What's new

Fantastic old coaster footage/pics

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Hmm, might as well add something to the topic too? Might not be fantastic... Might not be old... but here are some of my photos from Libertyland that was in Memphis, Tennessee some 13 years ago, the parks final year.
Image00015.jpg

Image00034.jpg
Image00115.jpg

Image00001.jpg

And because I'm lame... here's a photo of me with Zippin Pippin at Bay Beach and Green Bay, WI.... Holding my shirt from Zippin Pippin... when it was still at Libertyland. <3

August 20, 2012
by CanobieFan, on Flickr​

Will

Strata Poster
A lot of people have probably seen this before, but I found a surprisingly good youtube video that I actually learned something from last night.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
**** me. I learned that my RCT3 recreation of a Switchback has been mistaken for an actual photo lol

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ran across an old Blue Streak POV Cedar Point has on their Youtube channel. Notice the track is still brown and unpainted, this did not happen until later on.

Back then:

Now:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Flicking through some old British Pathe videos i found this weird contraption from 1953 at Oktoberfest

Its right at the start of this little video and theres less than 10 seconds of footage but its intriguing

It can also be seen here at Hamburg Dom in 1950 but doesnt show much more. (Footage at the 1:00min mark)

Its almost like a flat ride that spins around and uses the centrifugal force to launch the car down a track almost virigina reel style. Anyone seen anything like this before?

On another video. I believe this is the side friction that became the Runaway Coaster at Rotunda park in Folkestone but back during its travelling days. This footage is from a fair in Basel in 1965. I didnt know until this week that there was an operating classic Figure 8 Side Friction in the UK right up until the 2000's. Love the story of how it was found in a field in Holland and shipped the UK as well. Just a shame it wasnt saved, it was pretty unique.
Footage here is near the end of the video.

Lastly some great footage from 1938 and the opening of another long dead UK coaster the Cyclone in South Shields. The ride lis similar to Steel Stellar that operated in Clacton until the mid 70s.
This one however fared less well and only ran for 2 years before the steel was used for the war effort.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
There were a few of those in the US traveling at fairs. That's actually the first video I've seen of one.... but I've seen photos and read descriptions of it on Carnival Warehouse a whole bunch. I believe they were called "Boomerangs". A quick Google search -Coaster returned photos of it.
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/63/44/58/634458a2ddae741ba36f1c960ae7171c--amusement.jpg
Boomerang ride #2
Boomerang ride #3

I also came across this video of Savin Rock, a park that used to be in Connecticut that shows it, for a few seconds.

Also, from what I've read, the ride operator had the control to release the car down the tunnel

Last edited:

vaugc002

Mega Poster
That Boomerang Virginia Reel contraption looks ridiculously sketchy - if the car got released just a split second earlier or later it'd smash into the wall! Urgh no thanks

The Cyclone at South Shields was certainly an impressive-looking ride! It's such a shame we don't have these giants still standing.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So am I seeing it correctly, that the car freely engages with an arm, goes through a few rotations, and is then somehow released?

How could any of this go wrong? :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So am I seeing it correctly, that the car freely engages with an arm, goes through a few rotations, and is then somehow released?

How could any of this go wrong? :p
I mean, it sounds like the setup for a Jackass skit.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I remember it being like that before Katanga Canyon was built.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I remember seeing a photo of the Boomerang ride before and being intrigued by it. I'm sure I saw it on themagiceye in an article about Battersea Park in London.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Flicking through some old British Pathe videos i found this weird contraption from 1953 at Oktoberfest

Lastly some great footage from 1938 and the opening of another long dead UK coaster the Cyclone in South Shields. The ride lis similar to Steel Stellar that operated in Clacton until the mid 70s.
This one however fared less well and only ran for 2 years before the steel was used for the war effort.

Before my Granda passed away last year I asked if he could remember it and he said he was on the seafront when it opened and he rode a couple of times and said all he could remember was it being very bumpy. Nice to see the video to remind me of him