• No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Frankly, if somebody appears on a TV reality show, all they are after is fame.

I agree that it takes a lot of balls to put yourself forward on these shows and then face a publc vote, so in a sense they are due some recognition. It also cannot be denined that some reality stars have inspired people and they do have a geniune talent.

Call me old fashioned but I think only those that rise to the top through their own perserverance, without relying on a Simon Cowell or a Big Brother, and talent deserve fame.

If we use Joe from X Factor as an example, the boy is great singer and he's pretty, but he's so boring and predictable. Nobody with his personality would get anywhere "in the real world." I'm sure he's a nice lad, but he's just an empty shell. And now he's on course to get a Christmas number 1 single (sorry but RATM wont get to #1) and have a possible career in Hollywood. Fair play to him, he battled through the X Factor but had to rely on a gimic show to get there.

Is that really fair on the more enterprising, hard working, talented people out there who do not sell their soul to tabloids and trashy (yet sometimes entertaining) television?

Do reality tv stars really deserve fame and all the trimmings associated with it?

marc

CF Legend
Its hard to say really tbh.

Some people just need the break such as Susan and Paul Potts. But look was damage it done to Susan she was strange to start off with and got worse. Both these artists are known world wide now. Had it not been for BGT they would have got now where as people would have looked at them and said no you dont look the part.

People like Leona could have got a record deal had they sent their demos in.

Personally I can not stand Leona, zero personality and they way she sung at the weekend was worse than some of the people in the show this year.

Many stars I feel have used X Factor this year simply to promote them selves. Every Star on there had either a single coming out or a full album. With the lack of top of the pops now its the only way stars can promote on normal TV.

Any way back to your point. Leon was poor on the show yet won, he now has no deal.

These shows are right and they are wrong at the same time. Joe I think will end up in a show and not in the the top 40. I feel he could have got there without X Factor.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
For something like X Factor yeah, but not for things like Big Brother. Thats like me going on Golden Balls, winning and becoming a celeb. Sounds stupid doesn't it! :)

Emmett

Giga Poster
marc said:
Many stars I feel have used X Factor this year simply to promote them selves. Every Star on there had either a single coming out or a full album. With the lack of top of the pops now its the only way stars can promote on normal TV.

I agree, the only person who looked interested in the contestants was Michael Buble. He seemed to put in an effort on the week when he mentored the contestants. The rest of the stars either looked like they didn't give a crap or they couldn't wait to get out of the studio fast enough. I bet they didn't even have a clue who the contestants were.

I guess that is also a big advantage for Simon Cowell as the big stars are probably dying to get on the show and plug something.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Joe would have got into West End musicals without the show. He's got the "perfect," bland, non-distinct voice and look for it, and it seems like that was what he was training for anyway. Making it as a famous singer without that show? Not a **** ing chance.

When it comes to the reality genre, I hate the way that people think they "deserve" fame, while doing **** all to try and achieve it.

The one that pisses me off the most these days is the "Top Model" franchise, admittedly not huge over here, but still. You've got some 17 year old crying to Tyra Banks that she's wanted to be a model her "whole life," when her idea of what modelling is is fuelled by the piece of **** show she's trying to win. Apparently being a "Top Model" is all about how much you've "been through" and how much you "want it", when in actual fact it's 90% genetics and 10% luck.

Whatever. It's our fault for watching the **** every time it comes on.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They're all (c)unts.

All of 'em.

They don't deserve anything. It's become fashionable to watch reality shows, which are a load of toss.

I can't really put forward a good argument as to why they're tw@s, but they are.

kimahri

CF Legend
No.

For the reasons people have said on here. TBH the only thing worth watching on these, especialy xfactor and bgt, is* the massive fails some people are.

*Hi plod.

tks

Strata Poster
marc said:
Many stars I feel have used X Factor this year simply to promote them selves. Every Star on there had either a single coming out or a full album.

No **** Sherlock! Robbie Williams had his album date arranged around the X Factor so it would get more publicity. It's sad when your life revolves around Simon Cowell.

I think the prize at the end of reality tv shows should be a trip to Dignitas. Except they'll use a shotgun.

marc

CF Legend
^I did not know about Robbie doing that, his performance was not good though so dont think it done him any favours.

If they actually have talent, I don't see why not. If you had an amazing talent I'm sure you'd try to showcase it in any way that would give you attention that could lead to a career or making money.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
If they actually have talent, I don't see why not. If you had an amazing talent I'm sure you'd try to showcase it in any way that would give you attention that could lead to a career or making money.

The problem is though, that true talent and drive will get you to the top if you really want to. If you're not different or special enough (or don't put in enough effort) - then you won't.

You may have noticed I don't think it's a good thing. I think it's a way of trying to fast-track yourself. I think it works every so often, but most of the time you're just putting yourself forward as a puppet for somebody else to control anyway. Once you've outlived your usefulness, that's it, you're gone.

The public very quickly move on too, and soon you're not a "star" any more, but a barnacle feeding on the bottom of the club circuit with less and less exposure as you see a potential career vanish down the basin.

There are exceptions, and it's worked for a handful of people. But it's very rare for people to still be famous 12 months after they "win" (just getting on the show and losing is still a "win".

I believe in people getting a true reward for their talent, not simply exposure because they happen to fit the right profile for this year's Pinocchio

^ I agree with what you say, about how you can go on say for example, American Idol, be famous for a few months and then it's over. Getting to fame yourself is more difficult, but seemingly more rewarding in the end, when your fame lasts for a while. But, there have been exceptions to that rule, like Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry, and Danny Gokey just to name a few.. All of which really did have true talent, have songs on the radio even years after they won (Kelly won in 2001 and she is still famous).

So it depends.. If you go on the show and you really stand out with true talent, it can definitely get you somewhere, but if you're just sort of averagely good (if that makes sense), then no, you'll probably get your fifteen minutes.. Or seconds.. of fame, and that'll be it.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I'd agree with that, to an extent. Let's have a look at the winners:

1. Kelly Clarkson - Doing very, very well. However, I really believe that the "first" winners of these shows will usually do well as the whole format is new and people see it as an actual music competition. The more it gets milked, the more jaded everyone involved becomes.

2. Ruben Studdard - Who the **** is he?

3. Fantasia Barrino - Simon Cowell recently gave her money as she was about to lose her house!

4. Carrie Underwood - Doing brilliantly. However, you could be cynical and say that it was because they pushed the country angle. It's no secret that country music is massive in the States.

5. Taylor Hicks - Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jordin Sparks - Hasn't done badly, but probably the most "manufactured" of any of the winners so far.

7. David Cook - Disappeared after one album. Maybe it's too early to tell yet.

8. Kris Allen - Has got nowhere, despite being the most recent winner.