What's new

Does a name really matter?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A couple of people have moaned about the name of Alton's new coaster - Thi3teen (presumably pronounced "Thigh-three-teen" ?).

My question to you is does it matter?

Some names, such as "Roller Coaster" are boring, yet it adequately sums up the ride. And yes, we couldn't call every coaster in the world that otherwise it would create choas.

Personally I don't really think much of the name once I've actually been on the ride. The experience is more important to me than the name. Similar to sex, you could shag a bird called Rose (a name I find sexy) but she could be awful in bed. The name doesn't matter to me at all.

Do you think a ride's name should reflect the ride, it's experince and mystique, or is it simply a point of reference?

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
It's an interesting point, Ian.

I agree that some names are boring and plain, but I think names have to be exciting, intimidating and give the ride a nice rubber stamp.

For example, a pussy little kiddies ride wouldn't be called 'Killer Coaster' or something similar, as it would be inappropriate, and most certainly doesn't sum up the ride.

However, it would be more suited to a thrill ride. But calling a thrill ride 'Sparkly' doesn't give it the intimidation factor.

So I think the name should reflect the nature of the ride, but also give it point of reference.

Ollie

CF Legend
I reckon the name should be good as it'll always be used to describe the ride. When someone says Oblivion! then your mind instantly knows what people are talking about rather than it being a crap name and then being described as 'that coaster that goes underground'.
Names like Rita are ****. They should give a strong link with the ride and sound right when looking at the actual coaster.

I wasn't overly keen as I first thought it was going to be called 13 (with the numbers) but th13teen is alright I guess and the logo is pretty cool. We'll still have to wait to see how it ties in with the ride though as Demon seemed to fit better because of all those wraiths walking about the park and the whole theme of unearthing an ancient crypt.
So names are pretty darn important and alot of thought should be put into them as they are an important part of the ride and what people are calling them all the time.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I do think the name is slightly important. It sets up part of the image of the ride and it needs to be suitable.

However I can see your point. I agree that it's the experience that matters more than the name, and your sex analogy was a good, and funny, example. This begins to step into the realms of advertising. The name of a new product is important, even though it's the actual object that consumers buy.

I'm going to sit slightly on the fence with this one. Whilst I do think name is important as it gives the ride a feel and identity I do agree that it doesn't matter all that much.

marc

CF Legend
I dont think the name matters, but a bad name does.

Its strange really that it works that way.

marc

CF Legend
Rita is a bad name and I think it does effect what people think of the coaster.

Or some people would say bad name bad coaster, I dont mind the coaster just to note.

Snoo

The Legend
Yes and no.

Everyone has brought up valid points.. as it is mostly a marketing tool and doesn't affect the ride experience in any way, but a horrible name (in enthusiasts eyes at least) can make a ride experience less fun.. maybe.

Of course, there are always awesome names on horrible coasters.

Kebab

Giga Poster
It just trademarks the ride so that people recognise it. It is VERY important in my eyes.

Think Nemesis, if it was called Rollercoaster, people wouldn't recognise it in the same way, especially through media.

A

Anonymous

I think the names matter for a coaster. It gives a ride a identity like a person. Cedar Fair for example has such boring names like Flight Deck, Time Warp, & Vortex that don't make any sense for the ride. The name makes the theme better for a ride. For example El Toro is a Spanish name which leads to a Spanish theme & Superman: Ultimate flight is a comic book hero name which leads to that theme. I think when it comes to a theme park the name is almost as important as the ride it self.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Names are certainly down the bottom of the experience ladder on rides, but they can affect some greatly...

Names of rides need to be taken into the context of the theme in order for them to make such an impact, and help people set the scene quickly for what they are about to experience, be it dark ride, coaster or flat...

Names can give a small insight to the ride in some cases, and definitely do represent kind of the cherry on top of the theming cake... Imagine Nemesis or Oblivion having a completely different name that didn't reference to the atmosphere being created from the rest of it... It wouldn't work...

Does Thirteen work? It certainly will be playing to the basic connotations linked with it, indeed, I see that 'push your luck' was mentioned on the Towers website... And that will be played on a lot to get people into it...

Bad names (Like Thirteen's neighbour Rita) exist, and these can be just because they are generally bad or involve product placement (Playstation - The Ride for example... Urgh), but it some cases even a bad name doesn't affect the ride... As many bad names occur at amusement parks, which aren't looking for a theme to aim at, and just aim for a small atmosphere per ride...

