What's new

Do you care what people think about you?

Do you care what people htink about you?

• Yes-Totally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

• In the middle with yes and no

• Not really

• Very Rarely

• Never

• Total voters

JonSev

Roller Poster
Exactly. When people ask me why I care so much about how I look and dress, I say its because the first thing people judge you on is on how you look. I dont want them to look at me and think that Im the best person on the earth or anything. I just want to come across as some person thats not a peice of trash.

I hate being looked at as something I dont want to be seen as. So I listen to what people say and htink if Im going to do anything about it.

Homer

Hyper Poster
Yes... majorly...

I'm one of those people who would likely rule with an iron fist. I flip out whenever a person doesn't like me.

Yes, this post also proves I really want to take over the world.

kir

Hyper Poster
Not really, no. My friends like me that's why I call them "friends", so there's no need for me to worry about what anyone outside that circle thinks.

JonSev

Roller Poster
Homer said:
Yes... majorly...

I'm one of those people who would likely rule with an iron fist. I flip out whenever a person doesn't like me.

Yes, this post also proves I really want to take over the world.

Or that youre American. As a culture...we're very self concious. (Not that EVERYONE is...but a lot of people are)

A

Anonymous

I really have to say this, what a loaded question. What do you expect people to say here? ' I really care about what others think of me! I just am so shallow and I rely on everyones opinion of me to feel good about myself!' Obviously people are not going to admit something like that, since nowadays most realize that caring about what others think isnt very smart, and its considered kind of stupid if you really care about what others think of you. And yet, most of us here that say we could give a rats ass about others opinions are just lying to others, and more importantly, ourselves, especially us teenagers, although, it seems like the older you get, the less you care. Its instinctive to want to be accepted by others, and ironically, by saying we dont care about what others think of us, we are trying to almost fit in with everyone else here, because if we say we truely care about what others think, then everyone will think to themselves 'wow, how shallow', and we all obviously dont want that, now do we? Anyone who gets stage fright when doing something in front of a large crowd isnt scared just because they feel like it, they are scared that they will make a fool out of themselves in front of so many people. I have this, and I bet other people here do too. And even if this doesnt apply to you, and you truely dont give a crap about anyone else around you, you still have had to care about what others thought of you in the past. What about your bosses or teachers? If you tell them to shove it, they dont think very well of you, do they? You dont want them to do anything to you, so you treat them well and try to stay on their good side. I realize that this is more respecting someone with power, but it still relates to the topic.

That said, I do admit that I try my best not to care what others think, but sometimes it just is unavoidable. I dress how I want to dress, I listen to the music I like, I do what I like, but when someone treats you like **** because of who you are, it doesnt feel good. People just assume im some dumbass pothead that doesnt know anything, thats how I come across to people. Im not going to change myself to get them to stop assuming that, because I like who I am, but when someone assumes something of you blindly without ever even getting to know you, it just feels like crap. Most of the time, I get past this very quickly, but the simple fact that it still happens is my point. No one wants to care what others think of them, I know I dont, and thats probably why I hate social situations with lots of people I dont know. I dont want to care what they think of me, but its kind of hard not to.

AeRo

Hyper Poster
brainwash said:
What about your bosses or teachers? If you tell them to shove it, they dont think very well of you, do they?

There are ways and means of challenging opinion. I do it quite often, and always justify the stance I am taking. If my boss disagrees, he is the boss and is paid to make the decisions, just as I am paid to carry them out.

brainwash said:
doing something in front of a large crowd isnt scared just because they feel like it, they are scared that they will make a fool out of themselves in front of so many people

I think that is more about letting yourself down by not performing as you should more than worrying what others will think. It is often the case where you know that you have been aweful, yet people still come up to you later and tell you how wonderful you were...how false! Having said that I have said that to people I care about too....hypocritical me! :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I honestly could care less what people think of me, that is unless it is a girl that I'm trying to hook up with.

Ah, well, I can say I don't care about what people think about me, because I don't care. If they don't like me for me, too bad, they can piss off, although it does get me mad when people say lies and stuff. I guess I can say rarely because sometimes it hurts to have people say stuff about you but it wont affect my life. I just hate it when people make fun of the way I look. :cry:

joe

Mega Poster
I really do care what people think of me. If someone thinks bad things about the way I act ect. I try to change that. Also I hate people talking about me behind my back, I cant stand it.

kir

Hyper Poster
brainwash said:
What about your bosses or teachers? If you tell them to shove it, they dont think very well of you, do they?
Well you would only tell your boss or teacher to shove it if you didn't agree with something they did/said, or if you don't like them. And if you don't like them then you don't care what they think about you. Well, at least that's how my cookie crumbles.

brainwash said:
but when someone assumes something of you blindly without ever even getting to know you
I think you yourself are assuming when you say that the people on here who say they don't care what people think about them are lying.

