What's new

Eastern Europe PTR - Parts 6+7: Transylvania + Sofia

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Eastern Europe PTR - Part 4: Chernobyl

Going to try and get this hammered out now. After Kiev, I had a 3am flight to Bucharest, via Athens, which got me to the hotel for around 9 or 10 in the morning. I just left bags there and went straight out for some cred whoring, getting a bus out to the first park, Terra Park.

Terra Park

In the right place then:

SAM_0938_zpsc7lklui4.jpg

F**k this place. I could see rides operating and hear the usual fairground music playing, but couldn’t get in. A security guard who was trying to explain something eventually called someone to come out and talk to me. Apparently, outside of the weekends, it’s only available for group visits of at least 3 people. So yeah, despite it actually being open, they weren’t interested in actually taking any extra money. F**kwits. There were only two crappy coasters in there anyway, but still.

SAM_0939_zpszd5gmppc.jpg

About a 5-minute walk away was a shopping mall with a cred, which was luckily open.

Zorky’s Planet

SAM_0941_zpsxtmtagsu.jpg

SAM_0943_zpsfauiudlt.jpg

SAM_0944_zpsvp4hgn3i.jpg

SAM_0949_zpsw80gqtfm.jpg

SAM_0945_zps1zxfhqr5.jpg

SAM_0947_zpslzhvuygb.jpg

SAM_0948_zpsvdqjdtp1.jpg

+1 and from there onto a tram to another park.

Orășelul Copiilor

Having an entire 3 coasters, this was the most major park of the whole trip. Too bad that they were crap.

SAM_0955_zpsqjxpv353.jpg

SAM_0954_zps0lwf3vpx.jpg

SAM_0957_zpspbnoeq8t.jpg

SAM_0958_zpscwiuts94.jpg

SAM_0959_zpsnvqfhrfe.jpg

SAM_0960_zpse0syujzl.jpg

SAM_0961_zpsz8tgbiuw.jpg

SAM_0963_zps9uwoqpzp.jpg

SAM_0965_zps9krqbxjo.jpg

SAM_0966_zps51lubmxd.jpg

SAM_0969_zpsihvzodvi.jpg

SAM_0970_zpsn5fb6dxh.jpg

SAM_0971_zpsdfaeed0z.jpg

SAM_0973_zpsksrxbzwa.jpg

SAM_0979_zpsyh93n1ri.jpg

It’s not just crappy Chinese parks that go in for blatant copyright infringement.

SAM_0980_zps12eyd9mx.jpg

SAM_0981_zpssddujeoo.jpg

SAM_0982_zpsq9h94bqu.jpg

SAM_0983_zpsdeyklxqs.jpg

SAM_0985_zpsizjsyhmo.jpg

After grabbing the +3 I headed back to the hotel to check in and had a wander around for a bit. While the city itself is pretty big and spread out, the hotel was right in the old town area, so everything worth seeing was basically right on the doorstep and I was pretty much done with it in an afternoon. It was nicer than I thought it would be though.

SAM_0990_zpsokcu02iy.jpg

SAM_0993_zpsi4zoynuu.jpg

SAM_0996_zpsllzzdeon.jpg

SAM_1000_zpsdskjfmmz.jpg

SAM_1002_zpsa40vj5a8.jpg

SAM_1006_zpsgibivv4i.jpg

SAM_1014_zpshgcukh8c.jpg

SAM_1015_zpsqywdxjej.jpg

SAM_1019_zpsdopvk7im.jpg

This was the hotel, which was cheap, fab and with a nice view over the square.

SAM_1023_zpstf8bmre6.jpg

SAM_1028_zps4dqia3pc.jpg

SAM_1029_zpsv7uqpngi.jpg

Other s**te:

SAM_1026_zpssv1tkjnl.jpg

SAM_1031_zpsarovrojt.jpg

SAM_1033_zps7fquxnub.jpg

SAM_1037_zpsucfuydbb.jpg

SAM_1038_zpssfm4ve5y.jpg

Having a full day free the next day, plus pretty much a full day the day after before having to head to the airport, I had time to kill. There were leaflets in the hotel room about a trip out to another city and a couple of castles in Transylvania, leaving from about a two-minute walk away, so I got myself booked on that for the next day.

I’m at work and just realizing that I haven’t uploaded any pictures of that bit yet, so I’ll shove those in later.

On the final day in Bucharest, before heading to the airport in mid-afternoon, I went out to some open-air museum place. On the way, I walked past Romania’s version of the Arc du Triomphe.

SAM_1149_zpsbvi9tpiu.jpg

Worth the effort then.

