What's new

Dragon Mountain - is it really 186 feet tall?

lachlan

Mega Poster
RCDB lists Dragon Mountain at MarineLand as 186 feet tall, but I looked at Google Maps and it's built on a hill. None of the track looks high up.

If it is indeed 186 feet tall, that makes it the tallest (full-circuit) roller coaster in the world until Magnum opened at Cedar Point.

To anyone that has been on this coaster: is it that high off the ground? I think the park is lying, or maybe 186 feet is the change in elevation?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Oh wow. I know it's a cliché at this point, but this has to be the one coaster that looks the most like it was built in RCT3 to me. Long, straightway pieces, a sprawling layout at the edge of the park, helix spam, gratuitous tunnels, overly long trains, one-size stock elements, and even using the terrain to get around height restrictions. It really checks the entire list.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's also way bigger than I had always assumed it to be. All I really knew was bowtie and helix, didn't realise it was quite that huge!

lachlan

Mega Poster
Oh wow. I know it's a cliché at this point, but this has to be the one coaster that looks the most like it was built in RCT3 to me. Long, straightway pieces, a sprawling layout at the edge of the park, helix spam, gratuitous tunnels, overly long trains, one-size stock elements, and even using the terrain to get around height restrictions. It really checks the entire list.
Yep looks just like the coasters I would build. I need to get back into openRCT! Also my computer might be powerful enough to build the huge RCT3 parks that I tried to make 10 years ago.

It's so weird, as you said the video says 186 feet but it never really leaves the ground from what I can see.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
From what i remember the first drop is something like 70 or 80ft but the height change from the bottom of the lifthill to the top is 186ft.
its similar i guess to Wild Eagle at Dollywood which has a lift of but a drop of 135ft but a lift hill height change of 210ft.

The must amusing claim by the park for this ride is the " it is the world's largest non-stop roller coaster"
The words non stop seem to be important here as The Ultimate covers more ground but has a 2nd lift hill.

davidm

Strata Poster
Planning to go to play on that this June ; I'm secretly quite excited by the prospect as I think it has always looked rather fab (rubbish and fab that is)! </goon>

lachlan

Mega Poster
From what i remember the first drop is something like 70 or 80ft but the height change from the bottom of the lifthill to the top is 186ft.
its similar i guess to Wild Eagle at Dollywood which has a lift of but a drop of 135ft but a lift hill height change of 210ft.

The must amusing claim by the park for this ride is the " it is the world's largest non-stop roller coaster"
The words non stop seem to be important here as The Ultimate covers more ground but has a 2nd lift hill.
Even that title ought to go to Steel Dragon 2000. Although if your going by land area I have no idea which is larger.

That makes more sense

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I think in this sense they are talking about the footprint of the ride in acres.
As seen here it covers a huge area.
DragonMountain.jpg

Oddly this ride does share something with SD2K though.
They both use 2 lift chains which swap over halfway up the lift hill. I don't know of any other rides that do this (Although i must admit I have never looked into it in detail)

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Planning to go to play on that this June ; I'm secretly quite excited by the prospect as I think it has always looked rather fab (rubbish and fab that is)! </goon>
It's been like 5 years since I've been....but it was still stupid fun the last time I went and was oddly smooth, but one bad bang entering the last tunnel. (Also got a train to myself on it, once) the whole park is rather...odd.

Will

Strata Poster
It did remind me of the Ultimate with its random ground-level meanderings...
10422031_10153520291995864_8071286409286377426_n.jpg

And like the Ultimate, it's worth riding because it's a bit different from anything else, despite not being the greatest ride in the world. As everyone's said, Marineland is an odd park - with a hell of a lot of dead space and walking between attractions. I can't remember anything about height, though it did seem big compared to everything around, aside from the shot towers which were on the top of a rather steep hill.

Ben

CF Legend
It's such a weird, long, odd ride, but it is secretly quite fab.

The Ultimate isn't a bad comparison really - it's not as intense as that by a long way, but it's not far off it in total WTF stakes.

Hey @LiveForTheLaunch what do you think of it?

lachlan

Mega Poster
It did remind me of the Ultimate with its random ground-level meanderings...
10422031_10153520291995864_8071286409286377426_n.jpg

And like the Ultimate, it's worth riding because it's a bit different from anything else, despite not being the greatest ride in the world. As everyone's said, Marineland is an odd park - with a hell of a lot of dead space and walking between attractions. I can't remember anything about height, though it did seem big compared to everything around, aside from the shot towers which were on the top of a rather steep hill.
That photo makes it look just like the Ultimate. One of my favourite roller coasters!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Yes, I’ve been concerned about this. I mean, the man has just lost his life, and though he was a controversial figure, his death is sad.

However, I’m a selfish bastard and all I can think is “Oh no! I’ll be there in less than two weeks! Stay open at least until then!! Dragon don’t leave me!!” :eek: