get in simulators though. While this was the best one I've ridden so far, I still very much felt like I was looking at screens instead of actually being part of the ride. I just can't get immersed into simulators, and I'm not sure if that will ever change. I will keep an open mind though, and it was still a fun ride. Give me a good classic dark ride over something like this any day. 7/10.

11154796_470833139734192_1527358333366089218_o.jpg

Also near the entrance was Alien Encounter, a splash boat ride. I liked it. It had a couple of good splashes and some decent yet very random theming. The first drop into darkness seemed to take forever and was quite wet. 6,5/10. With only an hour left we rushed to the Ice Age Adventure dark ride. It was nothing special to be honest. I didn't really understand much of the story, if it even had one. The sets weren't all that good either.

11060857_470833133067526_7630269353412332768_o.jpg

Lastly we went to the Time Riders simulator. Same story as what I said above about Lost Temple, except that this is much older and of lower quality. It literally felt like watching a film while being shaken around in your seat. It hurt more than the two big coasters to be honest. The best thing about the ride was the exterior of the building. It looked pretty cool. 5/10.

11074391_470833463067493_4079966449532934482_o.jpg

10845877_470833496400823_6177680206309977121_o.jpg

We walked back through the main street towards the entrance and noticed a building which used the BioShock font <3

10985968_470833173067522_6751822324030252831_o.jpg

That concludes the day. Despite being very flawed, I still liked Movie Park. The positives first. It has a couple of really interesting rides with Van Helsing, Lost Temple and Alien Encounter. They also have those amazing rapids. The quality of theming is very inconsistent throughout the park. They have rides with great theming like Mystery River, Lost Temple and Alien Encounter, but the entire MP Xpress half of the park is very plonked and bland, and the Nickelodeon part is very cheap looking. They also lack a true signature coaster like EGF, Black Mamba, Blue Fire/Silver Star, Colossos, etc. Still had a great day, and I will probably go back next year to get some re-rides and to ride the stuff that I missed. Out of the four German parks I've visited, I'd rank this the lowest.

Park score: 6,5/10.

Thank you so much for reading!

Next up is probably Bellewaerde and Plopsa.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Re: Germany & Belgium: Part 1 (Movie Park Germany)

I like the style of your report; you have a nice way of presenting and balancing the positives and negatives.

I liked Movie Park more than I expected when I went a couple of years ago, although I do agree that the level of theming is very inconsistent. I thought that Van Helsings Factory was great, but it sounds like some of the effects may not be working anymore because the theming was quite good. Alien Encounter is also fab.

Honestly I thought Mystery River was really ****. It has fantastic theming, but the water never even got close to entering the boat which made it very dull. Maybe I just got a bad ride or they've improved it since because our opinions of it couldn't be more different :)

It's a decent park, but it would be nice if they got a high calibre coaster, as a lot of the smaller/medium-sized parks in Europe have at least one that would fit that category.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed my report :)

It could be that Van Helsing's effects weren't all working, because aside from a couple of things during the pre-lift section and the second lift hill, there was barely any theming. The entire second half was just pitch black. I could also be a bit biased because I was in a bit of a crappy mood after queueing for nearly an hour. I wish I could've re-ridden to get a better opinion on the ride.

If you purely look at Mystery River as a river rapids, it is very lacking indeed. We did all get wet during the splashes, but it lacks variety in effects. I loved it mostly for the theming though. Especially the indoor parts were beautiful. So as a dark ride rapids, I thought it was brilliant. As a traditional rapids, it's one of the worst. I always try to appreciate rides for what they are, not what they are not. So that might be why our opinion differs :) And maybe it was wetter for us because of the warm weather or heavier boat?

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

ThomVD said:
I always try to appreciate rides for what they are, not what they are not. So that might be why our opinion differs

Rude! :)

I guess for me, theming is a great thing, but it can't turn around what I think is a bit of a crappy ride. I guess the reason I don't really like some dark rides is because you could just watch them on a youtube video and get pretty much the same experience. There isn't really an element of excitement, for me anyway.

Also, I don't queue for a rapids ride expecting a nice, gentle boat ride, I want there to be actual rapids and I want to get wet, otherwise the whole point of the ride is lost.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

Yeah, I didn't mean that as a bad or rude thing really :p . I can totally understand and respect that someone expecting a rapids can be disappointed and dissatisfied with the ride, especially if you don't like dark rides. I personally love dark rides, so while Mystery River didn't deliver as a rapids, I loved the dark ride aspects of it. So much in fact, that I'd rank it higher than some actual good rapids (The one in Liseberg for example) as a total experience. I'm sorry if I came off as rude :)

I disagree about what you said about dark rides and youtube though! I find that youtube does more justice to a coaster (if you've ridden similar ones) than some high quality dark rides to be honest, as weird as that sounds :wink:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Cool report! I couldn't agree more that Vekoma makes crap thrill rides and amazing family rides. Enjoy the rest of Germany! :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I totally get your point about the rapids, not that I've been to Movie World. The rapids at Lotte World are among my absolute favourite, even though they're crap as an actual ride, purely down to the fact that the whole thing is indoors and themed really well.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

ThomVD said:
Yeah, I didn't mean that as a bad or rude thing really

I know :)

ThomVD said:
I disagree about what you said about dark rides and youtube though! I find that youtube does more justice to a coaster (if you've ridden similar ones) than some high quality dark rides to be honest, as weird as that sounds

