What's new

"Full Throttle" Magic Mountain 2013 Coaster Rumor

reddude333

Giga Poster
This article claims that Six Flags Magic Mountain plans to add a "terrain-hugging launched roller coaster in 2013." Seems some "mechanic" breached his nondisclosure agreement or something ;-) Who knows but it certainly is interesting information (as it comes with the news of Cedar Point dropping Wildcat.

Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/07/news/la-trb-six-flags-magic-mountain-full-throttle-03201207

The 145ft loop is intriguing...but doesn't seem to support "terrain-hugging". Hmm, food for thought.

Any thoughts? My instinct says Intamin when I hear launched although it could be Mack or one of many other options. My bet is Intamin (if this rumor even holds true).

Lofty

CF Legend
Read it carefully. A park engineer "leaked" the information to members of TPR at WCB. Yes, this has 100% certified factuality written all over it.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The name has been trademarked by Six Flags and the area is pretty much confirmed as well as multi launch. Yes it is TPR, but the news also got to the LA Times (that article) and they spilled the beans early. Just like they did with Superman revamp, Green Lantern, and Roadrunner express. Another rumor stated that it was going to have a backwards launch at some point too, which makes me think it may be a Zierer since it is multi launch. I'm personally excited for them to get something new.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I was also considering Zierer, but I'm hoping for something more substantial like an Intamin LSM multilaunch.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: "Full Throttle" Magic Mountain 2013 Coaster Rumor

Eurgh....this again?

People, the LA Times was using TPR as his source. The TPR peeps that were there OVERHEARD a mechanic talking about it openly with a basic park employee. The editor who even posted the damn article got FLAMED over the only source being TPR and nobody else.

Honestly people....facepalm.jpg

Do I need to remind you about the Wild Eagle rumors that came from overhearing an engineer talking?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
If this is true, it will be the world's tallest loop! And it will put SFMM in front for most coasters again.

Idlewild

Mega Poster

Just screamscape.

The rumour is that they are building a thrill coaster and a separate family coaster next year.

Someone mentioned on the wildcat topic that CP has a budget of $25 million for 2013.

Of course this is all a rumour so take it with a grain of salt.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Re:

Idlewild said:
Just screamscape.

The rumour is that they are building a thrill coaster and a separate family coaster next year.

Someone mentioned on the wildcat topic that CP has a budget of $25 million for 2013.

Of course this is all a rumour so take it with a mountain of salt.

Fixed it for you ;)

marc

CF Legend

This is what makes me laugh. They are building a thrill coaster for 2013, well seeing they tend to build new coasters every other year it does not take a brain surgeon to know one is due.

In the 6 years I have been on cf sfmm have built over 4 coasters and carried out a massive re theme of X and Superman.

So yeah having a guess that they will get another coaster for 2013 is a no brainer really.

As for CP they are due one as well, it's been years since they got a new coaster.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I'll agree that it is no surprise that SFMM would make an addition considering it's been a couple years, but it's not like we don't have any other information about it. If you think it's all just b.s. then you may have a point, but the article does actually point out specific features of the rumored coaster (and gives it a name) so it's not just some overly-vague rumor.

Kata1

Roller Poster
I think the coaster at Magic Mountain will happen. But I am hoping that Cedar Point does build two coasters next year.

A101

Mega Poster
If anything, a mulit-inversion launch coaster is exactly what Magic Mountain needs, but I just really wish Cedar Point would build 2 new coasters next year. I think it's possible, especially with the removal of Wildcat. If both SFMM and CP put in new coasters next year, 2013 will be THE year for new coasters.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
A101 said:
If anything, a mulit-inversion launch coaster is exactly what Magic Mountain needs

I'd rather see them install an airtime machine of one type or another, by all accounts Colossus is rough and Apocalypse doesn't look that great either. I don't think the park is short of inversions regardless of whether it's preceded with a launch.