What's new

Eurovision 2014

TilenB

Strata Poster
With only an hour left until the action really begins in Copenhagen, I'm asking you, which countries are among your favourites for winning the 2014 edition? Which acts are the most interesting, funny or controversial in your opinion?

My favourite song this year is France's Moustache, performed by a band called Twin Twin and my favourite for win is Armenia's Aram MP3 with his song Not Alone (although a part of me doesn't want to see eurovision moving back to Caucasian region once again...). Other likeable songs (for me) this year are coming from Greece, Montenegro, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland and UK.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
As everyone in the UK every year 'our song this year is better than it has been for years', and I'm not gonna lie I really like it. I love Eurovision. I'm gutted I'm not with the other goons this evening but alas I have other things to be doing.

Stick out favourites for me. Austria's bearded lady, there's something spookily attractive about her and I don't get it... haha. I always like to support Malta's song and it's nice and upbeat unlike years previous. I LOVE Iceland's song however they weren't even expected to make the grand final!

I HATED that stupid 'bake a cake' song that whoever sung on Tuesday's semi, not to worry, they didn't get through.

I can't watch it until later so social media is a no no for me tonight!

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I really like this comp, but I honestly feel that all songs are pretty crappy this year, but if I would guess I would say Austria takes it.

Rach

Giga Poster
2ana7u7y.jpg

Me and Peter are actually in Copenhagen watching it!
I know Jake and Nic are here too.

That picture was from earlier today and Molly performing!

Saw 2 of the 3 final performances and now sat in the centre of Copenhagen watching it on the big screens.

Amazing atmosphere - never seen anything like it or been to anything as exciting!

The UK has an amazing amount of support over here and pleased to be a part of it!

Aside from routing for UK, we really like Switzerland, Sweden, Iceland and France.

I think Austria is going to win this. The amount of support we've seen for it has been phenomenal!
Would love to see the UK win it, but I don't think so!

Enjoy it Europe! You're in for a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I've seen Eurovision trending on the internet. Can someone explain to me what it is? I tried reading the Wikipedia article but I still don't get it. Its a music competition with all European countries?

Posted while being curious and uncultured.

Ben

CF Legend
^Yeah, it's a song contest between European countries.

It's... really not that complicated?

I'm SO happy Austria won, that entry was amazing. And Austria was on the list for next year's country creds anyway, so THIS HAS TO HAPPEN.

peep

CF Legend
I'm sad that Iceland didn't do better. I kinda liked the Netherlands entry but it wasn't a winner in my books. Sweden and Romania deserve a mention too.

Soooooooooo glad Austria won, such an incredible song and voice. It sounds like a Shirley Bassey Bond soundtrack (prob the best compliment you could get from me). I actually feel really happy she won. Yay!

Glennderp, as Ben said, not that complicated. Each European country puts forward an act, everyone then votes for their favourite song and the winner gets to host the event the following year. It's amazing.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

TilenB

Strata Poster
Wow, am I really the only one that really doesn't like the Austrian entry? I mean, the song is nothing more than just average and I think that he is making fun of LGBT community. I feel bad for brainwashed people that have Mr. Neuwirth as their idol... :(

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I didn't like austrias entry either - liked the netherlands, Malta and russia (just a shame about the politics - deserved to do better)

Poor contest overall though - too many dire songs

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Ugh. The Netherlands' song was awful. It was slow, dull, depressing. I nearly fell asleep. Malta's song was much the same. France was the worst song absolutely awful. I have it 2/10.

My favourite was Sweden. In fact it was the only song I felt worthy of a 9/10. Even then it wasn't as good as last year's winning song.

I have to agree with the demon though. It was genuinely not great with generally mediocre songs. No real stand out winner.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Netherlands song was awful, how it finished 2nd I'll never know...

Austria did deserve to win, because the song was decent, though I was also surprised how badly the Iceland and France songs did actually... Especially France tbh...

Also Poland
icon_datass.gif

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
My favourite two were Iceland and Finland. The Austrian song was decent so it was good that won.
Hilliarious how badly France did!

Darren B

Giga Poster
The song was half decent to be fair but let's face it; the guy (stop calling him a woman!) won it due to his appearance. I don't know whether the appearance was formatted for the contest but it played a major part in his success. My assumption is that he lives his life as a man, right? And dresses himself up as a woman for performances? Either way I though he had a fabulous look and was a deserved winner.

I thought the UK entry was pants. I know it would never happen but I'd like to see a naturally talented young artist(s) like Sam Smith, Foxes or Bastille represent us next year. I know that's not how it works in this country but it'd still give us something to be proud of regardless of finishing position.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yep, he's a drag queen, so it's equally "right" to use "he" or "she" since he is a man, but the character of Conchita is a woman.

A lot of people keep using "she" as they seem to think she's transgendered (really?????).

Anyway, take away the theatricality and the media exposure, and it was still one of the stronger songs.

Overall it wasn't a great year though. The staging/lighting was great, but every other part of the show that Denmark was responsible for - the presenters, half-time show etc, - was absolute s**te.

marc

CF Legend
I was saying last night there was not one song I would actually want to buy from this years Eurovision.

I thought it was funny every time Russia were mention they got a boo from the crowd.

peep

CF Legend
I agree that the staging was absolutely incredible. I thought some of it was very cool (where the hell was the wind coming from??). I also concur that the interval sections were dreadful. Although the bit with Graham was random but kinda hilarious.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
The interval sections had a lot of Pilou and were therefore amazing.

See, I think the song selection was probably the best they've had for years as well. Normally, I get the album and a day later listen to like, three songs, I'm probably still listening to half of them and that's big for me!