I didn't mean from the standpoint of predicting how much you'd like the ride. I was more referring the levels of excitement you have, which for me on some dark rides isn't too different from watching a video :p

ThomVD

Giga Poster

[strike]-Movie Park Germany[/strike]
-Bellewaerde
-Plopsaland De Panne
-Bobbejaanland
-Walibi Belgium
-Tripsdrill

Part 2: Bellewaerde

It was time for my first major CF trip. Bellewaerde and Plopsaland De Panne. I visited Bellewaerde with John (Peep), Jordan(ovichy), Nic (Nic) and Richard (Stone Cold). First I had a 5 hour train ride to look forward to, with transfers in Rotterdam, Antwerpen and Kortrijk. Train ride went without problems, highlight was the random fair at one of the stops that had a spinning cred. I wanted to get out and ride it but decided not to risk it. Antwerpen Central Station was absolutely massive! Around 11:40 am I arrived at Ieper. A bit later the others arrived to pick me up.

11155113_475774482573391_6028907261041640107_o.jpg

11174319_475774475906725_6844069848544554985_o.jpg

After getting slightly lost at Ieper, we finally arrived at Bellewaerde. As soon as we got in, stuff happened though. Nic got attacked by a bird and got injured. We immediately took her to the first aid. John stayed with her and Richard, Jordan and I went towards the kiddie cred. In the queue Richard was just telling about how he got spited by this cred last time, when we got a text from John that Nic had to be taken to the hospital. After that Nic and Richard left the park and John, Jordan and I stayed to try to make the most out of the day. We also got a photo with the mascot for goon points!

11155137_475774442573395_1172696924239375078_o.jpg

11084106_10155530575455360_2518685300761018995_o.jpg

So we got back in the queue for Keverbaan. It's a standard Zierer Tivoli large model, but riding it in the back seat with CFers made it much more enjoyable. This one has plenty of vibration, slamming onto each other at every turn and stupidly close headchoppers.

After that we wanted to do Huracan, but saw that the topple tower was actually operating! It's called El Volador, and was a very interesting ride. Spinned slightly faster than I was expecting, but was still not very intense. I loved how close the water sprays got though. Overall it was a decent flat, but not exactly a must ride. Still glad that it was open and that I got to experience one before they go extinct.

11182788_475774665906706_6114409797677566246_o.jpg

It was time for Huracan now. I'd heard mixed things about it. I like the entrance of the ride, but the queue itself was a bit dull. The station however was awesome and atmospheric. I got assigned to the back row for my first ride. They put a whole lot of effort into the theming of the pre-lift section. It looked really good though. Then after it goes up the lift, there is a pointless outside bit where all the theming is gone and there's just a bland rooftop of a warehouse. Then it goes inside again. The indoor coaster part is quite decent with a couple of effects. Really solid family coaster overall, but for a signature ride it's just not good enough. 7/10.

11083733_475774642573375_2538330718450888150_o.jpg

Next up was the last cred, Boomerang, which unlike Toverland's kiddie coaster is actually a Vekoma Boomerang. Queue wasn't too bad, the ride was though. It's not completely awful, and not nearly as rough as I was expecting, but it's incredibly bland. Just a normal boomerang without any theming and with the old uncomfortable trains. The brakes are also stupidly sudden and harsh. Speed of Sound is miles better, but this is (one of) the first boomerang(s) if I recall correctly. 5/10.

11174328_475774829240023_2077368673097445035_o.jpg

Bellewaerde is a surprisingly big park, but rides are all close to each other, spread out in a couple of areas in the park. Inbetween there's mostly animal enclosures. It has a nice relaxed feel to it, and there's plenty of nature to enjoy. We ate a hotdog and then moved on to the next ride.

The closest ride was Jungle Mission. It was basically a boat ride with lots of water and smoke effects, some animatronics and actual animal enclosures. It was very nice; there was plenty to see and had a fab tunnel towards the end. Some really decent theming all around the ride.

11121951_475774915906681_9162030427978645777_o.jpg

Then we moved on to the park's madhouse, Houdini. The pre-show started a bit boring and I constantly got pulled out of the story because they switched from Dutch to French the entire time. They repeated all lines in both languages. It ended with a couple of cool effects though. The ride itself is decent. Like most madhouses, it has fab music and like the pre-show, the ride itself had some special effects as well. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle when it comes to the madhouses I've done.

11148806_475774979240008_4847552064908555779_o.jpg

After that we did the rapids, which had the same weird boat with separate sides as Walibi Holland's rapids. The beginning and end were a bit too calm for my taste but the middle part was great with a lot of waves in a row. It wasn't all that wet though. I don't think any of us got properly soaked.

11127829_475774985906674_6367131740453313273_o.jpg

I wanted to ride the Huss shot and drop tower because I had never done any before, so we went towards that area. On the way there we passed a little animal walkthrough area, so we went through there just for some more goon points. The Huss shot and drop, which is more similar to an S&S combo tower, was called Screaming Eagle. It launched up a lot more sudden than the S&S equivalent, which makes that part more interesting, but the drops were really weak. Overall I prefer S&S combo towers like Katapulten in Gröna Lund.

