What's new

Europa Park | Voltron | Mack Rides Stryker Coaster | 2024

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Don't know how reliable this is.....

I also heard dates of 'summer 2024' which is worrying.....so I'd also appreciate an answer to this if anyone knows.....
What an ick, constantly calling it 'Voltron Coaster'...
2024 Park Opening is March 23rd & it's yet to test. I imagine they'll want to test & train staff thoroughly before opening so it might still be possible, question is when will Alpenexpress & Tiroler WildWasser Bahn open?

Esther7

Roller Poster
Don't know how reliable this is.....

I also heard dates of 'summer 2024' which is worrying.....so I'd also appreciate an answer to this if anyone knows.....
Construction is quite advanced, so I hope it will be open in spring, but it's impossible to know yet. 😔

I think they'll say something official soon about the opening date, so it's better to wait a bit to book flights.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Website still states summer season opening - https://www.europapark.de/en/theme-park/voltron-nevera-powered-rimac

"When the new coaster opens in the 2024 summer season"

However, they classify "Summer Season" as Spring onwards

"Summer Season​

23.03.2024 – 27.09.2024​

Europa-Park is open daily from 9am until at least 6pm.
Summer, sun and water fun - all of this awaits you during Europa-Park’s summer season! Look forward to unforgettable hours with loved ones and a trip through Europe that won’t soon be forgotten."

Can't see anything official online anywhere else yet. 4 months until opening date is definitely possible if they get their skates on tho.

cookie

Giga Poster
What an ick, constantly calling it 'Voltron Coaster'...
2024 Park Opening is March 23rd & it's yet to test. I imagine they'll want to test & train staff thoroughly before opening so it might still be possible, question is when will Alpenexpress & Tiroler WildWasser Bahn open?
Testing procedures don’t have to take that long. If they’ve got trains running around the track come January, there’s enough time to have everything ready by March (provided construction isn’t halted by another harsh winter like what happened with Eurosat).

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Testing procedures don’t have to take that long. If they’ve got trains running around the track come January, there’s enough time to have everything ready by March (provided construction isn’t halted by another harsh winter like what happened with Eurosat).
Normally no they don't but with this what is essentially a prototype I'm sure they'll want to test absolutely everything to the Nth degree

catsounds

Mega Poster
Normally no they don't but with this what is essentially a prototype I'm sure they'll want to test absolutely everything to the Nth degree
i don't think the prototype is that much more advanced than anything they've done before? there's projects that the track isn't even complete yet set to open at the same time (hyperia)

Indy

Hyper Poster
i don't think the prototype is that much more advanced than anything they've done before? there's projects that the track isn't even complete yet set to open at the same time (hyperia)
Hyperia really isn't a good comparison as it's a simple lift hill coaster with just a few trains and a train design that has been utilized before at similar speeds.

Based on officially released videos and stats, Voltron's layout features at least the following:
  • A vertical launch
  • A second launch into a zero-g stall
  • Block brake
  • Turntable
  • Swing launch (incorporated into the turntable)
  • Block brake
  • Final brake run (with an unknown number of blocks)
In addition, there are almost certainly thematics prior to the first launch that have not been revealed, plus an unknown number of blocks. The ride has 7 trains, so we know it has at least 8 blocks. That is a lot of blocks with a lot of launches and a lot of sensors that need to be calibrated and tested. Part of commissioning is trying to make sure that every failure situation imaginable has been accounted for and tested. As additional blocks/sensors/launches get added to a ride, the number of potential failure combinations can grow exponentially which can require a lot of time. Then, factor in the fact that this train configuration has never been used before. Sure, the single car has been used, but joining them to make a train can create some unknowns that need to be checked or potentially fixed.

So simply put, it's a very complex attraction. Furthermore, it's a bit of a statement piece by Mack and will undoubtedly be the marquee attraction for a park that not only showcases Mack's products, but is also one of the most popular parks in Europe. There is a lot riding on it and Mack will surely want to have it running as smoothly and reliably as possible before opening it to the masses.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I fear we are probably facing a harsh winter, this weekend is already on a snow warning for large parts of Germany (I'm expecting light snow at Phanta this weekend).

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Additionally it was mentioned that testing will begin very shortly but without the trains having seats to speed the process up by 2-3 weeks, instead they'll be running with the weights that were aboard during delivery, pictured below.
Also interestingly each train consists of 24,893 components with them being the most detailed & complex trains they've made yet and will also feature onboard lighting, the seats are also custom, having a specially heightened headrest compared to the standard Mack seat backs due to the inverted top hat.

All very interesting, cant wait to see it start cycling

Attachments

• Voltron.jpeg
    Voltron.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 58

cookie

Giga Poster
I guess since it’s technically an experimental new train and track design they want to make sure both the chassis and structure can handle the forces before they go through the effort of putting all the seats and decals in? I have to imagine the launched inverted top hat alone probably pulls some Gs in places most other coasters wouldn’t.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I guess since it’s technically an experimental new train and track design they want to make sure both the chassis and structure can handle the forces before they go through the effort of putting all the seats and decals in? I have to imagine the launched inverted top hat alone probably pulls some Gs in places most other coasters wouldn’t.
They did actually say its to speed up testing by 2/3 weeks by not putting seats on yet

Last edited: