GCI?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snoo

The Legend
Seeing the recent discussion in the Top 10 thread, I wanted to see how the masses felt about GCI and their creations.

I've been on 8 personally. They range from amazing (Evel Kinevel) to horrible I want to kill myself awful (Gwazi).

What cha think?

Ben

CF Legend
I've been on -

Terminator
Troy
Lightning Racer
Wildcat
Roar (SDFK)
Roar (SFA)
Gwazi

And that's how I'd rank them, from amazing, awesome, totally kick-ass, to sucky loads of crap. I will say their sucky rides tend to only be the older ones, but, everything they're producing now seems to be kicking ass.

Snoo

The Legend
Also, you can tell their older creations tend to be less about giving you a some airtime then throwing turn after turn after turn at you.

I think that might be why the newer rides succeed so much is because they do give you those delicious pops of air. Evel Kinevel honestly didn't stop throughout the layout.. and I was getting airtime all over the place.

Jake

Strata Poster
I've done:

Terminator
Lightning Racer
Wildcat
Roar (SDFK)
Roar (SFA)
Gwazi

Same order as Ben, but without troy...

Next year i'll be doing:

Renegade
Prowler
Evel Kinevel
Kentucky Rumbler
Thunderhead

It seems like the ones they built before 2000 (Gwazi, the Roars, Wildcat) are average/poor, but the ones built after 2000 (the rest) seem awsome, or at least better than average.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I've done:

Thunderhead
Kentucky Rumbler
Lightning Racer
Wildcat
Roar (SFA)
Gwazi

I really have no major problems with any of them. I've never found Gwazi to be overly rough. It's not fantastic, but it's still kind of fun. Thunderhead is my #3 overall and one of the best coasters at night I've ever done. I can't see how anybody could vote bad for most of them-- I'll say good for all of them.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
SCREW YOU, GCI!!!
DSC02802.jpg

Nah, I guess they're all right. I've yet to ride a coaster they built from scratch, and they say their other famous conversion is mind-blowingly awesome with a touch of epic, so they should know what they're doing.
If I had to vote now, I'd say "Good", but I won't until I've ridden a "true" GCI or two.

It's hard for me to say, because I have only been on Evel Knievel and Kentucky Rumbler, one of which I rode like, fifteen times, the other of which was a walk on as well but I was sick of after five times. So.. I mean Rumbler wasn't bad, just disappointing, whereas Evel was awesome and very nearly a top ten coaster.

I think as a whole the more recent ones are very good. Ones like Gwazi and stuff don't look too promising, though.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hmm, tbh, I never really pay that much attention to the manufacturer when riding a coaster. Ok, I'm usually aware who the made the coaster that I'm riding, but I rate on the coaster itself. No manufacturer will ever make exceptional coasters all the time, so I don't like to associate manufacturers with a particular quality.

Out of the GCI's I've been on (I had to RCDB it), I've ridden Gwazi, Kentucky Rumbler, Renegade and Thunderhead.

In this particular incidence, from riding only 25% of their coasters, I can safely say that I really like their coasters. Not been on a duff one yet! Yes, I even loved Gwazi.

Come to think of it, when I went to the parks where they reside, it was pretty quiet and they were the coasters I wanted to ride again and again. And I did.

Mike

Giga Poster
I've done exactly the same as Jake I think, and Terminator and Lighning Racer both appear in my top 5.
The only 2 that I really don't like are the Roars.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I've only been on Gwazi and it is pretty rough, but still fun. The pacing doesn't let up till the brake run, something I like personally. I would say it's only re-ridable in the front row if it's two rides in a row, if it's any other row, you get banged up quite a bit (from experience).

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
I love GCI woodies, Thunderhead is still my favorite coaster, and Lightning Racers is up there in my top 10. BUT Gwazi made me want to stab myself.

How I rank GCI Woodies
BEST- Comparable to Thunderhead, Lightning Racers, Renegade ect.
Middle- WildCat, Kentucky Rumbler, Roar, ect
Worst- Gwazi, well, just Gwazi most GCIs are incredible

marc

CF Legend
I loved Gwazi, even though so many people hate it.

Thats the only one I have done tbh.

By looking at the rest, I dont think they have made an outstanding coaster yet. More like high end family thrill coasters if you know what I mean.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just the two at Hershey for me - Wildcat and Lightning Racer.

You could see in Wildcat the direction they were going in. Trying to recreate the fantastic curves of the "lost classics" such as the Crystal Beech Cyclone, and the Fred Church Bobs coasters. Sadly, it evaded them in the case of Wildcat. I didn't think it was dreadful but was just a bit too rough and didn't quite make it on the airtime front. It was close to being good, just flawed.

Lightning Racer was brilliant though. I think they either had the right team and techniques, or with it being a racer, they concentrated on things differently.

As Marc says, it's a family thrill coaster. However, I think that's more derisive a title than it deserves. Lightning Racer was possibly the most ultimately re-ridable coaster I have ever been on - EVER. Every run was just solid fun. The airtime was small, but the pacing was just spot on. It was just a brilliant coaster to ride. No single part of it was brilliant in itself, but the overall effect was.

Sometimes things can just be great without actually ticking any of the "right boxes". The later GCI coasters seem to have got it right, with the twists, speed and airtime. Troy is an almost exact copy of a Fred Church Bobs ride - generally renowned as some of the best coasters ever made. With the modern technology and experience these guys have, it's no wonder it scores highly for most people.

So with my limited GCI experience, I say they are indeed good, particularly their latter work.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Good. I'm really impressed with GCI's, even though I've only been on California's (Terminator and Roar). Both have great pacing, they're fun, smooth, and even better at night. Plus, these rides are perfect for parks! They aren't too expensive, they don't take up too much space, and they can be family friendly and an enthusiast favorite at the same time.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
I've been on 4 and besides Gwazi I've been blown away by all of them. The trains and the fast pacing for the entire ride is great and an overall fun ride experience I'd say. I'd rank the ones I've ridden...

Renegade
Terminator Salvation
Lightning Racer
Gwazi

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I've done troy and gwazi - and loved em both - gwazi was quite choppy, but great fun - can;'t see why it gets such stick.
troy is great - a relentless twisty monster with some nice pops of air.

ian says:
" More like high end family thrill coasters if you know what I mean."

I agree - and have absolutely no problem with that - family doesn't need to be dull.

RCF

Strata Poster
I've only been on Gwazi. My first ride was horrible and insanely rough, but the rides after weren't so bad. It's alright but definitely not a top 10, 20, or 25. Therefore, right now GCI: Decent.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
I have ridden:
Lightning Racer
Thunderhead
Wildcat (Hershey)
Kentucky Rumbler
Roar (SFA)
Gwazi

All but the last one were better than the normal woodens. Millennium Flyers are the best trains for woodens. This company makes the best coasters for this type of ride. I hope to ride 3 or 4 more of them within the next two years.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I like GCIs a lot. They don't have massive out of seat moments but they're all good fun, and I love the direction changes and the fast pacing.

I've done Troy, Thunderbird, Gwazi, Kentucky Rumbler, Renegade, Thunderhead and El Toro. They've all been pretty fast and relentless with a few pops of airtime here and there.