11164665_475775019240004_5336718879382884508_o.jpg

We didn't ride the splash boat ride because we didn't feel like getting completely soaked. By this time Nic and Richard had returned so we went their way. They were on the Keverbaan when we found them. Richard finally got his cred, third time's a charm after all. We then re-rode Huracan and Boomerang. We could enter through the exit because of Nic's injury. Massive respect that she managed to get all the creds done despite all that happened.

We rode River Splash next, the park's log flume. It was a great laugh with CFers and we all got quite wet. Richard thought it was a good idea to try to tilt the boat over. Thankfully nobody got hurt this time though. It was a nice flume with only one drop. After that we re-rode the Jungle Mission ride. In the end we wanted to do the Tiger train but everything was closed sadly.

10630641_475775079239998_4634189383950403864_o.jpg

Bellewaerde is a lovely park. It's pretty big, has really good theming at some places and I love the combination of zoo and theme park-ness. I think the main thing that lets it down is the lack of a true signature ride. Huracan was a really good family coaster but nothing more. Jungle Mission was fun but not exactly a highlight either. There aren't a whole lot of rides, as we got everything we wanted including re-rides done in around 4,5 hours. It did help that it was very quiet.

Park Score: 7/10.

We went back to the hotel, had dinner in a restaurant near our hotel in France and in the evening we played random games, watched French Simpsons and went to sleep. Next up is the big CF meet up at Plopsaland, which apparently has a water park since this year!

Thanks for reading!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Re: Germany & Belgium: Part 2 (Bellewaerde)

Great report and Huracan looks like a fantastic family coaster, but have to agree that it should not be a parks signature ride.

When you say Nic got attacked by a bird, what do you mean exactly? I hope she is ok now.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

She didn't literally get attacked, but it's the quickest way to summarize it :p . I still don't know how it happened exactly as I only saw her on the ground after it happened, but apparently there was a bird on her shoulder suddenly, and it freaked her out, which made her fall over, injuring her lip. She has been relatively ok the rest of the trip, except that she couldn't eat anything.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

Shame that the park doesn't have anything good because it looks quite idyllic. Didn't know there was another rapids ride with those weird boats.

Sounds like you had a good time, except Nic's bird injury which sounds nasty.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

[strike]-Bellewaerde[/strike]
-Plopsaland De Panne
-Bobbejaanland
-Walibi Belgium
-Tripsdrill

Part 3: Plopsaland de Panne

Now this is my first true CoasterForce theme park trip. I'd met a couple of (fab) CFers the previous day, but in Plopsaland we were with a group of 15 people! As amazing as it always is to visit a new park, my main focus and excitement of this trip was meeting people. As someone who is shy and doesn't usually feel comfortable in big groups, I was slightly nervous beforehand. My trip report will be a balance of the actual park and how I experienced my first CF live. I didn't take any photos so for this report I will use some of Sue's and Peep's photos with permission.

We met up at the big door in front of the entrance. After the initial greetings we immediately went in for the tour. I'm not going to go into detail too much, as previous reports have already done that. It was a very interesting and unique experience, but also a bit on the long side. Especially the people who hadn't visited before (including me) wanted to get into the park already. It would've been perfect if it was outside the opening times, but that wouldn't have worked out for many of us anyway. It was still cool.

10995303_10100235442041070_917349561158868701_n.jpg

When the tour ended we finally went into the park. It was afternoon by now. At first I found it hard to get into the group. There were so many people, where would I start? What would I talk about? :p This didn't last long though, and I quickly felt comfortable.

11164672_10155530579495360_5367909963956646250_o.jpg

10995402_10100235442061030_4070514713707132323_n.jpg

Our first stop was Anubis, a coaster I had been anticipating but never expected it to actually be proper top 10 material for me. Thankfully it was a near walk-on. Richard had told me that the ride is fantastic in the front seat but that all the other seats suck, so I queued for the front with jjnumbersandletters. We both loved it! What a surprisingly amazing ride it was! The launch has such a kick to it and is by far the best I've experienced so far. The way it goes straight up after the launch, over the top hat with amazing airtime, and straight down again was incredible. That entire first part is one of my favourite coaster parts. The inversion and top hat-ish element that follow are also tons of fun. My main complaint is that it dies down after the MCBR. Still a fantastic and smooth coaster, with one hell of a start. If the second half was as good as the first, it would be top 3 material for me. 9,5/10.

11173371_10100235449111900_1918476956673043659_n.jpg

After that we rode the nearby SuperSplash, which as the name suggests is a Mack SuperSplash with one drop. I'm not a big fan of these kind of rides. They really are just one drop and then it's over, and the drop itself is not that good anyway. This one had a fab lift though. It's basically a rotating elevator lift in the dark with lots of little lights. Then a drop and airtimeless hill follows. The way Richard screamed when all the water came towards us made me laugh. Getting back to the station afterwards took ages. Boring ride only saved by the unique lift. 5,5/10

10384230_10100235442085980_5312618806063469280_n.jpg

The next ride we came across was Rollerskater, also known as the washing machine cred. It's a Vekoma Junior coaster with some unique theming. It had quite a long queue, but with CFers to talk to, time flew by. Peep and I wanted to ride the back seat, but the front was the only seat that wasn't occupied yet, so we went for that. It was a nice little junior coaster, just a shame the bubble effects in the washing machine tunnel were not working. 5,5/10

11011007_10100235449176770_9059243567923343919_n.jpg

Time for another kiddie coaster. Another Zierer tivoli large model called Viktor's Race. Plopsa replaced their older version for the exact same ride last year. I rode in the second to last row with Sue, and what better way for goons to get to know each other than riding a kiddie cred together? :wink: It rode pretty much the same as Bellewaerde's version the previous day. +1.

