What's new

Ferrari Park in Abu Dhabi

jokerman

Giga Poster
I wasn't expecting much tbh, because I havn't really been following this ride closely, but there is so much you could do with that much speed, and it just feels wasted. I don't think it's helped by having a rather dull exterior of the park. If you look at Cheetah Hunt, another new ride with high speed, it has interesting surroundings. This just feels like it's in the middle of the desert, and it seems dull.

nealbie

CF Legend
I think the main problem is probably down to the amount of speed they take off before it goes up the hill at the end of the launch. Perhaps if it doesn't reduce it too much the rest of the ride would be better?

Ben

CF Legend
All they need do is not have as many bloody trims on the first hill! It doesn't even NEED to be that slow at all...

Launch looks sick though.

jokerman

Giga Poster
There are alot of trims on the first hill, I agree, and they do kill a lot of speed, but I don't think it could go much faster over that hill safely. The problem for me is the endless boring long turns that do nothing but use up the speed that is left.

Snoo

The Legend
Agreed.. launch is epic.. but the rest of the ride is just meh on top of meh. Echoing other peoples thoughts.. less trims would make for a better ride.

CMonster

Giga Poster
I think the ride is still really fast after the trims, but the turns and hills are just soooo long and drawn out, it looks slow in the vid. Plus it's in the middle of nowhere...

nealbie

CF Legend
UC said:
To those who are complaining about the trimming, I'm not sure a ride at a sustained speed of 120+ mph in the desert would be very comfortable.

The air is very dry, there's a lot of sand, and it can be somewhat difficult to breath at that speed with no real protection.

I don't think anyone's arguing a case for no trims at all; merely that's there too much of them. :p

Would be interesting to know just how much it brakes down to.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I honestly thought it was going to stall on that first hill. Ridiculously slow, I'll put it down to being brand new/not rubbered in/empty train/over trimmed.

marc

CF Legend
UC said:
To those who are complaining about the trimming, I'm not sure a ride at a sustained speed of 120+ mph in the desert would be very comfortable.

The air is very dry, there's a lot of sand, and it can be somewhat difficult to breath at that speed with no real protection.

I did not even notice the trims :oops:

Also they say it has corners based on the best tracks in the world, well I fail to see that anywhere on this coaster.

Snoo

The Legend
UC said:

That's where being an enthusiast comes in.. who gives a ****? ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Marc that's clearly marketing spin in the vein hope that nobody will realise where the track design actually came from.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
UC said:

That.

Yeah, the ride is trimmed, but I bet you're still going close to 100mph after the trims. The ride is 6,561 feet long, so even at a fast speed, it's going to look slow because it has to cover so much track. Those turns may look slow and graceful, but I'm sure they're loaded with forces.

If they wanted to have the ride travel at 150 mph around the circuit, they would have designed it to do so. The ride would end up being close to 10,000 feet long(if not longer) because of the high forces. You can't have quick, snappy transitions and turns on a fast ride like this. The area of the land the ride sits on would probably triple and the cost would skyrocket. The park just didn't have the capitol to build a ride that you guys dreamed this would be.

nealbie

CF Legend
UC said:
nealbie said:
I don't think anyone's arguing a case for no trims at all; merely that's there too much of them. :p

I don't think I ever said anyone was arguing a case for no trims at all; merely that there's a logical reason they are there.

Fair enough. Just saw your (hopefully) sarcasm laced post as a cheeky way of saying, "well d'uh, it needs trims!" ;) :p

jokerman

Giga Poster
Antinos said:
Yeah, the ride is trimmed, but I bet you're still going close to 100mph after the trims.

Well, I did some quick calculations, and if you assume it almost stops on the top of the hill, it comes out as reaching 113 kph at the bottom. Of course, if you add the speed it actually carries over the hill, then it will increase a bit, but we're ignoring air resistance and friction, so these will take the speed back down a bit.

Basically, I don't think it'll be hitting 100 mph for very long after that drop.

Martyn B

CF Legend
A lot more trims must have been added to that hill since that video was made a couple of pages back. It absolutely thundered over that hill then, now it just seem really, really dull.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
That seemed rather dull on the POV... Obviously we cannot feel the speed but surely it should be going over the hills with a bit more pace?

Thom25

Roller Poster
I couldn't agree more that this ride's POV was disapointing. I did some math too - using the video's timer, the ride duration is 75 seconds, so with over 6,500 feet of track, it's average speed is less than 70 MPH.

To me, this ride is like the back half of MF - very fun, but not very thrilling.