What's new

Efteling | Baron 1898 | B&M Dive Coaster

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Making off:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw469H0FBqo[/youtube]

Testing with sound effects:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7oHOU5GX0A[/youtube]

I LOVE the bell sound when going up the lift and the sound when you drop. It adds so much to the atmosphere and makes the entire ride more eerie.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Okay, I really like both sounds! That tolling bell and whistle at the top is probably going to add a lot to the atmosphere on the ride itself when you get to the top. The sound on the drop also sounds really awesome but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. It sounds a bit like metal from the structure shearing and the structure shaking from the impact but I can't really tell. It stops abruptly when the train hits the tunnel (don't like that so much) though so maybe the implication is that it comes from the train. Ah, I'm not even sure. :p

One thing I want to see more of are these "white women" the ride is based around. Maybe they'll be mentioned in the preshow?

Ethan

Strata Poster
I agree about the sudden stop at the end of the sound!

I believe the White Woman will definitely be mentioned in the video as in the last making of video, he says there is mist inside and outside the attraction. So if the outside is the tunnel's mist, I can only assume one of the pre-show rooms fills with mist suddenly to signal the presence of the ghosts?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
De Witte Wieven are Dutch Mythical creatures, spirits to be exact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witte_Wieven

My guess is that the sound is supposed to be related to the Witte Wieven. They protect the mine. I think the mist is supposed to portray them, while the tunnel itself is the mine. Especially when you compare it to their "singing" at 2:00 in the second video, it sounds slightly similar to the sound when you go down the drop. I do agree about the sudden end of the sound, I hope they tune that a bit better. This was one of the first tests with the sound effects.

Btw, that animatronic looks really impressive! Aside from the eyelids though..

EthC

Mega Poster
The final little details have been added to Baron over the past couple of days :)

20150623191759-72f12182-me.jpg

20150623191645-c60f17b2-me.jpg

20150623191841-602d67b6-me.jpg

20150623191825-2feb6442-me.jpg

20150623191727-42819ed1-me.jpg

Yay for single rider queue :D
20150623191723-a4cc9457-me.jpg

20150623191655-d50e9380-me.jpg

20150623191610-7ce707a3-me.jpg

20150623191519-c088f472-me.jpg

20150623191338-c3415664-me.jpg

20150623191550-7ecfdf77-me.jpg

New smaller fences have been installed to make it easier to see the building and the details themselves which is great :)

This coaster is sublime. I think I will be annoyed with myself if I dont make a trip down here this year :D

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Pink Panther said:
This is orgasmic. Does anyone know why the seatbelts are different in the middle two seats of each row?
I'm assuming they're big boy seats for larger riders as stated above. Newer B&Ms like Banshee, Thunderbird, GateKeeper, and Rougarou all have big boy seats in various locations on the train indicated by longer red belts. Herd Griffon has them but I was pre-enthusiast when I rode it so I don't remember.

This all looks so good, especially the locker complex! :--D Can't wait to see this thing open!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
So excited to ride this tuesday! The lockers will likely be free, but I'm not 100% sure about that. In any case, it's just an extra and you can leave your bags in the station too. Very excited to try out the new pizza & milkshake place too <3 I love how both the lockers and that place are underneath the tower of the big drop. It's so awesome.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Efteling | Baron 1898 | B&M Dive Coaster

Looks great! Can't wait to hear some reviews.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the complete background story.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMpAPmsql3s[/youtube]

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Just watched the full video. Love it so much <3 The acting is so cheesy but I just love the entire thing.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
There are quite a few videos of the pre-shows posted on Youtube, but I think this one is probably the best:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRQNMWribCI[/youtube]

However this one seems to be the only one that shows the English translation screen throughout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dU5d8vmC2s[/youtube]

ThomVD

Giga Poster
The last making-of video. It was a wonderful project to follow! I'm going to miss it a bit, but now there is another fantastic coaster close to me, so I'm all happy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF9RLQSuuyo[/youtube]

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Figured I may as well share my review of Baron - tried to keep it spoiler-free too (I was going to put it in a trip report, but that's going to take a while to write up and I wanted to share it before I forgot. Sorry if this isn't the right place!)...

Simply put, I loved Baron. Yes, it's not a very long ride. Yes, the layout is nothing special. Yes, the ride isn't that long. But I'm not so fussed with that sort of stuff. I look for a fun ride, with a good story and good theming. So the layout isn't so important to me.

I was a bit disappointed with the queue line though. Very away from the good bits, but I guess you can't have everything. I thought that the split for front row and rows 2 and 3 was a bit too soon as well - it says it's a 20 minute wait for front row from the split point, but it was longer last week (understandable, given staff were still getting used to the ride). Interesting that they give you a ticket to show your row before you enter the building, and take it away from you before you enter the station. Hopefully it will work in the long term for them..

The pre-shows are fab - even better that there's English translations for it too! Even after 5 rides last week, I kept finding loads of little details dotted around them which just made the whole story so believable and real. There's an animatronic of the Baron just before you enter the station which I adored and found quite life-like!

As for the ride itself, I liked the pre-lift section; very fitting for the overall experience. One thing which I loved most about the overall experience was the sound of the ringing bell at the top of the lift hill, and just before you drop. It's such a simple effect, but it just fits beautifully with the whole ride. I found the drop to be very floaty and fun on the way down, followed by a bit of force as you exit into the Immelmann. The Immelmann and zero-g roll had nice pops of airtime floatyness too actually. The helix had a bit of force too (especially at the back!) and even gives a pop of airtime as you leave. The airtime hill at the end caught me a bit off guard too - it gave a surprising amount of airtime for something at the end of the ride!

All in all, I just adored the experience. The ride is very "floaty" and fun, has a great story that flows throughout the entire area and has some wonderful bits of theming. I personally can't ask for any more in a coaster. Oh, I also just have to add in that the milkshake and pizza place underneath the lift hill is just amazing cool)

I know others won't have as much love for the ride as I do. It's probably been a bit overhyped too during construction, and some may be left a bit underwhelmed. But at the same time, I do think everyone will still be able to enjoy it for what it is and Efteling really are onto a winner with this!

joshuadrooney

Roller Poster
That's it then is it? 36 pages of hypocrisy and the end result is one review that calls this stupid, waste of space ride "average". Hahaha.

Does it burn to think about how right I was? Damn.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
joshuadrooney said:
That's it then is it? 36 pages of hypocrisy and the end result is one review that calls this stupid, waste of space ride "average". Hahaha.

Does it burn to think about how right I was? Damn.

Even if you are right - and I have no idea if you are, I've never ridden this ride - you still come across as a bratty and rude asshat, and for that alone people will be more inclined to disagree with you. Just a heads up.