11156295_10100235449321480_8499266611510813552_n.jpg

It was time for lunch next, as some of us didn't even have breakfast yet. Some went to one of the restaurants, but a couple of us just grabbed a quick bratwurst at the barbecue grill place.

We met up at the castle area to ride the powered cred next. It's called Draak, which means Dragon. I rode this one with Radaxian. To be honest, I don't really remember most of the ride, but it was quite boring. It had nice theming though and interacted with the nearby flume, which seems to be a popular thing to do in parks (Europa Park, Bobbejaanland, Plopsaland and possibly more all have a powered coaster and log flume that interact). Layout-wise, all I remember are a couple of pointless hills and some helices. 5/10

10360338_10100235449526070_2486411008083800143_n.jpg

The log flume called Boomstammetjes followed. For some reason only 3 adults per boat were allowed. I ended up riding with Peep. The flume itself is quite good. Nice castle theming and a decent first drop. What makes this flume standout is the double drop. It actually has decent airtime! Much more than the other double drop flumes I've ridden. It was moderately wet, which is the way water rides should be. 7/10

11027467_10100235449675770_3296527058527696094_n.jpg

The remaining creds were the batflyers called Vleermuis, which is Dutch for Bat. They had a long and slow moving queue and the ride itself was awful. It literally does nothing, feels uncomfortable, and brakes so stupidly hard that I hit my head against the top of the train. Rachel and I got around again to ride the other side. How much we torture ourselves just for a +1 <//3 One of the worst coasters I've ridden. 2/10

11149495_10155530582565360_1553473145222529440_n.jpg

Now that all the creds were ticked off, we did the second most important ride type in theme parks; the only dark ride Plopsa has ever built (yet). Het Bos van Plop was the name, and I had no idea what to expect. In the queue I tried to teach Radaxian how to pronounce "Vliegende Hollander". It's always so fun to hear Brits speak Dutch, particularly the "G" sound because there is nothing like that in the English language. Ironically enough it always sounds rather Belgian when Brits speak Dutch :p . As for the ride, it was a big surprise! It was so cute, lovely, detailed and had tons of animatronics. A really nice dark ride, and I would rate it as one of the best I've done outside of Efteling. We had plenty of time to look at the scenes as Richard tried to get our boat to stop by holding on to the sides, which ended up with us causing a traffic jam of at least five other boats. It was a good laugh. 7,5/10.

10866168_10155530583500360_7204996454510568514_o.jpg

Next we rode the fab Disk-O coaster, which had incredible theming. In fact, the entire park was very well themed. During the ride we were hoping the people on the nearby splash battle would shoot at us. Peep said it was actually possible. Such a cool feature. We ended our day with a re-ride on Anubis, which was even better than before. Rode in the front again with Mike. We then said goodbye and I got on the train to go home.

11159479_10100235449945230_7094156631352439274_n.jpg

It was such a great weekend! It was amazing to meet up with fellow goons. To most it was just another CF weekend, but to me it was a very special trip! Everybody was so lovely and made an effort to talk to me. I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't been to a CF trip yet to go as soon as possible. It really is a great experience. Admittedly I didn't get much of the full park experience in Plopsaland, because I was too busy talking to people and we went from ride to ride, but it's worth it <3 It was amazing to finally meet everybody.

11146176_10100235450244630_3485738145518424211_n.jpg

As for Plopsaland. I really liked the park. The ride selection is pretty crap with the exception of Anubis, the flume, het Bos van Plop and the Disk-O, but the park is lovely and well themed. I'd put it on the same level of quality as Toverland. A really good solid park. Can't wait for their new woodie!

Park score: 8/10

Thank you so much for reading!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Re: Germany & Belgium: Part 3 (Plopsaland De Panne: CF Editi

[strike]-Plopsaland De Panne[/strike]
-Bobbejaanland
-Walibi Belgium
-Tripsdrill

Part 4: Bobbejaanland

I had a free day so I felt like doing another nearby foreign park. I was either going to visit Bobbejaanland or Walibi Belgium, but because the latter was closed I had no choice. I'd heard bad things about the park but I always try to keep an open mind about new places.

11201148_479232278894278_4051140133429385061_o.jpg

First impressions were pretty good. It was nice and sunny, magical music playing at the entrance plaza and I could see some creds in the distance. The park's layout is very easy and convenient, but also a bit... predictable? It's like there was nothing to explore, and I knew the entire park as soon as I came in. It's a big circle with a lake in the middle. Not a magical mysterious hidden-ish lake surrounded by dense nature like in, for example, Efteling, but a big open lake which half of the rides were built on. I'll let the photos do the talking here.

11154860_479229582227881_4343921448992249323_o.jpg

This "beauty" was looming in the distance

11174413_479229868894519_5305445914108710459_o.jpg

11147187_479229902227849_7802715582460642236_o.jpg

11122545_479231592227680_741200571689457996_o.jpg

11164579_479229758894530_6216010559156384466_o.jpg

The last photo brings me to the first coaster of the day, Bob Express. After a walk-on queue I got on the back seat. It's a Mack powered coaster, but a decent one at that. It had a relatively forceful layout and the fact that it was built over water and interacted with the log flume made it fab. One of the better powered Macks I've done, but still nothing special. 6/10.