A

Anonymous

AeRo said:
There are ways and means of challenging opinion. I do it quite often, and always justify the stance I am taking. If my boss disagrees, he is the boss and is paid to make the decisions, just as I am paid to carry them out.

Of course, but you arent going to tell them to go **** themselves, now are you? You polietly say that you think doing something else is a better idea, and then you give your reasons why. I would think teachers, bosses, and other people in power positions would actually appreciate that, since you are trying to help them come up with the best decision. That is, unless they are total power mongers, and fire you on the spot for stating your opinion, but who would want to work for such a prick in the first place?

AeRo said:
I think that is more about letting yourself down by not performing as you should more than worrying what others will think. It is often the case where you know that you have been aweful, yet people still come up to you later and tell you how wonderful you were...how false! Having said that I have said that to people I care about too....hypocritical me! :p

Ah, yes, but the majority of stage fright people have isnt letting yourself down, but being afraid of making a fool out of yourself. Yes, there are people that just dont like putting themselves in a position of not doing well enough, but thats not what I was talking about.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
Ah, well, I can say I don't care about what people think about me, because I don't care. If they don't like me for me, too bad, they can piss off, although it does get me mad when people say lies and stuff. I guess I can say rarely because sometimes it hurts to have people say stuff about you but it wont affect my life. I just hate it when people make fun of the way I look.

Exactly, it doesnt feel good at all, but its not like your life revolves around it, right? Im not saying that anyone here gets hung up about what someone else says, im simply saying that the chances of you truely not caring one bit at all is very low. The odds are that most everyone here has felt like crap recently (in the past year, perhaps?) because someone said something to them that upset them. Now, to what degree they got upset depends on the person, but you are not all perfect in not caring what others think.

kir said:
Well you would only tell your boss or teacher to shove it if you didn't agree with something they did/said, or if you don't like them. And if you don't like them then you don't care what they think about you. Well, at least that's how my cookie crumbles.

If you dont like them or dont agree with what they said, but they are your only way to pass high school or college, or be able to pay your bills, you are sure as hell going to keep your mouth shut. Anyone who doesnt, in my opinion, is just asking to get screwed. If you want to keep your apartment and your elecricity, at your job you dont cuss your boss out.

kir said:
I think you yourself are assuming when you say that the people on here who say they don't care what people think about them are lying.

Lets think about how human beings work, shall we? First, lets compare ourselves to other species, since we are all just animals, like them, except we have the ability to use reason and think more than all other creatures on this planet, that we know of. For apes and monkeys, they usually travel in groups, correct? What happens when one is abandoned from that group? That one ape or monkey doesnt feel too good, now does s/he? They want to please the group in order to survive. Who says this cannot be applied to us? Dont give me any 'we are better than the animals because we are more civil' crap, because we arent, we just are smarter. Next, lets look at early human tribes. They also lived in groups, in order to survive, and looked to please the group in order to survive and eat. They worked together in order to reach a goal, whether that be hunting a deer or building a hut or whatever it may be. It was in their nature to stick together and do things as a group, since if they were by themselves they were much more prone to being killed by other animals. It was a defense tatic. Next, when you were younger, were you ever not allowed in a certain group? Like in your early school years or anything? I was a couple times, and from what I remember I felt pretty crappy afterwards. Doesnt this show that that instict to be close to others is still in our minds to this day? It may not be an issue of life or death anymore, but it is still there. Finally, during your teenage years in high school (I forgot what its called in the UK, here its years 9 to 12), in the begining why does it seem so awkward? Because you are growing up and are still trying to find yourself and the people that you feel comfortable with. You are insecure of yourself, and want to find a group of kids that accept you for who you are, and when you think you found that group, but they treat you like crap, then you feel like crap, and continue looking. Usually when you finally find that group that you feel you 'belong' to, that awkwardness is pretty much gone. Freshman seem a lot more awkward than seniors do, maybe that has something to do with it...? So, through my logic, I didnt assume anything at all.

