What's new

Disney Placements

Mike

Giga Poster
I'm bringing this over from the Happy Things topic so I don't overly clog that up with this stuff and so I can find answers and people's opinions more easily...

I'm REALLY considering taking my placement year (well, half of it) with Disney. Basically, my university has partnered with the University of California Riverside and are offering us to do 2 weeks studying at UCR in July next year, before flying on to Orlando to study and work at Disney until January 2012.

My main concern at the moment is the cost. Here's what the E-Mail I received stated:
In total the programme cost is in the region of $8,500.00 USD - BUT if you take the opportunity of overtime available, you should end the 6.5 months in profit. Working the minimum hours required, you will find the programme will cost you the airfare, and other non-refundable costs.

I'm presuming, although I'm not certain, that this price includes airfare, but paying for everything in the first place is the problem.

16 other people were also interested in receiving the extra information, so there's lots of competetion for however many places are.

I'ld love to do it, and all my family would love me to do the placement (apart from my dad, who is a lot more financially-minded :p).
Deadline's the end of August, so I'm going to need to work very hard after this trip to get everything completed to hand in.

Also, while I'm at it, a question I need to answer on the application is:
Tell us about yourself. Answer the following questions, providing as much detail as you can.

Please attach an essay (one page, double space) explaining your goal for the University of California program and how it relates to your academic goal at your home university Include details of how you feel this exchange will benefit you, your university and your country.

The information I got my my uni's placement office says:
Submit an essay describing your motivation for joining the programme (Q8 on the application form). In addition to the requirements of the question, you must also demonstrate in this essay that you understand fully you will be joining an academic programme at UCR, rather than just working for Walt Disney World. Of course you need to show your enthusiasm for WDW and all that it entails, with your personality also coming across. Please send draft copies to
me, as I and my colleagues in the Placement Office are more than happy to advise you on this.

The problem is, I can't even think of stuff to write to even bull through this question. Any ideas? :p

Also, has anybody had any experience with doing a collegiate programme or working with Disney? How did you find it? Any tips?

I'm not even sure if I will even apply yet, as it does cost so much money to begin with. If I do apply, I'ld still have to pass the essay, and then pass a couple of interviews before they consider placing people on the programme as well. So, still a long way to go yet even after getting more information and applying for it.

Another thing, about being outgoing, even if I don't apply for this programme, my course still requires me to take a year abroad somewhere anyway, where similar situations will arise.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Sorry for the waffly post as well. :p

-Mike-

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Mike said:
The problem is, I can't even think of stuff to write to even bull through this question. Any ideas? :p
I don't want to piss on your SpectroMagic Parade here, but if you can't even think of a bit of bull to embellish and drag out, then you should perhaps reconsider applying.

Recently I've been applying for new jobs. I read through the advertisement and request a job specification. As Vadg..sorry, Nic, said in the Happy News topic, you need to go through that one by one and work out what you can and can't do. If there's stuff there that you can't do, then are you willing to learn?

I'm not going to sit and write the application for you, but here are some pointers.

Q. Why do you want to work for WDW?
A. Life experience, opportunity, work in that particular environment, develop friendships and experience a unique journey with people who have a similar outlook on life as yourself. THINK!

Q. What are you good at? What are your skills?
A. I don't know you that well so I can't give you a buzzwordy answer, but think along the lines of "rational, calm, good listener, an understanding and caring individual." Ok, so some of those things may not be true but you'll need to highlight the skills you have that are tailored to this sort of job.

Q. When the programme ends, what do you want to have accomplished?
A. More of an outgoing person, better interpersonal skills, have an understanding how corporations operate, have a better understanding of different cultures. Yeah, it's similar to question one, but this is about your long term goals.

Present it in that fashion - Why you want it, what you offer and what you want out of it.

Sit in front of the keyboard and just type any old crap, seriously, just type what comes into your head. Then read it OUT LOUD so you can hear how it sounds. Then rewrite it so the waffle is removed and read it out loud again. By now you should have a decent enough essay that is relevant to you. Keep doing that until you're happy with it.

I should charge for this ****.

I don't really know how else to advise you. Although I'm no expert and my grammar is shocking at times, I'm willing to read over it to give you my opinion.

Best of luck.

Nic

Strata Poster
Please send draft copies to
me, as I and my colleagues in the Placement Office are more than happy to advise you on this.

This. They're there to help you. Ask them. Also, as they say, make sure you send them a draft to check it over before submitting. Oh, and why not ask them about the airfare thing?

Mike

Giga Poster
Thanks for the pointers Ian! They're going to come in extremely helpful I feel. :)
It's looking like I will (JUST) have enough money to be able to apply for this, so I'm looking to start everything within the next few days. How fun! :)