Overall, names are used to set the scene for the ride, and entice the people on or generally confuse them...

Does it affect what I think of the ride... Not at all, that's really pedantic, I think Rita is crap because it's bloody painful...

Even X:/No Way Out is a good name for the ride it is...

kimahri

CF Legend
regardless of if it's a good or bad name I think it's important. helps you recognise the ride.

As people said, Stuff like Oblivion, Nemesis and Rita... They all stand out and you instantly recognise it. Then there is Corkscrew...

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
There's lots of factors that affect this answer. If I was asked to answer on the spot, I would say no, not really. But, if you look at the ride, the name should reflect it in some way. For example, Behemoth is a massive ride, so the name is great. Maverick is such a unique coaster, so the name fits there too. Another example could be Steel Dragon 2000 and Millennium Force. Both of them were built in 2000, and the names reflect that. One more reason I can think up is Geography. Both of the Intimidators are being built in the South, where Nascar is pretty popular. If those rides were built in California, Colorado, or other states across the country or further north, they most likely wouldn't be named Intimidator*. Then there are some rides where their names are a bit out of place. Personally, I think Piraten would work better as a name if the ride interacted with water, whether it went over water or had a water splash, etc.

So yes, it does matter somewhat, but no, it isn't important enough to make or break a ride.

*as in after Dale Earnhardt. The name could still probably be used without the Nascar theme.

Ben

CF Legend
Ian said:
Rose (a name I find sexy)

For reasons that don't in anyway relate to Titanic I'm SURE :wink:

I do think name matters. OK, the ride can still kick arse, but, it's all part of it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Names can tie into themes quite nicely & I hated Fluch von Novgorod until I was there to get the story the coaster revolves around. Then there are names that bring an image to mind that suits a certain coaster, even if it has no theme. If it's a meh coaster, then I could care less about the name. If it's a great coaster however, then it should have a name that reflects it's 'greatness'.
Personally, I also love nicknames given to some coasters like Alpie, Nessy, Dommy, Mavvy, Dash or even the Wild Bull. :)

The name isn't the deciding factor in whether I like the ride or not, in fact, it doesn't even play a part, but when the park themes their ride and makes an effort to be a little creative, it's better than just naming something "roller coaster"!

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
In short, yes, a name does matter. In long, no, it doesn't.

It sets an image for the ride. If I hear a 'bad' name (such as Stealth, Rita, Thi3teen maybe) I think oh, that's a bit crap. But it doesn't make me think the ride will be. Obviously, we're all far too intelectual to think like that.

However, good names just feed the enthusiasm towards the coaster. They can thrive the hype. For example, a name like Nemesis, or Black Mamba. Following construction of a coaster that you think looks good, then it being named Black Mamba makes you go "pwhooooaaarrr". If we had the same coaster then the name Snake was announced I'd be like "oh, that's a bit wierd, but the coaster still looks awesome".

I think that's pretty much been summed up in the thread anyway. I don't think it enhances or changes the ride experience, but it alters the ride image tremendously, and can affect the "subconscience cool wall". A name can make something much cooler or laughable. But, again, it doesn't really affect the ride.

Kraken. Cool name, bad coaster.
Scream! Bad name, good coaster.
SheiKra. Good name, good coaster.
Shockwave. Bad name, bad coaster.

Just evidence that it can happen!

Error

Strata Poster
A name is pretty much like a title for a piece of art: it really doesn't matter terribly much.

Plan and simple answer.

Dave

CF Legend
They don't matter. The only people who do seem to think it matters is enthusiasts really....

The general public may think its a rubbish name on occasions but they are the main customers, Saw the Ride may be crap to us but to the GP thats a hook.

Stealth is still a great name.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^Everybody thought Rita was a bad name though. Not to generalise the entire planet, but much of the GP did.

As a result, loads of people were like "Why is this called Rita? That's a bit stupid". Surely then it's them thinking the name matters?

But, to support what you've said, the GP tend to overlook names with sponsers in them. Again, not to generalise the entire nation, but people reffering to PMBO as "The Pepsi Max" or the classic "Playstation Ride" aren't considered bad coaster/ride names at all. It's just accepted. Yet Rita did. Surely that name should be praised for not jumping on the marketing bandwagon that PBB created so well?

I also hear a few things about Air being a stupid name. But yes, we look into everything too much. Not as bad as some though :wink: