What's new

Dorney Park's Hydra = The First Wing Rider?

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster
I was impressed by the "dropped plans" thread, and was originally going to post this in that thread, but I don't think this have ever been confirmed. It may just be a dumb theory, but I think it holds water.

Hydra: The Revenge at Dorney Park is one of B&M's strangest creations. It's a floorless looping coaster that does not follow any elements of previous floorless coasters, such as Medusa or Dominator. It lacks a block brake "kicker" at the top of the lift, and the elements are drawn out, causing the trains to go through them slowly. These are both aspects of B&M's Wing Rider coasters, introduced 6 years later.

But wait, there's more!

HydraJoJo.jpg

This unique element, an inline roll directly out of the station, seems quite similar to the roll over at the top of the lift on Wing Riders such as X-Flight. Before Wing Rider train designs required it, B&M sit down multi-looping coasters never experimented with new element styles and designs, generally sticking to a strict formula. Hydra was the only exception, and for what reason? The floorless trains were not like dive machine trains, they were no different from previous floorless trains.

In addition, take a look at this cobra roll:

hydra3.jpg

Why is it so strangely spaced at the top of the element compared to the bottom? I imagine the reasoning behind this is that if the ride was originally intended to be a Wing Rider, the wider trains would need more maneuvering space to execute the element properly. We have not seen a cobra roll on a Wing Rider yet, and if we do in the future I think it would have to be designed like Hydra's.

Finally, the giant flatspin, which can be seen in the picture above as well, was likely made that large to accomodate wider trains. Other floorless coasters have tighter flatspins, almost always interlocking, while Wing Riders like Wild Eagle and Gatekeeper have much larger ones like the one on Hydra.

So, what do you think? Agree? Disagree? An unfortunate missed opportunity for Dorney?

Ethan

Strata Poster
If it was designed to be a Wing Coaster, the heartland of the track would be different and as the trains are heavier, the layout would be different too.

I just think Hydra was B&M trying to push the boat out and evolve, just like they have done recently with the launched coaster/winged seating etc.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Interesting theory, but I think it's just so it can look unique.

Or maybe the Wingriders were intended to be Floorless coasters, and became Wingriders when they were fully developed? That certainly explains why Wild Eagle does not do anything a wing coaster is supposed to do...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I really can't go along with the theory either, but I like the topic as it's a bit out of the box compared to what's usually posted and I think that we can't actually say if Hydra's design was or wasn't an influence on today's wing coaster design. It also makes me wonder if there are any other older coasters that might have similarities to newer ones of a different model or manufacturer. It would be great to see more of these kind of posts to get us thinking and discussing more about different coaster aspects and influences.

Lofty

CF Legend
That theory is ****. The profiling is completely wrong for a wing coaster, not to mention the heartlining.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Thank you for that uplifting insight Lofty. :lol:

To provide some further context to Hydra:

- The JoJo Roll is indeed a heartline in shape, and was conceived by Dorney Park themselves. The namesake "JoJo" honors one of the administration's kids.

- To the best of my knowledge, Hydra was the first B&M to not have a pre-drop after the lift hill.

- I was the first CFer to ride it. :wink:

Hydra really is a weird bird. It just scratches the 100 ft. mark, yet achieves 7 inversions and a 3,200 ft. layout. Talk about being optimistic with a layout!

As for if it was meant to be a Wing Coaster: probably not. Cedar Fair's Senior VP of Planning and Design, Rob Decker, shared with CoasterForce that Cedar Fair was first approached about a Wing Coaster later on when planning for Gatekeeper. (Jump to 0:45 for Rob's comments)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimGo74uKCA[/youtube]

Since B&M's inversion design is what makes their roller coasters so great however, there is absolutely carry over from one project to the next in what makes for good layout flow and inversion design. Indeed, Hydra sports similar drawn out inversions to Wing Coasters.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Lofty said:
That theory is ****. The profiling is completely wrong for a wing coaster, not to mention the heartlining.
Completely agree. Not to mention that Hydra came 6 years before B&M's first wing coaster, 2 before the first ever.