What's new

First Rides: Best, Worst, and...Interesting

Niles

Giga Poster
BEST: ghost rider, went to knotts with the family instead of an outher Disney day, wanted to do something different. We had no line and got to re-ride 10ish times during the day. completely took me and everyone else by surprise we had never been on any coaster so fun, also amazing park.

This was what made me become interested in theme parks, I wanted to find more great parks and coasters after this, and I wondered if any others liked this as much as I did. And I found you lot ;)

WORST:wolverine wildcat, my fault really, had allready been on quite a few coasters the past week and my back started to ake. This ride was rough and caused something to pull,I hobbled around for the next few days.

INTERESTING:THE ULTIMATE
hehehehe, what is this thing it’s rough when nothing happens, super long and there a tractor to pull it if it stops, this was my 250 cred and I’m so so happy it was. We just keeped going round laughing.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
Best Fury 325. Easter Sunday 2017. Driving towards Carowinds and seeing their skyline of Intimidator and Fury testing was an amazing start. Better still Fury was a walk on so no wait for front row. Sat down and left the clam shell so that I would not get stapled in. Wow what can I say.......... first drop amazed me then arguably one of the fastest out of my seat first drop then high speed hills and low turns. Other than the first drop the main highlight was the sideways airtime before you re enter the tunnel before you return back into North Carolina. Loved it, let’s do it again, again and again.

Worst Saw the Ride opening season, really hyped as I saw the surprise drop during construction the year before and it being my first Euro Fighter. Well everything was great, that surprise drop was class as it is in pitch black. Then it all went down hill after the first drop (no pun intended). That bump at the bottom of the drop started my raging migraine then by the end of the ride I wanted to rip my head off. I really wanted to like this ride but I can’t afford the amount of headache tablets to ride it more than once a visit.

Interesting Thirteen opening season, me and my wife knew about the drop track, sister and brother in law didn’t. Not the best ride in the world........but my god their reaction was hilarious when we got off.

Great drop section, shame the first part through the woods wasn’t better. But I still giggle to myself about the outlaws reaction.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Best: Hmmmm torn between El Toro and Skyrush, we didnt expect either to be as crazy as they were, but I guess I do expect Intamin hypers to be epic so I'll say El Toro.
Was Senior year of HS, near graduation, couple of friends and I called out and went to Great Adv, El Toro was brand new and no one in class rode it yet (or at least didnt talk about it) so we didnt know and didnt expect much but wow our minds were blown. We got off honestly not sure what happened, was so fast, intense and at that time never had airtime like that.

Worst: Wow been many lol but I assume the intent is not go with obvious crap. I'll say Fahrenheit. Looked so cool as we drove in and I expected some forceful looper, then it was such a lackluster letdown. Friend said "I think I drove faster in the parking lot!" and we basically never rode it again, ever ha

Interesting: I couldn't think of any so Im gunna steal Kw6sTheater's because I too was at that event last year (I didnt do the gobbler event or wait in the station, just chilled outside which made employees super nervous ha) Thanks for cheering btw, that was my cue to run to the station!
I will say, night ride on Voyage, no trims, back row. WOW. And to boot we did see lightning flashes going off not too far away while riding. That was indeed an unforgettable experience. Marathoned that ride till night's end. I paid for it, my back was sore the next day but worth it. Not sure any other coaster experience can duplicate the madness of that experience. The savagery of that ride, but in darkness rushing through trees and the 2nd half unrestrained. Amazing. The whole night and storm drama did add to it as well

GeaugaLakeisAlive

Roller Poster
When you first got on that coaster that was either just built at your home park or you traveled across the globe to ride, notable first rides are something that tend to stick with me. Maybe the conditions were just right to get me the best ride it could possibly dish out on my first go, maybe all your excitement was anticlimactic because something unspeakably horrible happened to ruin your first go, maybe you didn't even remember the ride because something so hilarious happened that you were focused on the new story you had to tell. Which first ride was your best ever? Which was your worst ever? Which was the most...interesting?

Best: Fury 325. Connor and I had been in the car all day driving from Ohio to Charlotte, the drive was annoying to the both of us with how hyped we were to get on the thing, and we were making awful time. By the time we rolled in, the sun was starting to go down and turned the sky that beautiful orangey-peachy color you get when it goes down just right. So we walk in, this big B&M is absolutely shredding the plaza as we walk in, noise is deafening, after all that drive the stage was set to finally ride this thing. Our first ride was a colorful sunset ride after all the lighting effects had turned on and MAN was it gorgeous! Riding that awesome ride for the first time in that perfect lighting, getting to the top of the lift as it slowed down and seeing the Charlotte skyline behind the setting sun, and all the cool green lights adding to those surprisingly powerful ejector hills at the end. The whole thing was so memorable, easily my single greatest first ride on anything.

kPT3Q7H.jpg

Worst: Boulder Smash. I rode this in 2016, a year it was supposedly not doing too well, and I believe it. But to make it worse, my group decided to go for the very back and sit right on the wheel seat. I had heard so many great things about this coaster but based on that ride alone, it was about to go in my bottom ten. We fortunately decided to grit it out and deal with Parques Reunidos ops once more to ride up front. Haven't ridden it since, hopefully the help it got from M&V did wonders because it needed them.

Interesting... I have two.

