What's new

Does a name really matter?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Awwww... Joey - what a fantastic post :)

I have nothing to add, I just really enjoyed it (no, I'm not being sarcastic) :lol:

tks

Strata Poster
I'm still waiting for the 'Miley Cyrus Ultimate Experience Concert in 3D: The Ride' to crop up at a park somewhere. Now THATS a name. :D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Absolutely.

An ideal name captures the ride's essence. As Marcus mentioned, layouts may be similar but it is the names that sets rides apart. Names are never a deal breaker, but they go further than you'd think.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Yes - a name DOES matter - can anyone imagine:

nemmyentrance.jpg

fretboardpyro

Mega Poster
caffeine_demon said:
Yes - a name DOES matter - can anyone imagine:

nemmyentrance.jpg

Is this the ride formerly known as "Fluffy bunnykins ride of teapot joy" at the the "Jethro's shed place of mediocre fun resort"?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Massively, a name creates an image and in some cases, meaning and a persona. Names have the ability to give people an impression before they even see it. You know when you hear a name like Nemesis it won't be a kiddie coaster.

A good name can finish off the theme and story of a ride, and give it purpose, and is massive for marketing. By using an uncommon word, like Oblivion or Nemesis, you put the word into the public eye and forever associate the word with the ride. Alternatively, you can use a common word, like air, and give a new meaning to the word. It also spreads word of the coaster because it is a word used all the time. As before it associates the word with the ride and links the two together.

Pepsi Max Big One may sound bad, but PMBO is fantastic advertisement for Pepsi, and Big One describes the ride and is quirky and unusual. Anyone, even people with no experience of the ride, hear "Big One" and think of the ride. So although the name is not good on the surface, it actually is very good.

Rita: Queen Of Speed is too original. It works in theory, the word "Rita" is now asociated with the ride, and Queen of Speed gives meaning to the first part of the name and describes the coaster, but it is a wierd name and needs to be described in it's own name. Oblivion, for example, gives an image of darkness and danger. Rita gives an image of old people. A good name does not need to be described in a sub-name. That said, it does not affect the ride in anyway, when you ride it, you don't think about the name. It does however affect the experience because it does not create an atmosphere like a good name can produce. Words like "Nemesis" intimidate people with visions of power. Rita intimidates you with visions of having to do crosswords.

Conversely, if Nemesis was named "The fluffy bunny ride" it would not work at all. It would not create the image the park wants and does not fit with the theme or idea. Even an unthemed ride needs a good name. Calling any thrill ride "The fluffy bunny ride just would not work. Words like "Scream!" and "Nitro" describe the ride and give an impression of what to expect.

Also, a good name does not need you to know the meaning, look at Shiekra or Kumba, you don't have to know they are African words to know the ride will be big and intmidating.

I know I've gone on a bit here, and I could go on for longer, but I've got most of my opinion out, and most of what I have said has been covered already, as has probably what I have left, so I'll leav eit at this for now.

PS That picture is great!

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
Yes it does matter.
I don't like most of the new names that Cedar Fair gave the old Paramount parks. (This is an old topic so I'll drop it here.)
I think that SF should have thought of a better name than Bizarro. By the way, you shouldn't change the name of the "#1 Coaster in the World".
I like Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit but the name is too long and hard to remember.
I like the themeing of the two Intimidator's but they should have completely different names considering they are kind of close together and will open at almost the same time. I think that this will confuse the general public.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^To be fair, when the original name is "Superman: Ride of Steel", you can change it to whatever the hell you want, and it still won't be much worse.

And yes, a name does matter. It doesn't give the ride "soul", so to say, but it's the glue that holds the soul together.

A

Anonymous

It obiously matters because if you called them all rollercoasters, then people will get confused, also it adds the scare factor, like saw you think of the gory film then you think saw the ride, which sounds gory. So I think it does matter.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
It matters and it doesn't matter. S:RoS will always be a fantastic ride, even if I don't like that they call it Bizarro now. I hate the image the ride has, but you can't disagree with the airtime and the forces it delivers (or the nice view of the CT river :D).

I guess what I am trying to say is that a bad named will not make a good coaster bad, it will just hurt the themeing of the ride. Like if Batman was called Care Bears and Magic Fluffy Rainbows and they painted the station pink.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
In my opnion, the name matters a great deal to the park that promotes the ride. One of the strongest and most powerful advertisement is 'word of mouth'. If your freind was to say that they've been to Bunny-land and rode the Bunny coaster, your first judgements on the ride would be something far from an intense B&M hyper.
The name, to someone who doesn't know the coaster, is the first bit of information they get on the ride, and so they will make an image in their head of this coaster with what the name means to them. So, I think the name matters concerning marketing reasons...

Colossus

Giga Poster
i dont think it really matters too much, all it does is give you a first impression of the ride, you could say the same about the colour of the track, or the designs on the trains, sure there are crappy boring names out there but that by no means effects the ride experiance after all there are rides out there with good names that are crap rides

CMonster

Giga Poster
I forget if I've posted in here or not, but oh well...

I feel that while a name does matter for guests' first impressions, marketing, and theming, it ultimately won't change the ride. The forces will be the same, the speed will be the same, ect. However, imo, in many cases the experience can greatly change a ride, and the name really helps the experience.

alexAVFC96

Roller Poster
i think that rides do need a name because by the name you can tell all about a ride for example stealth at thorpe park you can tell all about it by the name like stealth means fast and stealth is a fast ride or oblivion (alton towers) you can tell that you could fall into oblivion.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
^Definition of "Stealth"-avoiding detection by moving carefully

Anyway, I think that after a while you start to associate the ride with it's name and it stops mattering. Like if you meet someone with a name you don't like, after a while you tend to just associate the name with that person, and you like/dislike it depending on if you like or dislike the person.

andrus

Giga Poster
I assume it's been said before, but: a good name can help increase the atmosphere and ultimately enhance the ride experience.