11053569_479229722227867_6963600036882168472_o.jpg

11157456_479229572227882_5256872103042690809_o.jpg

Moving on I came across the park's indoor log flume called Indiana River. Despite their effort of theming, the exterior still looks much like a big warehouse. Once you get inside this problem vanishes. What a fun little ride <3 It's immersive, well themed, wet but not too wet, and has three drops. I really liked the entire feel of the ride, and the theming. I just feel it has potential to be even better with a bigger budget. 7,5/10.

11035308_479229802227859_1628033031142691276_o.jpg

Oki Doki was next. It is supposed to be the park's kiddie coaster, but it was good fun and one of the more intense rides there (which says something about their ride collection). I rode in the back, and the first drop was really good. It actually has some forces! If it was a bit longer, it would compare to family coasters like Pegasus and Dragon Fly. That's how fun it is.

11077634_479229838894522_2679548351828073082_o.jpg

11109591_479230075561165_7200934681413198298_o.jpg

11148683_479230118894494_2286100463019635451_o.jpg

Then there was an area with nothingness. Felt a bit empty, but eventually I arrived at the next ride, a Vekoma suspended coaster. Dream Catcher was the name. The station didn't have any gates so the entire seat selection was a big mess. Everybody is running towards certain seats and it's very chaotic. The ride started out alright, but then there was a random painful storm with really big raindrops which distracted me. I re-rode later, and it's a fun ride but a bit bland and boring. It barely swings or drops.6/10.

11157480_479230155561157_2001381952162030227_o.jpg

Had to search for the wild mouse. It is hidden in the back of rather standard western area. I rode it for the cred. I despise wild mice when being alone, because it hurts and lacks the fun factor that you get when riding with friends. +1 anyway.

A ride that does deserve a proper description is a bit further down the road. A Maurer Söhne spinner called Dizz. Having only ridden Winjas (which is <3) I knew I would get disappointed, and I did. It's not bad in anyway way. It's sort of enjoyable for what it is, but why does it not spin? Even with unbalanced cars it didn't spin. So all it had were some (fun) drops. Best thing about it was the parts above the water because like I said, rides built on water are awesome. The theming of the ride sucks though, it looks tacky and out of place. 6/10.

11187237_479230212227818_6938096924520642475_o.jpg

11146675_479230338894472_5592607487841091_o.jpg

11146372_479230622227777_7600810738944564459_o.jpg

11182734_479230872227752_5237766661238356822_o.jpg

Looking for Revolution was annoying, as they don't show any directions to the entrance. In the end I had to go through the splash battle building to find it. I think it's officially the longest coaster train? The station is [ shaped and absolutely massive. I rode somewhere in the middle, which in the end is the best place to ride it. Definitely the weirdest coaster I've ever ridden. First you go up in one big spiral with awesome music and some projections and lights in the middle area. The entire atmosphere is so weird that I loved it. The actual coaster is one big helix that goes faster and faster. Towards the end it really picks up a lot of speed and with strobe lights and other effects it was a great experience. The re-rides weren't as special but still good fun. Best coaster in the park easily. I even managed to get a ride on the very front and the very back <3 7,5/10.

11187183_479230768894429_8219215020196054501_o.jpg

11140769_479232398894266_1499723981102343027_o.jpg

11169630_479232395560933_8079956049938348136_o.jpg

Anyone else who thinks this looks a bit like RCT3?

Last cred of the day was Typhoon. I had really liked every Gerstlauer I'd ridden to that point, but god, this ride is so awful. It's horrendous. Finally I understand the complaints of Eurofighters, somewhat at least. The drop was okay, but as soon as the car hits the valley the restraint crushed me. The loop was extremely shakey, the drops sucked and the heartline rolls crushed me even more. The entrance of the helix was the vilest part. It truly tried to kill me. Never has a coaster been so rough for me, not even close. What a pile of crap. It's disgustingly ugly as well. Looks so cheap and fair-ish. 2/10 for effort.

11054861_479230375561135_4564568979506597063_o.jpg

11174245_479230448894461_3032852549599787226_o.jpg

11174486_479231002227739_4377718004754150506_o.jpg

11164581_479231295561043_3938680464316364096_o.jpg

Close to Typhoon was a ride of a type I was looking forward to try out, a giant frisbee. The ride is called Sledgehammer. Sadly, because it was so quiet, they only ran the ride once every half hour (!). How lame is that?! So I actually had to wait a while to ride. Only ride nearby was Typhoon, which I didn't want to re-ride. When I finally got on, the ride lasted maybe 30 seconds. It was great while it lasted, but the program was extremely short. Lame lame lame. The afterburner I rode at Drievliet was better though; more airtime.

11083962_479232435560929_3848042819561653572_o.jpg

Having done all the creds and a lot of the major rides in 2 hours, I had 6 hours for re-rides and finishing up the rest of the park. A bit much, considering very few of the rides were very re-ridable. This is the reason why I took many photos on this trip. Usually I can't be bothered or don't have enough time.

First of the remaining rides was a shooting dark ride called El Paso. It uses benches as ride vehicles which was pretty hilarious. The ride was weird and a bit meh. I liked how you could activate animatronics by shooting at them, but the theming was of relatively low quality.

