What's new

First Cable Lift?

bergochdalbana

Mega Poster
Hyde244 said:
The first magnetic brake system was installed on Intamin's Millennium Force in 2000 (Also the first-ever stadium seating train and cable lift).
Sorry but these statements are all false.
I'm pretty sure that Ride Of Steel which opened the year before MF and use the same kind of trains, have magnetic brakes and stadium seating, pictures of the trains certainly point in that direction.
The first coaster with magnetic brakes may be hard to find, but Lethal Weapon Pursuit (aka. Cop Car Chase) at Movie Park Germany used them and it opened in 1996.

And for the cable lift bit then Giant Coaster at Fuji-Q (1966-1996) used a cable lift, if you don't believe that. Just look at this video from about 0:30:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL8Apql4NHA[/youtube]

Re: Magnetic Brakes

^That's a cable pulling a piece of chain. The weirdest f&cking thing I've ever seen. Millennium Force is widely recognized as the first coaster to utilize a cable lift. I don't know why you would try to disprove that.

Why I want to disprove it, because it's wrong of course.

The Intamin system works the exact same way, just that the piece "chain" on the Intamin version uses longer links and hooks onto the train in a different way, but the basic design is still the same.
I mean how could you claim that MF is the first coaster with a cable-lift when Sansei Yusoki built a coaster with one 34 years earlier, it doesn't make sense.
It's most likely that Intamin have never heard of this coaster and then claimed that they made the first cable-lift system for MF, and then many enthusiasts believed them since they didn't know about Giant Coaster as well, so the fact is still that they are wrong.

Instead be happy that you learned something new today.

Here is a press release for Millennium Force's opening in 2000, which is regarded as the first elevator lift system to be used on a roller coaster. (At least as the system is commonly understood)

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/co ... mf_pr.html

You are correct, I misspoke on the stadium seating and magnetic brakes. The Superman RoSes and MF all featured this design - I had just forgotten that a RoS was built in 1999.

Yes of course and Eejanaika have 14 inversions as we all know. How many of you knew about the cable lift on Giant Coaster before I posted is? Did Intamin or the guy/girl that wrote the press release know, who knows really. But since it's such an unknown coaster that have been shut for some time then why not claim it as a first and boast about it.
In my view then Sansei Yusoki made the first one.

And you are welcome to your view. I'd be intrigued to learn more about the Giant Coaster's lift hill design, and how it compares to the modern day cable lift that Intamin uses. Technically, Vekoma Boomerangs also use a cable lift as well for their first hill.

At least as cable lift systems are understood today - fast, weighted cables, I would say Cedar Point/Intamin were first. Revolution wasn't the first roller coaster with a loop, but is still regarded as such given modern times.

I have split this discussion from the magnetic brake topic into its own thread.

Wow! Nice find bergochdalbana :--D

I've never heard of that roller coaster, but chances are big that Intamin has. They probably saw the design and copied it and since they believed no one else would know of "Giant Coaster" they claimed MF to be the first with a cable lift. Of course there is a chance that they developed their cable lift without knowing of the Japanse coaster. But more likely they copied it and claimed the invention as their own.

Hyde244 said:
Revolution wasn't the first roller coaster with a loop, but is still regarded as such given modern times.
No, but it is the first looping steel coaster, isn't it? That's how I've interpreted the record anyway. We all know that a lot of the old woodies used to incorporate (lethal) loops..

^ No, the russian slides (whatever they were called back in the day) were eventually made with metal railing and one even had a loop. This is from a book I've been reading on the history of coasters (quite interesting), so I will have to nab the passage when I get home.

Then again, it also all depends on what you count as the first true coaster, the wooden slide things or the Switchback Railways?

I guess in a way he's right. How many of us here consider Stealth (later known as BORG, and now Nighthawk) the first flying coaster? It's pretty widely considered as the first to my knowledge, but there have been two "flying" coasters, neither of which still exist, that were operating years before Stealth.

^^ True.

^ True.

It is all a matter of framing and context. Back to the loop example, the vertical loop, at least in the way we have come to understand it, was not created until 1976 with Revolution at SFMM and Corkscrew at Cedar Point. (Corkscrew even more so, as it is the first true elliptical loop)

So with the cable lift, at least in regards to how we understand it, it is very fair to consider Millennium Force the first, even though we rode them in the 80s and 90s with Vekoma Boomerangs.

Both sides of the discussion bring up good points. I look at it like the stories of Dennis Ritchie and Steve Jobs. Ritchie is basically an unknown guy even though computers as we know it wouldn't exist without him, yet Steve Jobs arguably gets more credit than he deserves. The cable lift may have been utilized by this Yusoki guy first, but Intamin made it popular.

S:RoS doesn't have magnetic brakes, it has the old style of Intamin horizontal clamp brakes that happen to look like the magnetic brakes on MF.

^ So would it be similar to the Schwarzkopf design?

I was going to swear that the magnetic brake wasn't introduced until 2000 with MF and the Supermans, but couldn't come up with evidence otherwise to prove that. (Having never ridden the 1999 RoS)