What's new

Disney Hollywood Studios Orlando to Remove Sorcerer's Hat

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I'm surprised that nobody posted this yet.

e well-known – yet much-maligned – sorcerer's hat at Disney's Hollywood Studios will come down early next year.

Disney confirmed the giant hat's impending demise Friday. The company said it is "reimagining" the area where it stands. Disney would not provide details about what will replace the hat.

Compared with other theme-park landmarks, the hat mimicking the one Mickey wore in Disney's "Fantasia" had a short life. Disney installed it in 2001 as a focal point. From the beginning, many people didn't like it. They complained it blocked the view of the Chinese Theatre and ruined the ambience of the park's section dedicated to Hollywood's "golden age" of the 1920s, 30s and 40s.

"A 122-foot tall hat at the end of the street just kind of threw off the story that the studio was trying to tell," said Jim Hill, an industry blogger.

"To have it removed, to have Hollywood Boulevard return to its old golden days of Hollywood, that means a lot to the theme-park community," he said.

Still, the hat has appeared in many tourists' photographs.

"There is a generation of people who think the hat's always been there," said Robert Niles, publisher of ThemeParkInsider.com. "They don't remember looking down Hollywood Boulevard and seeing the Chinese Theatre."

Much of Disney's Hollywood Studios is getting an overhaul. American Idol Experience and the Studio Backlot Tour recently closed there. The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow will close Nov. 6.

Disney has talked about Star Wars playing a larger role in its parks, and the expectation is that Hollywood Studios will get more attractions based on the science-fiction series.

Theme parks are concentrating on creating lands that make visitors feel like they have stepped inside scenes from movies or books. Disney is aware, Hill said, that the hat could mar the view from a new Star Wars area.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... story.html

I'm shocked that Disney is removing the icon of Hollywood Studios! It's what people think of when they hear Hollywood Studios. What are your thoughts?

peep

CF Legend
Re: Disney Hollywood Studios Orlando to Remove Sorcerer's Ha

I think Marc posted it in another topic. First response, good riddance.

Well, most fans (myself included) would be Ok with it still on property, just not where it currently resides in front of the Chinese Theatre which was the park's original "weenie" (Disney term for big thing that draws guests to the center of a park so the castle in Magic Kingdom, the tree in Animal Kingdom etc etc).

It was also only meant to be in the park for a year or two for the Millennium celebrations, along with the wand over the Epcot ball (removed about 4-5 years back). So the hat as well outstayed it's welcome but for some reason some people think it's always been there and should stay at the park's iconic image. Like I said it'd be fine elsewhere but I'd love to go back and be able to walk down that boulevard and see the original weenie at the end of that street. It would be a much better image.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah did not know if it was worth its own topic btw.

Am so happy the hat is going :) I hope they keep the area clear. Other sites are saying the Great Movie Ride is going as well but this is not true.

Within the next 4 months there are going to be a lot of announcements about the park, even a name change is being mentioned.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

FINALLY. The icon of the park always has been the Chinese Theatre and Hollywood BLVD. When you walk in that park, you are transported back to the Hollywood that never was, but always will be....then look at an ugly eye sore of a hat.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Well, if you ask a random person what the park's icon is, chances are that it'll be either the hat, the Mickey water tower, or TOT.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

marc

CF Legend
Most people still call the park mgm as well, the park lost its identity years ago.

It's my least favourite park in wdw.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
Well, if you ask a random person what the park's icon is, chances are that it'll be either the hat, the Mickey water tower, or TOT.

Thats what Niles said in the article you quoted. The fact is the park was open for a decade-ish before that abomination raped the park. This was a move that most Disney fanboys, and pretty much every Cast Member, was ready for.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

Glad it is going. I wonder if it will be scraped or moved to another part of the resort.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Noooo, this is sad news. It looks awful I'll admit but it the signature 'thing' you first see when you enter Hollywood Studios. Clearly I'm the only one sad about this, hopefully they'll replace it with something, but what I cannot imagine, maybe HUUUUGE moose ears?

marc

CF Legend

God no they need to keep the area clear so you can see what you are meant to see.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Thank god for that! The facade for Journey Through the Movies is gorgeous and detailed, to plonk that fibreglass monstrosity in front of it was just insulting.

marc

CF Legend

Hope this is not true but they could be getting the same crap Toy Story rides Paris has. These rides will never ever cope with the number of people who visit the park.

The park could getting re named to Hollywood Adventure or Disney Adventure.

Also a clone of the new tron coaster but with speeder bikes is doing the rounds.

The door coaster from Monsters Inc has also popped up again, but it's a huge doubt.

I also thought the radiator springs ride had died a death but it's back on the cards again.

A lot of money is going to be spent on the park.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

^ I think some sort of Star Wars thrill ride coaster is a forgone conclusion at this point. Hasn't it already been stated publicly EPIC is closing down?

Wouldn't be shocked to see LMA and the Backlot (RIP) get bulldozed for Radiator Springs. Hell, they could probably fit it in just on the Backlot and Catastrophe Canyon and retheme LMA to a Cars show?

I worked at Studios 7ish years ago. When I started they actually referenced the Monsters Inc Coaster during orientation. I would love to see that ride concept, but not holding my breath.

coasterboy

Mega Poster

Y'know, it's Disney World's 50th anniversary in 2021....

They could add some smaller bits to the park in the meanwhile, with a large overhaul and name change for the anniversary - along with significant additions and upgrades to the other parks.

I like the name Disney Hollywood Adventure though :)

marc

CF Legend

Only it's not Hollywood and that's what problem people have.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

Meh. It didn't mean anything significant anyway. Even the water tower would have made sense.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

I did hear rumors that Disney might add another park, but I was skeptical about the source.

marc

CF Legend

Yeah that's been doing the rounds for years.

I have always hoped they would add a more adult park but there is just too much to sort out in the other parks before they even think of a new park.

Tbh I don't think we will see a another park within the next 20 years.

marc

CF Legend
Was interesting to hear today that something my still be needed to replace the hat.

Due to legal reasons with the firm that owns the real one the front of the gmr cannot be seen in a way pictures can be taken, this was also one of the reasons for the hat.

If Disney have not come to an agreement something else will be needed to stop people being able to see the front of the gmr.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

Its going to be coming down within the week. I saw a couple articles online about it.