11187362_479231588894347_56381231358766248_o.jpg

11174255_479232332227606_1150483615822295820_o.jpg

I also rode the other log flume in the park, the one that interacts with Bob Express. It was okay, the only thing it had going for it was the aforementioned interaction. I walked along the path again re-riding anything I came cross. The next new ride was El Rio, the park's rapids. It was extremely uneventful until the whirlpool part, which is crazy! It especially stands out because the rest of the ride is so dull. The theming is nice though.

11155062_479232365560936_9084528301078037859_o.jpg

11092655_479231982227641_5640440347660402139_o.jpg

11174453_479232095560963_8774190290528442490_o.jpg

The new for 2015 simulator ride Forbidden Caves wasn't ready yet. I went on a tuesday, and it opened on friday. Spite! Ah well, I tried to get some construction photos but it was very well hidden, and most areas where you could get a photo from were forbidden to enter. This is all I got:

10903849_479230798894426_8238921527222945864_o.jpg

Nearby was the fab looking King Kong ride, so I rode that. As dull as it looks, but makes for a great spectator attraction. There was also a ferris wheel. Since I had plenty of time I went on that too. I finished the day with a ride on the chairswing.

11203609_479231885560984_3460626353004761522_o.jpg

11059579_479230772227762_5239171878606374086_o.jpg

This is your view for most of the ride.

11169627_479231835560989_4082960500405577891_o.jpg

11187335_479231512227688_8545040608373281816_o.jpg

I had pretty low expectations of Bobbejaanland, and while it didn't disappoint, it also didn't blow my expectations away. It was an alright park, good for children and has a bit of that quirkyness going on for it, but it lacks quality rides. Indiana River and Revolution are the best rides in the park, and aside from that there is very little. I doubt the new ride will change that, if it's anything like Movie Park's version. The general atmosphere is a bit standard. Nothing stands out about it. All in all it's quite a forgettable park, and I would only return if they'd get a new major ride (on top of the Forbidden Caves).

Park Score: 6/10

Thanks for reading!

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Re: Germany & Belgium: Part 4 (Bobbejaanland)

Good report as usual :)

I'm definitely in the minority of people who actually like this park. It's nothing amazing, in fact I enjoyed its simplistic, family-friendly feel and ride collection. I remember having read very little about before going and being surprised at what a lovely day I had at the park.

Also, Indiana River <3. I miss that ride so much!

ignace

Mega Poster

Bobbejaanland was my home park for quite some years. When I grew up, it transformed drastically. Most of the great rides went out (Looping Star, Troika, Breakdance, Bobby Drop, Rainbow, Santa Maria) and what was left and newly built either sucked or was quite lame. I haven't visited this year (except for the opening of the new ride, which was okay), and I'm not planning to, although for me it's the closest park apart from the fab Mega Speelstad.

Thanks for you report. It's only natural for people to see a park differently. It's your first time and I've been there countless times, sometimes just to read a book on the monorail.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Interesting reads. The first three parks look cute. :fadein:
Not here for this though
70d50145-2057-4f7f-96d1-0ee16ab989ad_zpsabv95zvn.jpg

Although it's not affiliated with them anymore, the three Warner parks are very under the radar imo. I never hear a lot about them from enthusiasts. Germany does look the worst of the three however.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

[strike]-Bobbejaanland[/strike]
-Walibi Belgium
-Tripsdrill
-Rheinkirmes

Part 5: Walibi Belgium

Yet another day trip to Belgium happened a couple of weeks ago. I had to wake up at an awful time and after another long train ride I arrived at the park slightly after opening. Some rap-ish music played and the entrance area was full of annoying French school kids. Not exactly my kind of welcome to a park <//3 The entire entranc plaza didn't feel very Walibi to me, at least not like the one in the Netherlands. Very tacky. I would've preferred more actual Walibi music playing, because WAB is fab.

11045495_492276744256498_9066551936993225821_o.jpg

First ride of the day was Vampire, also known as the smooth SLC. It ended up being one of the longest waits of the day because of all the school kids going there first, but it still wasn't longer than 20 minutes (Yay for 2 train operations). I like how the station was inside a castle-ish building. The ride itself was pretty decent. It's not glass smooth, it still has some places where it bounces along the track. I rode in the front, but I can imagine that later on the day nearer to the back it could be a bit rougher. But all in all it's easily the best SLC from the three that I've ridden. 6/10.

11222676_492277234256449_1732717327361219659_o.jpg

Loup Garou was nearby but had a 35 minute queue, so I went the other way around and got on Cobra instead. Cobra is just a standard Boomerang with no real redeeming factors but wasn't very rough either. The ride operator was very pretty though and she waved at me as we went up <3 Aside from that it was just +1. It feels very isolated from the rest of the park for some reason. It was completely deserted as well, and I don't remember ever walking past it again. 5/10

11357246_492277474256425_4433345847629276669_o.jpg

I walked past Radja River which looks really fun, but I rarely ride rapids alone. It takes away all the fun. If I'm ever at the park with a group I'd love to try it though. Like the majority of Belgian parks this also had a lake in the middle with rides built all around it. It was a bit less revealing than Bobbejaanland though, which made the park feel bigger.

11269510_492277514256421_6948910550350639372_o.jpg

All that is left of the failed Fata Morgana rip-off

10648833_492277634256409_2013451555931068120_o.jpg

I had to get through the kiddie area next. Always a bit awkward when alone at a park, especially when you find out it has a dead end and you need to go back. The area felt very depressing though, probably because there was nobody there and the ride ops just sat there in silence letting the rides go round and round. It might be much more cheery when it's a bit more lively, as the rides were cutesy.