Twisted Cyclone- I rode this on Media Day so I elected to style my hair before going to the park, knowing I would likely be on TV. My first ride on this RMC beauty was live televised on Knoxville's local news, something I've never done before. Turns out they get the train checked and cleared but hold it for several minutes while waiting for their TV spot, so you're sitting there strapped in for a good six minutes before they start speaking into the camera and then dispatch the train. Got a sunrise rain ride in the back with another RMC Connoisseurs member so that was nice, but remember the rain? Yeah it washed the product right out of my hair and into my eyes, so my eyes have chemicals in them while it's twisting and turning around all these tight elements, turning my hair into a gloppy mess. This day was incredible, unforgettable, the coaster is amazing, but what it did to my hair will never be forgotten!

mWwFfce.jpg

Boardwalk Bullet- The novelty of this experience started with the awful operations, two guys on the whole coaster running one train with no sense of urgency while the station is pretty full. So Ben and I take the back, it's a nice sunset on the Gulf of Mexico...and then in walks these two teenage boys. Both had obviously been using drugs before getting there, both were being as obnoxious as humanly possible, and both sit down right in front of us. Spent the whole time yelling vulgar language and insults at other guests to the point that it actually kind of distractedus from the relentless pacing as the balls to the wall Gravity Group we were on wound endlessly around itself. After the ride one of them tried to pick a fight with Ben to which he shut them down, walking away we saw them antagonize this man and woman on the exit ramp leading him to turn around and say something very vulgar about one of their mothers, sending them packing. I told him we should speak to security about what had just happened, we went to the photo booth thinking they could call security for us to let them know these troublemakers were in the park, but Kemah was being Kemah and he simply didn't care.

Post yours!
When you first got on that coaster that was either just built at your home park or you traveled across the globe to ride, notable first rides are something that tend to stick with me. Maybe the conditions were just right to get me the best ride it could possibly dish out on my first go, maybe all your excitement was anticlimactic because something unspeakably horrible happened to ruin your first go, maybe you didn't even remember the ride because something so hilarious happened that you were focused on the new story you had to tell. Which first ride was your best ever? Which was your worst ever? Which was the most...interesting?

Best: Fury 325. Connor and I had been in the car all day driving from Ohio to Charlotte, the drive was annoying to the both of us with how hyped we were to get on the thing, and we were making awful time. By the time we rolled in, the sun was starting to go down and turned the sky that beautiful orangey-peachy color you get when it goes down just right. So we walk in, this big B&M is absolutely shredding the plaza as we walk in, noise is deafening, after all that drive the stage was set to finally ride this thing. Our first ride was a colorful sunset ride after all the lighting effects had turned on and MAN was it gorgeous! Riding that awesome ride for the first time in that perfect lighting, getting to the top of the lift as it slowed down and seeing the Charlotte skyline behind the setting sun, and all the cool green lights adding to those surprisingly powerful ejector hills at the end. The whole thing was so memorable, easily my single greatest first ride on anything.

kPT3Q7H.jpg

Worst: Boulder Smash. I rode this in 2016, a year it was supposedly not doing too well, and I believe it. But to make it worse, my group decided to go for the very back and sit right on the wheel seat. I had heard so many great things about this coaster but based on that ride alone, it was about to go in my bottom ten. We fortunately decided to grit it out and deal with Parques Reunidos ops once more to ride up front. Haven't ridden it since, hopefully the help it got from M&V did wonders because it needed them.

Twisted Cyclone- I rode this on Media Day so I elected to style my hair before going to the park, knowing I would likely be on TV. My first ride on this RMC beauty was live televised on Knoxville's local news, something I've never done before. Turns out they get the train checked and cleared but hold it for several minutes while waiting for their TV spot, so you're sitting there strapped in for a good six minutes before they start speaking into the camera and then dispatch the train. Got a sunrise rain ride in the back with another RMC Connoisseurs member so that was nice, but remember the rain? Yeah it washed the product right out of my hair and into my eyes, so my eyes have chemicals in them while it's twisting and turning around all these tight elements, turning my hair into a gloppy mess. This day was incredible, unforgettable, the coaster is amazing, but what it did to my hair will never be forgotten!

mWwFfce.jpg

Boardwalk Bullet- The novelty of this experience started with the awful operations, two guys on the whole coaster running one train with no sense of urgency while the station is pretty full. So Ben and I take the back, it's a nice sunset on the Gulf of Mexico...and then in walks these two teenage boys. Both had obviously been using drugs before getting there, both were being as obnoxious as humanly possible, and both sit down right in front of us. Spent the whole time yelling vulgar language and insults at other guests to the point that it actually kind of distractedus from the relentless pacing as the balls to the wall Gravity Group we were on wound endlessly around itself. After the ride one of them tried to pick a fight with Ben to which he shut them down, walking away we saw them antagonize this man and woman on the exit ramp leading him to turn around and say something very vulgar about one of their mothers, sending them packing. I told him we should speak to security about what had just happened, we went to the photo booth thinking they could call security for us to let them know these troublemakers were in the park, but Kemah was being Kemah and he simply didn't care.

Post yours!

kPT3Q7H.jpg

mWwFfce.jpg

Post yours!
Best: Steel Vengeance
Worst: Wild Mouse: Hersheypark - I don't know why but I rode this when i was young and for some reason hated it. I thought it was boring and painful
Interesting: The Phantom's Revenge - I was horrified of this coaster the entire time I rode it for the first time because of the loose lap bar restraints. I was young at the time and still GP so I thought I was going to die.