Do you like it rough?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (No, but so you can't say no)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Martyn B

CF Legend
Because the Ultimate beats you up SO much, its fun! If it wasn't rough, them turns would just be a bit dull to be honest.

I also think its to do with who the Ultimate was built by. I guarantee you, if the Ultimate was a Vekoma, it would be hated for its roughness, by alot of people

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah. The Ultimate hurts you in the process of going very quickly through some very extreme elements.

It's the fun Vs Pain thing. Vekomas when they rough hurt doing the most basic things. If the roughness wasn't there, the ride would very dull (this is just the generalisation thing of course).

Some rides are still fantastic, even though they're beating the crap out of you. It's all about how extreme things are. WildMouse at Blackpool is a great example. The ride is madness, it's sheer thrill because you always fear for your life. Yuo don't mind getting beaten up because you feel lucky to still be alive. It's that overall thrill/fear/fun factor. If a ride is thrilling and fun but beats you up, you don't mind the pain.

marc

CF Legend
I did not find the Ultimate that rough tbh, I was expecting a lot worse after what I had heard.

Yes it does throw you around a lot, but it does not cause me back pain or give me a head ache.

I did not even like the coaster tbh totally over rated, maybe it will be running better on my next visit so I can find out what the big deal is.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ the close to the front you are the worse it is. Front car really does my back in and stops me enjoying it. I always look to get 2 thirds of the way down the train where the Pain:Fun ratio balances out.

marc

CF Legend
I was close to the front, but tbh after riding coasters like Ghostrider and Space Mountain DLP this was simply not rough to me.

As I said its not smooth so dont think I am saying that, but for me it throws you round more than being rough.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Meh, I don't mind rides being rough but I think the only ride I really hated was Stampida with the new trains as that was just not fun at all so don't even get me started on that. :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
The Ultimate hurts you in the process of going very quickly through some very extreme elements

Ok, but surely the ridiculous transitions in the track are to blaim for alot of the pain?

I was close to the front, but tbh after riding coasters like Ghostrider and Space Mountain DLP this was simply not rough to me.

Wow, wow, wow. You're kidding right? Space Mountain has a few rough spots, yet the Ultimate has world wide recognition for the being the roughest, most extreme coaster in exsistance.

You need a front seat ride on the Ultimate my friend! There's nothing in this world that comes even close to that experience. Oh and a coaster doesn't need to be painfull for it to be rough.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
As a lot of people have said - just being rough (even ludicrously rough), doesn't mean I'll hate it - Stampida for instance - wasc one of the shakiest coasters ever, but it did give me that "I wanna go again" feeling! wheras Space mountain - I found just awful.

A

Anonymous

yeahhhhh haha
pepsi max big one at bpb, best place to sit is the very back its rough as hell but it makes the ride experience alot better i love it ha ha! :--D

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Roughness gives a ride character, but I have never ridden a coaster that I have really found rough or painfull, apart from the two Vekoma Corkscrews I have ridden, which were very rough and painfull. PMBO was a little rough in parts, but not badly rough or painfull.

BPB Wild Mouse is said to be rough, but I thought it was very smooth, I think people just confuse roughness with jerkiness and wildness.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
No, I do not like rides rough. Rides like Ghostrider and Voyage could be a lot better if they were smoother. GCI/Millennium Flyers are the way to go for a wooden coaster imo.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ Yeah, I can imagine Ghostrider being AMAZING if it wasn't so rough, it has some awsome drops, hills and pacing, but the roughness just ruins the ride. A lot of people I spoke to on west coast from California said it was one of their best woodies when it first opened, before it got rough.

Dunno about Voyage... but maybe next year!

marc

CF Legend
^Yep I heard that Ghostrider was great when it opened, Martyn said we would like it how wrong. I agree that the 1st drop is good and that was about it, I could not wait for it to end.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, Ghostrider, underneath the absolute death, you could tell used to be a seriously great coaster, I was getting a LOT of airtime. It was just far, far too rough to really enjoy though... I still preferred it to, say, a coaster that's rough and that's it.

marc

CF Legend
Tbh I really do not remember any airtime, I just remember the pain thats the problem :(

We rode it 1st thing though at the back and then again later on in the front.

The 1st go I just found rough, but the 2nd go left me with a head ache :(

Casio

Mega Poster
Properly rough rides are just not enjoyable at all. I never used to like Corkscrew at Alton, and Gwazi is just horrible.

But generally I don't mind them, I really really enjoy colossus and I can't see how people have problems with Rita or the intamin shoulder restraints in general.

Obviously the 'never touch your harness' of something like Kraken is much better than roughness, but there's no real problem with most rides. Except Gwazi.