What's new

Ferrari Park in Abu Dhabi

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
jokerman said:
Without turning this topic into another huge physics debate, the goggles should be travelling forwards at the same speed as the train at the time they leave the persons face, and so if they hit the person on the row behind, it won't appear that they are travelling at any great speed.
Yes, but you've played down the effect of air-resistance. They glasses could potentially hit you with quite a considerable force as the glasses are very light and so will decelerate faster. Just think about chucking something out a car window and how quickly it shoots off backwards. It's just the same.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I don't deny that they'll hit you at a fairly high speed, but air resistance will not be strong enough to cause them to come to almost a complete stop as UC's suggestion would have needed.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^No, but mark my words, getting hit in the face by something doing around 30mph ****ing hurts, so even if they slow to half their original speed they will do a lot of damage.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I think it could certainly sting, and give you a nasty red mark on your face for a little while, but they are only flimsy plastic things.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I hope that's not referring to me too... ;)

jokerman

Giga Poster
I don't think anyone's suggesting you'd want to get smacked by a pair of flying goggles, merely that it won't cause any serious injury.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I can't imagine it'd be healthy for the hydraulic system.

Also, how gutted must that rollercoaster at the Nurburgring be. Already redundant.

And yeah, watch the video and see how fast they go flying off and then tell me it wouldn't hurt.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Hardly anything that the hundreds of other parks located near the sea seem to get on just fine with.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
After seeing the aerial and offride views, I still don't see how it's not intense. It's bookin' it around those turns.

The rest of the park looks pretty fun as well. It's definitely a different kind of park. The dueler looks pretty fun. There don't seem to be many more thrill rides besides the space shot in the center of the building.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Hixee said:
^Hardly anything that the hundreds of other parks located near the sea seem to get on just fine with.
Are there any Intamins, let alone launching Intamins, by the sea? lol.

It seems like plenty of costal coasters do have trouble anyway, it's just usually with wind... not problems caused by salt water. But how would we know of such issues anyway? Is salt water known to damage other structures on the coast?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Hixee said:
Are there any Intamins, let alone launching Intamins, by the sea?
No, but I was talking about coasters in general.

Xpress said:
I'd imagine being close to the ocean might have an affect on the overall ride as well.
That was Xpress' initial post, so I assumed he meant the 'track/train' part instead of the launching mechanism.

I wouldn't see much of a reason (and I'll happily be corrected) why there would be a huge difference between different types of steel coaster by the sea.

jokerman

Giga Poster
Xpress said:
The entire park is massive. If you look on Google Earth, you can see Formula Rossa is just a small bit of the entire lot. Typical of Abu Dhabi to go big or go home.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&expId ... a=N&tab=wl

I'd say Formula Rossa makes up a considerable amount of the park.

Anyway, that becomes much more interesting if you scroll over to the racetrack. It's so close to the park, and probably much more interesting...