What's new

Do you believe in ghosts?

Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Furie, that argument makes sense, but again, nobody can PROVE anything because nobody knows FOR SURE. I can argue for it, and you can argue against it, but in the end we both don't know and can't prove the other person wrong.

If I produce compelling (ie using proper scientific methods) evidence that you are wrong (all ghost can be explained) - you will not believe me.

If you produce compelling (ie using proper scientific methods) evidence that I am wrong - I will believe you.

Yeah but, there has been some kind of evidence, and it's your choice that you choose to not believe that the evidence is valid. I personally do..

Snoo

The Legend
^What evidence? Lens glare? A figure which happens to resemble something? I'd like for you to show us this proof.

furie said:
As there has never been compelling evidence, I won't believe. However, I am open minded enough to be able to change my opinion if I can be convinced.

This is fact, btw.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
It's hardly even evidence, usually on those ''ghost programmes'' they get some looney woman on trying to convince the public she's been abducted by ghosts, now that's not evidence.

RCF

Strata Poster
^ I've never heard of anyone getting abducted by ghosts. Aliens yes but ghosts? no. Seeing all these replies it's making me think. I still believe but I look at it at an different angle now.

^What evidence? Lens glare? A figure which happens to resemble something? I'd like for you to show us this proof.

That's the thing.. It MIGHT be a lens glare, it MIGHT be a coincidence that the figure resembles a person, but it also MIGHT not be, and it really might be a fo' realzies ghostie.

It's hardly even evidence, usually on those ''ghost programmes'' they get some looney woman on trying to convince the public she's been abducted by ghosts, now that's not evidence.

Yeah, I agree some of those are bullcrap, haha..

Snoo

The Legend
That's a whole lot of 'mights' for you to actually believe something. Or are all these possible 'mights' fabrications of the human mind?

I'm leaning toward the latter.

^ And I'm not leaning toward the latter.

Some might be fabrications of the mind as you put it, but some could actually be ghosts. Some might be lens glares, but some might be ghosts. Some might be dust, but some might be ghosts.. Etc.

Snoo

The Legend
Might? Might? Might?

Give me fact. Until then, don't respond, because unless there is proof, you have no basis behind your belief besides your blind thoughts of something that 'might' happen.

^ But you don't have any 100000% proof that they don't exist either. :p

you have no basis behind your belief besides your blind thoughts of something that 'might' happen.

Neither does anybody who believes in any sort of religion, but they choose to believe it.

I decided that the ghost topic = </3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The argument does make sense Taylor.

I believe that the evidence put forwards by science that proves the evidence for ghosts can be explained is correct.

You can repeat and disprove any ghostly evidence time and time again with scientific method.

This is the apple is just an apple.

You choose not to believe the obvious, clear evidence because you wish to believe in something else that cannot be proven (hasn't ever been proven and I doubt ever will be proven).

See, all the evidence you believe in can be disproved. So therefore it is not evidence. You have a belief based on 0% solid evidence. Your belief has as much basis in fact as Santa, Harry Potter and Mickey Mouse being real live people.

I can disprove your belief, but you choose not to accept that.

The problem is this.

You say I cannot prove ghosts don't exist. I can - there is no evidence. See, for something not to exist, all I have to do is say "there is no proof". I have therefore proven that ghosts do not exist.

The issue is that you do not believe the evidence that disproves ghosts. This is NOT MY PROBLEM. I have come forwards and proven ghosts don't exist. You do not believe me and say "I can't prove they don't", even though I have.

I can't help that you are not willing to learn and understand and open your mind enough to study the evidence against ghosts.

There is 0% conclusive proof ghosts exist, therefore, there is 100% proof ghosts DON'T exist.

If any conclusive proof comes forward - just a single piece of conclusive evidence - then ghosts DO exist. There is only 0% or 100% chance :)

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
furie said:
You say I cannot prove ghosts don't exist. I can - there is no evidence. See, for something not to exist, all I have to do is say "there is no proof". I have therefore proven that ghosts do not exist.

That's the key quote of this topic, thank you very much ladies & gentlemen I bid you good-day.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've missed this topic until now. I would try and post something intelligent, but Furie has pretty much summed up the way I feel about it.

Now, excuse me. The shadowy little old woman in the corner is telling me to feed this piece of toast with the image of the Virgin Mary to the little green men in my garden.

But you don't understand.. Of course pictures and sightings could have more logical explanations, but it still doesn't mean I can't believe that they may actually be ghosts. It's not like I am the only one in the world who believes it, either.. I don't have a religion, I don't really believe in anything, so ghosts to me are the only logical after death kind of explanation I guess. There's no conclusive evidence for God, no conclusive evidence for any other thing people believe in, and oh, there's also no conclusive evidence for alien life on other planets..

But wait, you believe in aliens, don't you? :lol:

RCF

Strata Poster
I do. sorta of. I believe there's something out there, but they haven't atually been here.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
But you don't understand.. Of course pictures and sightings could have more logical explanations, but it still doesn't mean I can't believe that they may actually be ghosts.

But that could be applied to anything, I mean of course pictures or sightings have never really proved that turds can walk, but I want to tell you that I saw one walk across my bathroom floor. There's no REAL justifying evidence, just I saw one.

I do. sorta of. I believe there's something out there, but they haven't atually been here.

Yeah but Furie is like, dissing my ghost thing but I clearly remember him saying one time that there is life on other planets (and I'm pretty sure he meant actual life, not like, just amoebas or something). That has never been 100% proven, so why should he believe in it?

But that could be applied to anything, I mean of course pictures or sightings have never really proved that turds can walk, but I want to tell you that I saw one walk across my bathroom floor. There's no REAL justifying evidence, just I saw one.

