What's new

Firework fans: Eat your hearts out

marc

CF Legend
They have also built a car racing track there and they plan to have the theme parks.

I never said the fireworks were a waste of money, I just meant for me someone that spends a lot on fuel that it was a bit ott seeing the price of fuel thats all. Even if they were to run a months worth of adverts it would not cost them $20 million, thats all I meant.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^Yes, that area of the world is attracting alot of motorsport events at the moment, due to their great facilities and also allowing tobacco advertising unlike Europe. Also by the time the oil does run out they will have their tourism industry established and not have to rely on the oil too much.

Jools

Giga Poster
Whoa thoughs fireworks lit up the whole of Palm Jebel Ali!
I have to say: More magical than Disney!

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
southend_marc said:
They have also built a car racing track there and they plan to have the theme parks.

I never said the fireworks were a waste of money, I just meant for me someone that spends a lot on fuel that it was a bit ott seeing the price of fuel thats all. Even if they were to run a months worth of adverts it would not cost them $20 million, thats all I meant.

Don't forget that a large percentage of the price at the pumps is tax, and you must accept that that the current government are very adept at pissing our tax revenues up the wall. At least we got to see a spectacular fireworks show with this money.

And as for the cost effectiveness of this display, I think it's great. There are several luxury hotels to choose from in Dubai, so running a month's worth of adverts would not exactly distinguish them from the competition. People who pay £15,000 a night for a hotel suite aren't price sensitive, they want the best, and this fireworks display is a very good way of demonstrating that their hotel is the best.

The real question is, who pays £15,000 a night for a hotel, and it's famous film stars, sports stars, ridiculously wealthy businessmen and their like. How did they make their money, myriad different ways, none of which was likely to have been oil.

tks

Strata Poster
There's plenty of oil left in the world, and it won't run out by 2020.. Trust me. I'm a geologist, or sorts.

marc

CF Legend
Sorry to dig this old topic up, but a year later look at the mess.

But just to show what a waste of money this really was, Dubai are in $59bn of debt and it seems there is not really a way out. Wonder how long it will be before fuel goes up even more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8381258.stm

They just tried to grow to fast.