What's new

Famous actors who actually can't act...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Carrying on from the Film topic where Jack Black is currently my object of hate.

Who do you think is a famous actor out there who can't actually act... Well they can, but whatever film they're in they just play themselves. Usually they pick roles (or are put in roles) that simply meet their personal "character".

Jack Black is obvious in this one, but not so contentiously Jack Nicholson is also a prime candidate. You need slightly mad and slightly moody and sudden crazy anger - Jack Nicholson's your man.

Donald Pleasence was another too (if anyone remembers him?). Any others (I have a few more waiting in the wings :) )

nadroJ

CF Legend
Michael Caine has always annoyed me in this sense, he just plays himself! I don't think I've ever seen him play anything other than Michael Caine. So yeah, him. I'm sure there are plenty of others I could think of but he tops my list.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Keeanu Reeves, Jason Sudekis, Charlie Day, Jason Bateman, Megan Fox, Vin Diesel, Jason Statham, any other action ""start" and the 4 whores from Sex and the City.

spicy

Giga Poster
Russell Brand plays himself in the films I have seen him in.

Danny Dyer also plays himself in the films he is in which actually makes them unwatchable.

Snoo

The Legend
Will Ferrell.

Jesus.

I do find that he is MUCH better when it is just his voice.. Megamind comes to mind. Seth Rogan and Jack Black also fall into that category.. with Paul and Kung Fu Panda being pretty good minus the actual acting of the actors.

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
^ I second that. The only thing I liked Will Ferrell in was Anchorman. Everything else, ****.

Nicolas Cage, anyone? Awful.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
lakeccrunner said:
There are plenty of films I have avoided because of that sneering tube.

Worse than well known crap actors are those who everyone says in fantastic, but in reality, are dreadful or at best very mediocre - I for example think Brian Cox was an infinitely better Hannibal Lecktor than Anthony Hopkins, but the latter got all of the plaudits, even though clearly his favourite meat was HAM.

Error

Strata Poster
lakeccrunner said:
^ I second that. The only thing I liked Will Ferrell in was Anchorman. Everything else, ****.

Honestly the only movie I liked him in was Stranger than Fiction. He wasn't amazing or anything, but you could actually take him seriously.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
lakeccrunner said:

Mr Cage goes on the line of actually being awful yet watchable at the same time...

Only he could pull off the clip below and make it truly memorable...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lct6x-XqWrw[/youtube]

khanage

Roller Poster
There are a lot of actors who are character actors that best at certain roles like some that have been mentioned but it doesn't mean they can't act.

Mark Wahlberg, now there's a very poor actor.

Disagree about Jack Black though Furie, awesome guy!

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Jean Claude Van Damme.

Could probably add Steven Seagal to that.

Going back a few years mind...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
kimahri said:
HOW **** DARE YOU BESMERCH NICCY CAGE!

He can act, he just acts too much. It is amazing though <3.

Nic Cage said:
Hmmmmmmumblemubmle, hrumumble, harrrrmumblemumblerumumble - CUT, NEXT!

slappy mcguire said:
Worse than well known crap actors are those who everyone says in fantastic, but in reality, are dreadful or at best very mediocre - I for example think Brian Cox was an infinitely better Hannibal Lecktor than Anthony Hopkins, but the latter got all of the plaudits, even though clearly his favourite meat was HAM.

If you know the books, Brian Cox was superb as Lector. It was subtle and scary, but you had to kind of "get it". I'm a big fan of Brian Cox anyway, but he also falls into this category and is pretty much always himself :lol:

khanage said:
There are a lot of actors who are character actors that best at certain roles like some that have been mentioned but it doesn't mean they can't act.

I agree. This is kind of about people who can act, but just always play the same person. There's a difference between always doing the same thing, and not being able to act. Look at Nicholson's roles, they mostly fit him perfectly and you don't really care that Jack Torrence and Jack Napier are just Jack Nicholson because he captures the screen so well and "fits". However, that doesn't stop him from being a one-trick pony ;)

khanage said:
Disagree about Jack Black though Furie, awesome guy!

As far as Tenacious D goes, though it's not to my taste (a little too immature ;) ), I agree yes. I think that there's a fair amount of comic talent there (if it appeals to you). I don't have a problem with that, but the same over-the-top JACK BLACK I AM THE PERSONIFICATION OF TONGUE IN CHEEK METAL HEAD! in all his films (even King bloody Kong to a degree) is just grating. I think he comes across as being portrayed as much funnier and better than he really is.