At the museum, they’ve basically relocated some old buildings from other areas of the country. It was alright, but didn’t constitute more than an hour. While they’ve gone to a lot of effort with it, it was a bit boring really.

SAM_1154_zps2c18i1ax.jpg

SAM_1160_zpscaqqf5d8.jpg

SAM_1171_zps35y1d5jn.jpg

SAM_1176_zps1nqw8wel.jpg

SAM_1182_zpsmj9jzop0.jpg

SAM_1185_zpsr0nsuax6.jpg

The best thing about the place is that they’ve hired Romanian Mario to do their maintenance.

SAM_1179_zpsisrfwwnp.jpg

I got the metro from there to go and have a look at the Palace of the Parliament, the world’s biggest parliament/public administrative building.

On the way, I took a picture of this because “zizi” is a French slang word with the same meaning as “minge”, or "pussy" if you will. I love being so cultured.

SAM_1187_zpsej6qclyn.jpg

The parliament then. You could go in on a tour, but I didn’t have the time or inclination to be honest. It was impressive though.

SAM_1191_zpsxrgbqeal.jpg

SAM_1192_zpsgkntvqoy.jpg

SAM_1194_zpsv6egjn7j.jpg

The road leading up to it had close to 2km of fountains all the way down it.

SAM_1205_zpsviipubwq.jpg

SAM_1207_zpspeyr8kk4.jpg

I walked back o the hotel from there, past this park which had no creds, but looked very nice regardless:

SAM_1209_zpst1vfui4y.jpg

I just picked up my bags and then a bus from here to the airport:

SAM_1210_zpsgghsmkt4.jpg

Took ages and had to stand the whole way. Should’ve got a taxi.

Bucharest. Meh. Was nothing wrong with the place, and I got four (out of a hoped-for six) creds, but I think by this point I was just starting to flag a bit and was a bit sick of the effort.

peep

CF Legend
Re: Eastern Europe PTR - Part 5: Bucharest

Just caught up with this report. Yet another excellent report. Some really interesting places in there. Look forward to seeing all your pics from Transylvania.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster

Interesting read as always Gavin...

Most impressed by the blue radiation-suits that they appeared to make you wear while touring Chernobyl :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Not sure if serious? Hoping not.

It was pissing down as we arrived and the "Supermarket" in Chernobyl didn't sell umbrellas - they didn't sell much of anything apart from booze from what I could see - so we settled for the glamorous ponchos.

Just to throw the Transylvania stuff in quickly, which was actually on the day before some of the stuff I posted in the last part, hen finish this thing off since I’m getting almost as bored writing it as most people are of looking at it.

Transylvania

I did this as a day trip with a tour company since I’d get more done in a single day than trying to do it via public transport. After a couple of hours on the mini bus, we got to the first place, Peles Castle, with some cute s**t in the grounds.

SAM_1071_zpsgid6zwh6.jpg

SAM_1072_zpsqqxosxgs.jpg

The castle was pretty impressive, though not particularly old. Apparently it’s the first castle in the world that was built with electric lights and other appliances.

SAM_1049_zpseuptvabf.jpg

SAM_1051_zpsxuh511mw.jpg

SAM_1057_zpstax3yfin.jpg

We had a tour of the inside, which was really impressive, but you couldn’t take photos unless you forked out a fiver extra for a photo pass. I sort of wish I had now, but we didn’t have a lot of time there, so I’m glad I didn’t look at it through a 2-inch screen.

SAM_1055_zpsllkjd3z4.jpg

SAM_1060_zpsfn3oc1u3.jpg

SAM_1062_zpslqa68qar.jpg

SAM_1056_zps5atgchwo.jpg

SAM_1065_zpsqcsvrabn.jpg

SAM_1068_zpsj7prjdjh.jpg

On the way to the next castle, we stopped off for lunch in Brasov. Luckily, we were just told to go for a wander, find food and be back in a couple of hours, which was perfect as I wasn’t in the mood for sitting around making small talk with Eurotrash/American tourists.

SAM_1074_zpscvhsm8a9.jpg

SAM_1077_zpsqxi2ifta.jpg

SAM_1079_zpsaiin4dnh.jpg

SAM_1081_zpsxcxyprz5.jpg

Everyone went off in search of some overpriced “local” (aimed at the tourists) delicacies, while I opted to see more of the town and grab a KFC. Don’t care.

SAM_1083_zps3cr8g4ub.jpg

SAM_1087_zpshtkqwcvv.jpg

SAM_1088_zpsll4zp6e8.jpg

SAM_1097_zpstgxrrxbu.jpg

SAM_1101_zpsfmohhm6z.jpg

SAM_1106_zpsaiuwubqa.jpg

SAM_1108_zpst9d8ezum.jpg

It was really nice and all very compact, so perfect for a couple of hours. Next up was the second castle of the day, Bran Castle.