11312657_492277654256407_9161694207241141045_o.jpg

I wanted to get the creds done first, so Psyké Underground was up next. The queue started with some cool theming with effects everytime a train gets launched, but the further you get, the less theming there is. The station looks brilliant though. I got assigned to row #2. I love how the operator managed to get the whole train clapping their hands just before the launch countdown. The launch was fun but weak and the loop very forceful and disorienting. Then you do the same backwards which is even more disorienting. Some strobe lights and other sound and light effects, and then it's over. It's a fun ride, but so short that I can't really consider it a great ride. It pretty much has one true element (the loop) that stands out, and that is over before it starts. Still a fun and re-ridable coaster, but no real highlight for me. 6,5/10.

11313139_492277714256401_423933334834079823_o.jpg

Moving on, the next cred in the park is Coccinelle, a Zierer Tivoli Small. Apparently the ride operators don't appreciate us adults getting on the ride; she complained I was too tall. I had to explain the concepts of creds to her in my broken French, and after that she let me on. Not sure if she actually understood me or that she just thought "whatever", but it doesn't matter because cred! Got the back seat for this because it's fab.

10995806_492277970923042_602082584430981701_o.jpg

Moving further across the lake, I got into the Western area. It was quite nicely themed, especially the area around the mine train, but I'll get back to that later. First I wanted to get the drop tower called Dalton Terror done. I still pee my pants just looking at drop towers, but my strategy is to not watch the ride do its thing at any point, get in the queue, get yourself in one of the seats so that there is no way back and voìla. Going up was as terrifying as usual and dropping as anti-climatic as usual. The drop was good though. Not too forceful to be vile like those gross Fabbri towers, but not so weak to make it pointless. Got some good airtime and it was just an overall enjoyable ride. Tallest drop tower I've ridden too (77 meters). 6,5/10.

11144787_492278284256344_1522689518372450925_o.jpg

Right next to the drop tower is the Vekoma mine train Calamity Mine. Being a massive fan of the pure fabness that is Colorado Adventure in Phantasialand, I was very excited to ride this. It wasn't nearly as good though, which was to be expected. The seats felt very uncomfortable because of the lack of any sort of padding. The first half was well themed but a bit slow, aside from a couple of good drops, and the second half was faster but lacked theming. Still a fun ride though. 6/10.

11357119_492278194256353_6263215657178486036_o.jpg

11334276_492278240923015_7196339090563211568_o.jpg

Interaction!

There was only one cred left, Loup Garou. The queue had died down now, only 10 minutes remaining. I went for a front row ride. I'm not a big fan of the Dutch version of a Vekoma woodie (Robin Hood), so my expectations were quite low. Which is a good thing because I really liked the ride. It has a decent first drop and some really good airtime hills with actual airtime! It's just the turns that let the ride down. They're bumpy, slow and pointless. The hills were fun enough to make this my favourite coaster in the park and my second fave in Belgium. It wasn't painful or too rough either. And best of all, it was actually a custom thrill coaster at the park, which isn't very common. 7,5/10.

11119421_492278247589681_4169209674932645541_o.jpg

10383798_492277827589723_5745010860841634164_o.jpg

So fab.

Having done all the creds I got a quick burger at the nearby burger place. It was pretty gross but it got the job done. I realised I missed one of my most anticipated rides in the park, the Egyptian shooter called Challenge of Tutankhamon, so I went back there. It was pretty out of the way, but it still had the longest wait of the day. The queue board said 5 minutes, but because of the slow moving queue it was closer to 30-45 mins. So worth it though <3 What a brilliant and wonderful ride! I'm a huge fan of Egyptian theming so it pushed ALL of my buttons. I got attacked my snakes, birds, skeletons, scorpions and so much more. You could actually feel the enemies getting closer which genuinely made me feel like I was in a game. Such incredible and detailed theming and effects. Just a shame the fire didn't work. I got the good ending and got off the ride with a huge smile. Pure joy and one of the best shooters, or dark rides in general that I've done. 8,5/10.

11334000_492277907589715_9054560111206975749_o.jpg

Some areas were really nice

11337023_492277934256379_6271823473084692309_o.jpg

11241439_492278300923009_7040220130025788935_o.jpg

Having done pretty much everything I wanted, I went back past the Psyké area to get a re-ride and then get on the log flume. It was called Flashback and was the same as Walibi Holland's flume. It had some cool theming at the start, but the rest was just standard log flume stuff. Pretty fun.

11011812_492278024256370_2738319289758918585_o.jpg

Also nearby was the park's madhouse. One thing I noticed is that the park is such a mess of French and Dutch. Some ride ops speak one language, others speak both. Ride names are in both. Reason being the park's location near the border of the two halves in Belgium. The madhouse was nothing special. I've done five of these now, and Villa Volta is still the best because of the story and music.

I spent the rest of the day re-riding Loup Garou, Psyké, Dalton Terror and Challenge of Tutankhamon. Loup Garou got more and more fun, but it's clearly a front row ride. In the back it was too rough to get proper airtime. About CoT, I tried to not shoot once to enjoy the actual ride a bit more, but I still got the good ending. No idea what happened there. When the park closed, I got the train home and was 6 creds richer.