Well if millions of people suddenly started seeing their turds walking, many of them had pictures of it, some even had video and/or sound recordings, then I'd start to believe something was up. I'm not stupid enough to believe something after just one person says it's so.

Lain

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Yeah but Furie is like, dissing my ghost thing but I clearly remember him saying one time that there is life on other planets (and I'm pretty sure he meant actual life, not like, just amoebas or something). That has never been 100% proven, so why should he believe in it?.

Completely different things.

With the amount of other galaxies there are in the universe, it's almost statistically certain that there is life somewhere other than earth.

Ghosts, on the other hand, there is absolutely no evidence (other than anecdotal) that they exist. It just isn't possible!

With the amount of other galaxies there are in the universe, it's almost statistically certain that there is life somewhere other than earth.

Ghosts, on the other hand, there is absolutely no evidence (other than anecdotal) that they exist. It just isn't possible!

Statistically certain, yes. But, absolutely 100% proven? Nope. He just chooses to believe it, much like I choose to believe in ghosts based on the "evidence" I've been presented.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Statistically certain, yes. But, absolutely 100% proven? Nope. He just chooses to believe it, much like I choose to believe in ghosts based on the "evidence" I've been presented.

Yes, but your evidence relies on belief in the evidence proving your theory ghosts are real. It's a circular argument to back up your belief. Your belief is based on evidence which requires your belief to accept as evidence. If you didn't believe in ghosts, would the evidence compel you to believe in ghosts?

I've already said this. I am open minded enough to accept any evidence and if it's solid, I will believe in ghosts. Yet you are closed minded and will not accept anything other than your own belief based on what you think - throwing out logic and evidence and only believing that things can back you up - even if there is a better explanation.

You need to understand the concept of large numbers Taylor. It's a mathematical system for producing base theories on the chance of something being true or not.

If you can't get your head around it, you'll struggle :)

Basically, you need to just get an idea of the scale of things. If there were 100 people in a village and 1% of them had evidence of ghosts, then that's just one of those hundred people. In country scales (say the US), that is 1 person in 304 million

1 in 100 is a good number, and quite a high ratio. 1 in 304 million is such a tiny spec it's insignificant. Yet, people do win the lottery ;)

However, 22% of Americans say they have experienced an encounter with a ghost.

Now, to a believer, the answer is "well, there must be ghosts for 6,688,000 people to have experienced them".

But, you need to look at it from the other point of view. Out of over six and a half million ghost sightings, there is not one single bit of conclusive evidence they exist. Look at the numbers involved here.

Walking down the street in the US, 1 in 5 people has had an encounter with a ghost. With that much ghostly activity going on, you'd think it would be pretty easy to get a sampling of good evidence wouldn't you? Let's face it, there's that much ghostly activity going on, it must be happening all the time - yet nobody, in hundreds of years of studying it, has managed to capture any evidence.

The numbers just don't work out. Let's go to the lottery again, it's like the lottery is never won. Even though millions play and everyone has a chance, nobody wins it ever. At some point (within a couple of weeks), people would be shouting foul. If 22% of the total lottery numbers are sold, then there's roughly a 1 in 5 chance that the lottery will be won (remembering that individually it's a 1 in several million chance you'll win).

What we're talking about here is that 1 in 5 chance never happening in hundreds of years.

The huge number of people involved, even if there's on 1% of that 22% who have had real experience, that's still 688,000 people. Now, try to imagine that number and count it. It's an enormous number of people. Surely, out of 688,000 people there would be some evidence? There should be something that somebody can prove?

How about 1% of that 1%? That's still 6,880 people with real experiences! There's more than enough evidence there surely? Yet still we have nothing.

1% of 1% of 1%? 6,800 people. Look at the tiny percentages we're looking at here - one thousandth of a percent of sightings, and there's still 680 people and still no evidence.

See the general theory you have to go on is that if percentage chances of something being true are tiny, but the actual numbers are huge and there's no evidence - then you must discount any possibility. This is something that's really important to grasp. Massive numbers + tiny percentage + no evidence = not happening.

I do believe that there is a very good chance that there are aliens. Why? I use the same theory.

Massive numbers show us this. The universe is almost infinite in size. billions upon billions of stars. There's probably a billionth of a percent of chance that life can evolve on a perfect planet orbiting a star in just the right way. Given the mind boggling numbers involved, that still means that there are millions of potentials for life out.

Now, remember, massive numbers + tiny percentage + no evidence = not happening. However, we have evidence, we're living proof it has happened before. So given the infinite size of the universe, any tiny percentage will give a positive result. We are here because the percentages worked for us, so they will for others.

The difference is, I'm working up using big numbers from a point of proof. In the few hundred star systems we've studied closely, we still have evidence of one planet with life on it.

This is just a belief in a chance though, not a belief in actual aliens. I believe that statistically, it would be massively unusual for there not to be another planet out there with life on it given the overwhelming evidence it can happen once.

In the tens of thousands of studied hauntings, there is no evidence. So clearly the maths points to possibilities for alien life but does not point to possibilities for ghosts.

And also, I don't believe aliens have deliberately visited us and are "studying us". If an alien race has ever come here (which I actually doubt) then it almost certainly was an accident.

I'll leave you with another figure from the US.

22% of Americans have had a paranormal experience. 26% of Americans admit to having mental health problems (this discounts those who are locked away with serious mental health issues). I'm not saying that the 22% of those who've experienced paranormal experiences are part of that 26% - but I'm sure that not everyone knows (or would admit to) having mental health issues. Bit of food for thought ;)