What's new

Efteling | Baron 1898 | B&M Dive Coaster

ThomVD

Giga Poster
It might turn out well though. I trust that Efteling and B&M know what they are doing and all inversions turning the same way gets repetitive too. Aesthetically it looks wrong though, I agree with that!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
B&M usually rolls the opposite direction for whatever reason. It's noticeable on a few of their rides - Gatekeeper comes to mind - and this is no exception.

Poking around a bit real quick - I am not sure if this is just a coincidence or if B&M wills it. I can't find a trend with any particular coaster type either.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Some more photos:

144356_real.jpg

144254_real.jpg

144255_real.jpg

144305_real.jpg

144252_real.jpg

And the helix has more or less been finished:

144372_real.jpg

144373_real.jpg

144368_real.jpg

All photos are from: http://www.vijfzintuigen.nl/forum/136/24466.160

Hutch

Strata Poster
That's a pretty wacky looking helix. Hell, this entire coaster looks a bit unusual… I love it!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^ Oh really? Tell me about your experiences in the Netherlands? Last time I checked the country was in the top 5 happiest countries on the planet.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^Was there any need for that? He and I were both clearly talking about coasters and although I haven't been to the Netherlands, there seems to be only 2 that people actually rate (Joris en de Draak and Goliath).

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Don't forget about Troy. If we're going to judge coasters based on how they look, is there anything fantastic in England that lasts longer than 20 seconds? Aside from Nemesis then. Not to mention how much smaller NL is.

Sorry for the tone though, got a bit pissed :p.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^^ Honestly, how many coasters that people rate as good are there in the UK? Taking out of the equation the ones that people actually like due to their uniqueness rather than the actual ride quality (Ultimate, Big One, etc.), I guess it does only leave Nemesis as being 'your' sole World Class coaster...

elephant58

Hyper Poster
OK, if we're counting the 2 Dutch coasters, I mentioned as being widely considered as 'good', we can count Nemesis, Oblivion, Stealth, Swarm, NI, Megafobia and even the Smiler is considered good by quite a few people.

The coaster being built now isn't exactly long, either.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Again, it's 3 coasters that people rate highly. Not everybody ranks Joris as high as I do, so let's just say Troy and Goliath as world class (not to mention Baron). Still more than just Nemesis, because honestly those others don't seem to be anywhere near. If we're talking about good coasters we might as well mention Vliegende Hollander, Dwervelwind, Formule X, Thunderloop, Vogel Rok and Xpress as well. I'd rather ride all of those than the Smiler to be honest.

UK has this hype of building record breaking rides that gets in the way of them building excellent coasters. Honestly, they don't even have a proper airtime machine.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Again, people rate more than just Nemesis highly. Oblivion, Swarm, Stealth and Megafobia all seem to have exceedingly positive reviews. If we're talking about 'good' coasters in the UK, we could then go for G-Force, Shockwave, Rita, Sonic, Thirteen, Grand National and Big Dipper, which in my opinion, are not world class.

Also, I'm just going to ask, have you actually been on any of the coasters I've suggested as being 'world class'. I'm only asking because, a lot of people rate them very highly.....

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I haven't been on any UK coasters, just like you I'm basing it on what I've heard and how it looks. Sure, UK has more 'decent' and 'good' coasters. Not surprising, since they have more than ten times the amount of parks, and even more times the amount of coasters (don't quote me on that, wild guess :wink: ). The thing is that NL is very much quality over quantity when it comes to coasters. Let's grab the mitch hawker poll. Troy and Goliath are consistently in the top 20, often in the top 10 and have even been near the top 5. Nemesis is also in the top 10, but the rest? The steel coasters (Stealth, Swarm, Oblivion) aren't even in the top 100, and Megafobia is #34 (and I've heard many stories about it not being as good as it used to).

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^Ok, I understand your point and I think you've cracked it with 'quantity'. It's just that the UK has a lot more coasters than NL for a start and that I think the other 4 I named, are generally considered to be better than good, if that makes sense?

shawnoc

Mega Poster
The theming on this is second to none, efteling have surpassed them selves here. I love the elongated layout of this coaster as it look as it will give more of ride than the other dive machines of this size. I've only been on oblivion and shi kra, but this looks to use the best of both rides.
I'm hoping I can convince my wife to go to Holland this year to go to Efteling, I've been badgering here to go for a European holiday without a beach for years. This may just convince here.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
^^ Yeah, I'd love to ride them :p . I'm hopefully visiting England this year. It just bothered me a bit that you said that the UK has much more nice things than Netherlands, without you actually having a lot of knowledge or experience about the Dutch coasters. I think us Dutchies can be very proud of what the country has to offer, especially for our small size.

More importantly, Baron is one (or two?) track piece(s) away from being finished. Airtime hop is done. Some new photos from VijfZintuigen:

144393_real.jpg

144409_real.jpg

144431_real.jpg

144415_real.jpg

144413_real.jpg

I love the amount of detail.

KoasterEv

Roller Poster
Beautiful! I agree about the elongated layout. I wasn't really sold on it until seeing it built. Looks awesome.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
God some people get way too defensive...

There is no ride in the UK that looks as good as Baron... Doesn't matter about the ride side of this, no UK project in recent years has got the level of quality and detailing, and that's just the outside building...