What's new

Favourite and Worst Loopscrew?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Since the Mitch Hawker poll continues to put all these identical coasters into the same bracket, thus not allowing any real way to compare them, I thought I'd start a topic in here. Well, that and the fact that there hasn't been anything new in Polls and Opinions for ages and I couldn't think of anything else off the top of my head.

So, what are your favourite and worst Loopscrew style coasters?

My favourite is Fantasia Special: Soooooo smooth, great frist drop into a tunnel, forceful loops and the world's only triple corkscrew. Easily in my top 20 coasters.

special%201.jpg

special%207.jpg

Followed by Crazy Coaster: A bit bumpy, and very dangerous since it's not fenced-off at all, but a really cool layout, airtime and looks great in all the overgrown vegetation.

crazy%20coaster%205.jpg

crazy%20coaster%203.jpg

crazy%20coaster%201.jpg

The worst, by far, which is also one of my worst coasters of all time is Rolling X-Train, which I would place, if that were possible, very near the bottom of a poll, approximately 200 places below my "Favourite LoopScrew."

rolling3.jpg

Notice how I didn't just take 10 seconds to write a list...?

marc

CF Legend
I have only done 2 Corkscrews and Alton's was better than Flamingolands.

The only looper I have done is at Heide Park which was rather forceless. I can not even remember if thats a loopscrew tbh.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah that is one. Basically, a loopscrew is a coaster, usually by Vekoma/Arrow (though some other companies have done them) that contains both vertical loops and corkscrews. The newer-style Intamin and B&M loopers wouldn't fit into that category.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I really liked Big Loop, was lots of fun! My favourite is Python though mainly because it has connotations and holds a place in my heart (first looping coaster).

Error

Strata Poster
Favorite one: Demon at Six Flags Great American
p13877.jpg

It's by far the only one I didn't come up with a splitting headache. Very smooth and forceful and a classic.

Least favorite: Vortex

p141.jpg

****ING PIECE OF ****ING **** I'VE EVER RODE.

That is all.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I think I only have Corkscrew at the Point to talk about. I shant. It was actuall hell. Whoever thought steel car, no padding, on an Arrow, needs to gain some dam marbles.

Emmett

Giga Poster
Favourite: Big Loop, Heide. Its only my favourite because its not as painful as the other 2 I've done.

Worst: Korkkiruuvi, Särkänniemi. Awful, thank god they have just got rid of it.

Favourites would be Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure simply for the drop and the forcefulness of the loops. Two other favourites would be Ninja for the awesome headchopper, as well as Demon because it was smooth and had an interesting tunnel.

sfgadv_gasm.jpg

ninja.jpg

demon.jpg

Least.. Well I don't really have one.. The one at Michigan's Adventure isn't really a loopscrew as there are no loops, but it's not the greatest, except for the airtime going down the first hill.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Out of the five I've ridden, Viper at SFMM is my favorite.
MagicMountainMay32009027-2-1.jpg

It's a solid coaster. Good first drop, good speed, good hang-time, good layout. It can also be very smooth if you sit in 5-1.

Vortex at KI comes next.
P6190682-1.jpg

I also enjoyed this one. The layout is pretty unique (at least for an Arrow Loopscrew) and while the ride is rough, it can still be fun. I really liked the straight first drop and the insane hang-time on those high-up corkscrews.

Then Corkscrew at CP.
P6160169-1.jpg

It's an odd little ride. The layout is simple; drop, hill, loop, turn, double corkscrew. The ride would be absolutely nothing without that little hill in between the first drop and loop...it's the perfect definition of "OMFG EJECTOR AIR". I rode the ride towards the front and was so surprised by it that I hopped right on to the back after...definitely one of the most extreme ejector air spots on a coaster I've ridden.

My last two Loopscrews, Demon at CGA and Cayon Blaster at the Adventuredome, are nearly tied in my coaster rankings.
P1011504-2-1.jpg

(Don't have a picture of Canyon Blaster)
Both coasters are rough and pointless.

A

Anonymous

I have several favourites, say one of each manufacturer...

Favorites:
Fantasia Special - Fantasia Land (Arrow) for the same reasons Gavin said, also probably the best one

Black Hole Express, Horror Express, Scream Machine (or whatever you want to call it) - Kumdori Land (Vekoma), it's big, smooth and delivers bot power and really nice air, and it don't hurt a bit

Loop Screw - Seibuen Yuenchi (Togo), a really interesting coaster with much more then just Loops and Corkscrews, edges out the other Togo Loop Screw I have ridden by being longer and not having a 5+g lateral spike in the corkscrews...

As for least favourite, I would love to put one of the worst coasters out there, Space 2000 - Gyeongju World, but since it misses out on the loop bit, then I have to say 88 train - Children's Grand Park, just because of those hideous trains, but then again Python at Efteling isn't far behind...

EDIT, oh I forgot Rolling Death-train as well, I really hope that Everland saves Eagle Fortress and replaces that crappy coaster instead...

Lucy

Hyper Poster
My favourite would also be Big Loop @ Heide - I was expecting it to be rough but in fact it was fairly smooth :D

Worst, not sure as I've only ridden a couple - even Corkscrew Coaster at Rainbow's End was good :D

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
loefet said:
As for least favourite, I would love to put one of the worst coasters out there, Space 2000 - Gyeongju World

That is my all-time worst coaster. I didn't include it though as it would fit more into the Corkscrew category. But yeah. Biggest pos ever constructed.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I'VE DONE THIS ONE.

Cyclone - Dreamworld

Cyclone was actually rather good, pretty smooth, and I like the fact that the inversions are at the end of the ride, as opposed to being right at the beginning and then having the drops and turns lasting until the end of the ride - it gives you something to look forward to throughout the ride. Just out of curiosity, who made the trains? They look kind of weird, with big gaps and stuff.

Rush

Giga Poster
^Corkscrew and Thunderbolt aren't Loopscrews. Loopscrews contain both corkscrews and loops not either one of them.

As for me I can't think of any I have done. (Except the B&M/Intamins which don't really count.)

Tony

Hyper Poster
I've only done 2.

1. Magic Mountain, Gardaland - Was actually pretty good, smooth quite forceful but it had a really bad jerk in the helix.

2. Demon, Six Flags Great America - Was pretty crap and the transition into the corkscrews was just LOL.