My logic probably confused quite a bit of you, but its hard to put into words my reasoning, so I apologize in advance. I always have trouble trying to have others understand what im trying to say when it comes to things like this.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I'm one of those people that no-one really likes or takes seriously apart from my friends. I think it may have something to do with my aspergers syndrome.

A

Anonymous

Meh, if they don't like me then so be it, what bothers me is when I know someone has been bitching about me...but then talks to me like they haven't, you know, being 2-faced about the whole situation...thats what I don't like...

Jake

Strata Poster
I'm going to be honest, and say that I do care what people think of me... most of the time, but then again, thats just me!

kir

Hyper Poster
brainwash said:
kir said:
If you dont like them or dont agree with what they said, but they are your only way to pass high school or college, or be able to pay your bills, you are sure as hell going to keep your mouth shut. Anyone who doesnt, in my opinion, is just asking to get screwed. If you want to keep your apartment and your elecricity, at your job you dont cuss your boss out.
Of course your point is valid, but as you said it's your point of view. I'm doin' just fine in college atm, getting mint grades and whatnot, and I managed to do that without holding my tongue when I disagreed with a teacher throughout school. However, my boss is great so I couldn't speak from a boss-cussing point of view.

It's not an innate skill to have a complete disregard for what others think. It's something you have to work on. As I've been told many a time, you meet people who you may dislike and who may dislike you, but it's not the end of the world; you just gotta keep on moving and think for yourself. Your logic is entirely researched and your ideas can only be accepted, however it shouldn't have to apply to everyone.

brainwash said:
...looked to please the group in order to survive and eat.
Ah. My logic says people don't do things only so people don't dislike them. For example, one is unlikely to dislike someone for something they haven't done. Sure early human tribes many have tried to please their groups, and it could be applied to modern society, but I don't think early humans tried to please each other so the rest of the tribe didn't dislike them, they did it so the rest of the tribe liked them.

A

Anonymous

^ Agreed.

Of course its not an innate skill, I did actually say that I have worked on caring as little as possible about what others think of me in my first post in the topic. Exactly, it isnt the end of the world, you cant let it get you down that much that you cant move on. If you are like that you need serious phycological help. About how it shouldnt apply to everyone, surely the fact that they had gone through it in the past and moved to finally not caring anymore means that at least it did apply to them at one time?

Maybe I should have worded that a bit differently. Defenitely, they didnt work so others would like them, but they did do it so the entire group would survive. I beleive that that instinct to live/work in groups was passed down to the modern day human, but instead of doing it for survival, we do it now more for just support of our everyday lives. I would think that Maslow's hierarchy of needs would be sufficent evidence showing that humans do need some sort of feeling of belonging in their everyday life to continue their lives normally from day to day, since it is, at least the first 4 main steps, considered in the science world pretty credible. Even if my connection to our insticts in unfounded, you cannot deny that most everyone needs a sense of belonging.

A

Anonymous

^ Obviously you put a lot of thought into your response, eh? You really tried thinking about what I had said and taking into consideration what I said about the different degrees that we allow peoples opinions to effect us, right? Ha....

A

Anonymous

No, actually I just skimed a few posts then posted, god bless being lazy! Anyway, putting a little more effort in, No, I don't usually care what people think of me (As I have to suffer constant calls of 'goth', 'geek', 'freak' elc every single school day, I do tend not to care). My hair is a perfect example. I comb it twice a day, just to stop it getting knotted, then I leave it. I don't honestly care about it. Clothing, as all my clothes I borght myself, or at least selected, I wear the things I like. I will occationally ask a friend what they think, but overall it doesn't really effect me. No ammount of make-up, gel, expencive clothing elc is going to change who I am, so why should I bother with all that, especally as the only peoples opinions I care about wear the same sort of crap I do, and suffer the same crap I do, whats the point in caring?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I do care what people think of me, but not enough for it to make me change who I am. I will always be who I am, but if I find people don't like that, then I either don't associate with them, or I just keep to myself around them. I know how to "act" correctly in different situations.

As AeRo said, even if you really disagree with your boss, sometimes you just have to say "well, it's not my job to disagree with you, but to do as you say". Putting forward an alternative point of view (even strongly) is a good thing. It's what has helped advance the world. Making enemies because of it isn't a good thing though. Some people can accept multiple views of the world, even if they don't agree with them, and will respect you for standing up for your own opinions. Other people will despise you for it.

The trick is caring about the former and avoiding the latter (or keeping it quiet) :) Unless you're a politician :)