SAM_1109_zpse3otmdwt.jpg

This has been nicknamed “Dracula’s Castle”, purely in an attempt to get tourists in since Dracula is clearly a fictional character, the place has no connection with Vlad the Impaler, who is thought to be the inspiration for the character, and Bram Stoker had no knowledge that this place even existed, so couldn’t have used it as inspiration. It looks the part though, with secret passages and s**t.

SAM_1113_zpsq3stbpe8.jpg

The tourist bollocks is obviously working as the place was f**king heaving, and the area around the bottom of the castle is now just one big tourist trap, with 3D cinemas and tat shops. Inside the castle wasn’t anywhere near as impressive as Peles – it’s a lot older with much smaller rooms – but the outside lends itself a lot better to the typical Transylvanian castle, hence the desperate grab to tie it in with Dracula.

SAM_1118_zpsjdvrvddn.jpg

SAM_1119_zpsv6c4tk2n.jpg

SAM_1133_zps2cmucwor.jpg

SAM_1120_zpsk6ajtua5.jpg

SAM_1125_zpsb1a275wg.jpg

SAM_1139_zpsie7ovaku.jpg

SAM_1142_zpsldayyolx.jpg

SAM_1146_zpsreojwnfu.jpg

From there, there was a 2-3 hour ride back to Bucharest. After Bucharest, it was a flight to the final stop on this trip, Sofia.

Sofia

I got to the hotel, which was very central and near a Metro station (Sofia Airport is on the Metro; a big plus for any airport since you don’t have to deal with buses or s**tc**t taxi drivers), around lunchtime. As usual, I went for a wander.

Again, it was much nicer than I was expecting, but with less to actually do than the other places I’d been.

SAM_1212_zpsgmxn3fys.jpg

SAM_1213_zps9eviwrak.jpg

SAM_1216_zpsj2wq0con.jpg

SAM_1222_zpsaz4lxgl8.jpg

SAM_1224_zpsgb6rbew2.jpg

SAM_1227_zpsa6fmswzo.jpg

SAM_1234_zpsuxwa6s8b.jpg

Old stuff:

SAM_1239_zpspi4qtwx8.jpg

SAM_1240_zps5kyd4p8g.jpg

Newer stuff:

SAM_1243_zpspoiivehv.jpg

SAM_1246_zpsc07o9bzj.jpg

Pretty stuff:

SAM_1247_zpsgzvelfry.jpg

SAM_1249_zpsg5c48uxa.jpg

SAM_1252_zpshts9d2lu.jpg

SAM_1256_zpsjdhhzayx.jpg

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was insane in the sure scale of it. It was really impressive inside as well, but full of total jobsworths running, literally running, around if they saw so much as a camera strap hanging out of a pocket.

SAM_1258_zpsa1npm3sr.jpg

SAM_1268_zpso2srpvxp.jpg

SAM_1285_zpsaevjodkf.jpg

Other stuff:

SAM_1261_zpsmtmoztf5.jpg

SAM_1274_zpssgw0b2q2.jpg

SAM_1280_zpsntcizn63.jpg

SAM_1282_zpsol99jqrj.jpg

SAM_1293_zpsuu6bjpa9.jpg

SAM_1297_zpsraapap1m.jpg

I’d forgotten to charge my camera battery, but decided to take a taxi out to a shopping mall a few miles out to grab a cred there since I knew that if I went back o the hotel to sort the battery, I likely wouldn’t be arsed to leave again, so there are no pictures of the place. Have a couple from RCDB:

2n6bgoc0g004p5v1esu002.jpg

ffocj04nef0015o0s08000.jpg

http://rcdb.com/12007.htm#

+1.

Since it was a Saturday, I went out that night for some drinks. All good if slightly weird. I had a full day the next day, but I spent it not leaving my hotel room, watching s**te TV and ordering room service. It was a good way to finish off a pretty exhausting trip really, even if it was a waste of a day.

The trip as a whole was excellent, though obviously not from a park/coaster point of view, with all the places being much nicer than I’d expected and with a pretty awesome day wandering around the Chernobyl area.

New Creds: +6
New Countries: +5
New Capitals: +5

jj23w

Hyper Poster
A very interesting report there Gavin. The abandoned Town looked very surreal and as have you have said has got the walking dead vibe. Transylvania looks interesting and seems to look like a tourist trap but the Castles and everything look amazing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Thanks for the comments. Don't worry, it'll be back to crappy Chinese Jungle Mouse coasters before you know it.

mouse

Giga Poster
Great report, particularly interesting to read a first hand account of visiting Chernobyl :).