What's new

Dollywood announce Lightning Rod's launch to be replaced with chain lift

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I have my doubts but if they fix it being ‘Slug Rod’ as so many people have reported in recent times then it’ll be for the best. It’s an absolute beast of a ride when it runs well and you get pushed out of your seat at the top.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
WOW! Kind of a surprising announcement but also entirely expected at the same time. 13mph over the crest is great to hear. My guess is that's the target speed for the crest with the launch, and now it will hit that reliably and leave the rest of the ride unchanged. Big move!

Very interested to see the "new trains" and if any new themed lead/trunk pieces get re-added.

Just yesterday put a comment on a thread saying Lrod is my #1 over Gwazi because of the launch...lol...Great for uptime, but the most unique and iconic part of the ride being gone seems kind of strange to me. Watching trains fly up that massive hill with that slight groan sound of the LSM's was awesome. My question is...is it a new credit? Even though the speed won't change over the op really. I only experienced "slug rod" with the slow launch the last two years. At least the layout is remaining the same.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
So glad I got on this just before the change!

When I was there I said I couldn't understand why they didn't replace it with a normal lift, the launch barely carried any extra speed over the top and while we were there it rolled back repeatedly.
I don't think it'll make a huge amount of difference to the ride, other than losing some novelty.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Lightning Rod: The world’s first and only launched wooden coaster!
Better than Son of Beast, world's tallest, fastest, only inverting wooden coaster.

Those of you who know me know I've been spited multiple times over by Lightning Rod - three times to be exact. Color me: "whatever gets the damn thing to work.", especially 7 years later with still significant downtime for the coaster.

This all puts TT2 in an interesting light as well for significant ride modification; I am grateful Lightning Rod will at least be able to keep the same entry speed level for the top of the lift!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, but then it pretty much stops at the top, rendering it pretty pointless. I'm glad I got to try the launch earlier this year, even in its neutered, pointless form, but they're doing the right thing by getting rid of the ride's most problematic element.

Last edited:

SimonProD

Mega Poster
So? Will it likely be chain or cable? Intamin coasters put up some speed using cable lifts but dunno if there are any differences in puliing a steel or wooden coaster train....

bratcurry

Mega Poster
I welcome this change. The launch is problematic and doesn't have any marketing value any more so getting rid of it and replacing it with a more reliable but comparable speedy lift hill is a good thing in my book. I'm glad I got to experience the launch though in May 😂

Trax

Hyper Poster
Did anyone realise that they also announced new trains as well?
Really a shame to see the launch go, I am finally doing my US trip in 2024 and will have to skip TTD (also not TT2) and Lightning Rod as well.
Albeit that LRs launch was neutered a long time ago and the lift will „nearly“ be the same speed. I was hoping for a Tornado (Bakken) like Lift😂

Appreciate that the park is so open about the issues. I do wonder though, the new RMC trains are supposed to be heavier than the old ones; will this make a difference? With the current trains on LR having magnets underneath, will this even matter? Will be interesting to see and experience.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So? Will it likely be chain or cable? Intamin coasters put up some speed using cable lifts but dunno if there are any differences in puliing a steel or wooden coaster train....
It'll be cable-lift-speeds at least; Millennium Force's cable goes at 15 mph for instance. So definitely won't be a case of "chugging" up the lift hill, gratefully.