What's new

Does a British Gallopers/Carousels Online Database Exist?

Re: Does a British Gallopers/Carousels Online Database Exist

^It's also possible they may have used a hodgepodge of different-looking fibreglass horses from different molds, as well. Looking more closely at the Butlin's gallopers, I fear that the animal figures on all three may actually be 100% fibreglass (I'm still waiting on a reply from them to confirm this). It would not be surprising. Out of the 28 British gallopers on my little list, I estimate only 12 of them have at least some animal figures that are wood. BTW, only four of those legit gallopers are at places that also include roller coasters: Blackpool Pleasure Beach (the Derby Racer only), Drayton Manor, Devon's Crealy, and Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach. So, that basically means that the only place in Britain that has a respectable collection of big roller coasters and also a proper English-style wooden gallopers set is Drayton Manor.

Also, no, I have not explored other types of flat rides. At the moment, I am concerned with roller coasters (globally), steam railways (Anglopshere only), carousels/gallopers (Anglosphere only), and a tiny bit with giant ferris wheels 40 meters tall or more (globally). These types of rides tend to be more high-profile, advert-worthy attractions and as a result seem to be the easiest to acquire data about them.

Re: Does a British Gallopers/Carousels Online Database Exist

I received feedback from several of the folks on the list, and I feel I have enough information to go forward and upload the 12 legit British gallopers to my Classic Carousel Rankings spreadsheet, which already has 332 US/Canadian entries (I have also just uploaded 9 legit carousels from Australia). The results are posted below. Overall, the designs for British gallopers are very consistent from year to year and from builder to builder, so there is not a lot of variation in their scores. When compared with all of the others from other countries, some of the British gallopers broke the Top 50. This spreadsheet now encompasses a summary of all of the legit classic carousels across the whole Anglosphere. Ireland and New Zealand are not present, but they don't appear to have any classic carousels in fixed locations, or at least zero mention of them on the Internet.

Attachments

• British Gallopers Final.png
    British Gallopers Final.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 15