11336854_492278027589703_2957554154709294261_o.jpg

Walibi Belgium is a really fun park. It is a bit tacky at places, but other places are nice. It also has some standout rides with Loup Garou, Challenge of Tutankhamon and to a lesser extend Psyké and Dalton Terror. As a park I'd rate it the same as Bobbejaanland. Nothing special, very little atmosphere but still fun for a day. Ride-wise, this park is superior. Walibi Belgium left me more satisfied after my visit. Comparing the Walibi parks, I prefer Walibi Holland. I like the setting and atmosphere better, and it has a better coaster selection (Goliath!).

Park Score: 6,5/10

When it comes to the Belgian parks I've now visited, this would be my ranking from favourite to least favourite:

Plopsaland de Panne
Bellewaerde
Plopsa Coo
Walibi Belgium
Bobbejaanland
Plopsa Indoor Hasselt

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it! Next time I will make a trip to Germany for the beauty and awesomeness that is Tripsdrill.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Re: Germany & Belgium: Part 5 (Walibi Belgium)

[strike]-Bobbejaanland[/strike]
[strike]-Walibi Belgium[/strike]
-Tripsdrill
-Rheinkirmes

My mom and I did a trip to Holiday Park together last time, and we enjoyed it so much that we decided to do something similar this year. This time we made our trip a little longer and also added Klotten on the way to Tripsdrill, and a short revisit to Holiday Park on the way home, because of their new ride and the fact that I have a big discount for the park thanks to my Efteling pass.

Part 6.1: Wild- Und Freizeitpark Klotten

After a long drive we arrived at the park in the afternoon. It had quite a picturesque location in the mountains, overlooking the valley of the Mosel river and the little village Cochem. My mom waited outside while I got in to get the creds and a re-ride or two on the park's Gerstlauer Bobsled.

11059408_509775095839996_4171785510074151997_o.jpg

11145062_508576342626538_4243347220090322073_n.jpg

Despite the nice location, I didn't find the park to be anything special. It had a bunch of playground rides, a Nautic Jet which I didn't ride and some water slides. At the very back of the park, there were two creds waiting.

11717409_509775065839999_8137005061064719955_o.jpg

11695771_508576305959875_794615422945560285_n.jpg

So first up, the aforementioned Gerstlauer Bobsled, Heiße Fahrt. I heard some great things about it, and I enjoy Gerst Bobsleds a lot, so I was very excited for this one. The queue wasn't that long, but still annoying due to queue jumping and noisy school kids. After about 20 minutes I got on.

11700880_509774749173364_1464089215854838940_o.jpg

I thought the first drop was very solid, bur then the wild mouse turns were slow and did very little. After the MCBR a good forceful helix was next, followed by my favourite part of the ride; two fast twisty s-hills with some surprising airtime. Then it was time for the four bunny hops, which to me was the most boring bit of the ride. I have no clue why everybody always hypes up that part, because it literally had no airtime whatsoever. My butt stayed in my seat all the time, so it just got repetitive. Then another helix into the final brakes.

11717470_509774975840008_7286120301385377931_o.jpg

11741076_509774995840006_981815061278942243_o.jpg

11728980_509774992506673_7358480553094161802_o.jpg

It was a fun ride, but did leave me a bit disappointed. While the location of the ride was cool and provided some great views, the entire thing felt completely atmosphere-less, and while the layout is good, I thought only the twisty bit stood out among other Bobsleds, while the rest was basically the same. It is still a great ride for a small park, and I re-rode it twice because I really liked it. 7/10. I will compare the Gerst Bobsleds I've ridden after G'Sengte Sau in Tripsdrill.

The other cred was a ABC Rides Water coaster called Zum Rittersturz. It started off with a small but adorable dark ride section, and then went up the rotating elevator lift. Then you drop into a little dip, over the little (trimmed) hill, and then down the drop into the water. I got pretty wet, but not completely soaked. The drop itself was pretty big, fast and steep for a water coaster. Then the way back to the station was very bland. Overall it was enjoyable for once, but nothing special. 5/10

11717534_509774885840017_1530382894086215703_o.jpg

11411736_509774905840015_5159446095050921186_o.jpg

Then I decided I have seen all there is to see, so I left the park and we decided to have dinner in the nearby Cochem. So glad we did, because the village was super lovely and it was a pleasure to just walk around there. I'm a big fan of these little old places which are full of atmosphere. What surprised us though, was that most of the restaurants closed at 6. We did manage to find a place to get a quick Currywurst. After that we made our way to the hotel near Tripsdrill.

11226031_509775162506656_7232454348036059965_o.jpg

11412063_509775222506650_495215025134057683_o.jpg

11416308_509775455839960_5058971476572401059_o.jpg

11227549_509509385866567_6327412676584952000_o.jpg

We arrived at the hotel around 11, which obviously was way too late. There was no light in the hotel, and the doors were locked. Eventually, after a lot of faff, phone calls, and help from a fab guest in the Gasthaus, we managed to get the key anyway and get in. So lucky, because otherwise we probably would've had to sleep in the car. Then we went to bed, ready to wake up early for Tripsdrill the next day.

Thanks for reading this short report. Soon I will continue with Tripsdrill!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Germany & Belgium: Part 6 (Klotten)

That's one major downside I always find in Europe: everything closes so early! You literally have to find somewhere before 6pm or you have no chance. I know I'm spoiled living in London but cmon!