What's new

Favorite '20s Coaster?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Forget sentiment. Forget historical significance. Of the currently operating coasters built in the 1920s (or earlier), which one is your favorite ride?

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I don't have an answer to my own question, really, but for now I'd say the Coney Island Cyclone, with Rye Playland's Dragon Coaster as runner-up.

Coaster Cinema

Mega Poster
1. Giant Dipper - Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
2. Wild One - Six Flags America
3. Thunderbolt - Kennywood
4. Cyclone - Coney Island
5. Jack Rabbit - Kennywood
6. Leap the Dips - Lakemont Park
7. Racer - Kennywood
8. Giant Dipper - Belmont Park
9. Thunderhawk - Dorney Park

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Of the ones that I've done-

1) Jack Rabbit - KW (by quite far, this ride is incredible)
2) Racer - KW
3) Thunderbolt - KW
4) Wildcat - Lake Compounce
5) Thunderhawk - Dorney

Kennywood really were the kings of the 1920's! All of them are still in great shape and really fun rides.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
From what I've ridden, Thunderbolt at Kennywood, though there's a moment of recognizing the coaster saw major addition in 1968 to it's original Vettel layout from 1924.

The original Ravine Flyer in Waldameer is another coaster I've always had fascination with, partly because not much documentation was kept from it's design. It too was a Vettel creation, built in 1922.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
From what I've ridden, Thunderbolt at Kennywood, though there's a moment of recognizing the coaster saw major addition in 1968 to it's original Vettel layout from 1924.

The original Ravine Flyer in Waldameer is another coaster I've always had fascination with, partly because not much documentation was kept from it's design. It too was a Vettel creation, built in 1922.
Out of interest - do you know what the original Ravine Flyer layout was like? I know it went over a road and the station is still standing as a picnic pavillion, but not much else.