What's new

Drop Ze Floor - NL2 Comp - Results Pg 4

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Re: Drop Ze Floor - NL2 Comp Downloads Pg 3

Sorry. What does "no scoring of other tracks mean?" is it like penalising the omission of a transfer track?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

It means that if you submit an entry, you must also judge the other tracks.

We had a couple of rounds last year where we had loads of entries, but only two or three people voted. We introduced a penalty if you had entered and didn't vote to discourage this.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

So the scores are tallied, and I feel I owe you guys an apology...

The bonus points were way too waited I feel. It brought third place to first, going against every vote. Is that the benefit of the bonus? Sure, but it feels a bit...odd to me. I've been transparent from the beginning I feel, and this is one where I feel I messed up, just like the wing rider contest.

5. Barnstormer Pink Panther 20 points
An interesting concept, but there were some serious banking issues and pumps. Next time utilize the strict roll, a big issue i had was after the first MCBR. It was a good concept, just needs some fine tuning for execution, good job!

4. Nighthawk- GuywithaStick 29.4 points
The improvement from last contest was astounding. Great job. There were a few transition issues, but I look forward to what is next from you!

3. Pete's Dragon Jay 34.8 points
This was a big surprise for me. In terms of issues? A few transitions, and the launch seemed to start too far up the tunnel, but the plaza area was done beautifully, and I loved the feel of the coaster. Great job!

2. Shockwave- Hixee 35.8 points
I loved the multi level drops and the feeling of constantly gaining speed. It was fast, well paced, and smooth. Great job.

1. Nightlock Tomahawk 36 points
Third place before the final rankings, and I honestly don't feel I deserved the win. I found Hixee entry much better than mine, as mine had some serious pacing issues at the end. It is what it is, and we will reassess the bonus points going forward. I've been transparent from the beginning I feel, and this is one where I feel I messed up, just like the wing rider contest.

Voting breakdown:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Ah don't worry about it Tom! We'll learn from this and head forwards.

Well done all! Was another good round. I look forward to seeing what you can do next, Tom and I have some good ideas (we think...)!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Thank you! I never normally get round to building supports and scenery so I ended up learning quite a lot. I was far too ambitious with the scale that there were too many places that weren't "right". I was really impressed by everyone's designs! Do people design the terrain before, during or after doing the track?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Unfortunately, it depends. :lol: And you'll probably find different people have different approaches.

For a coaster like this, I made the coaster first, then did the landscaping, then did the supports - which I find works best for me. I can get the track in with no distractions (while having some ideas about how I want the terrain to look), then edit the terrain around the coaster (making trenches and tunnel entrances/exits look nice), then I do the supports so I can get them right the first time (you'll find if you do supports before terrain that you'll mess all your supports up when the footers move), and finally I add the trees.

However some people prefer to give themselves a terrain to work with from the outset, with only minor tweaks as they go. I suppose this is more accurate to what happens during real coaster construction. As you'll find in a few future rounds, we're going to give you the terrain to start with, meaning you've got to work with what's already there.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Ayy! I didn't get last! Don't mind it Tom. Maybe reduce the points for next time?

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Sorry to double post, but I wanted to throw out my two cents in the terrain conversation.

I personally make the major terrain forms first, where the track will most likely be closest to. That way, i can shape the coaster around the terrain. After the coaster is done, I go back and make minor edits(i.e. if a tunnel is clipping too much, bring the terrain up a bit), and visual design(trees, shrubs, lights, 'path'). But like Hixee said, whatever suits you is best.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

The bonus points will be adjusted. They still need to be worth a point amount that justifies the extra effort, but it needs to work properly and not overthrow all votes.

In terms of terrain, I do a mix of pre build and post build editing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jay37415

Mega Poster

The results were interesting... One coaster was first in participant voting, another won the judges score and another won with bonuses. I'm now kicking myself that I had to go to work and couldn't finish the bridge or I would have won.

Can't wait till the next comp..