What's new

Disney and Desantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Token warning point for doing exactly what I was trying to avoid and posting solely about politics.
Bud Light has been pro LGBT since the 1970's and regardless of how loud the crazy anti-woke people are the vast majority of America probably takes no issue in the advertisements. How come when they do normal ads with cis people there's no issue but doing a normal ad with a trans person is?
I'm not saying that it's bad being pro LGBT. But, right now there is this massive anti trans thing in the US. Bud Light walked right into it and now it hurts their bottom line. Disney did a similar thing. Saying things at the wrong time hurts business.

Staying in the closet as long as possible is such a reductive take. Why should we force people who are free to make their own decisions to stay closeted? Being LGBT is normal so how does that affect being a "normal kid" unless you somehow see it as a bad thing. For many people staying in the closet is a matter of life or death, especially for trans kids who have to go through the wrong puberty (and before you start, puberty blockers are reversible) and are denied the gender affirming care and support they need.
Anyone who has had to come out, has probably had to deal with some backlash. That's how current society is. In my opinion, a small child would have it a lot easier being just any small child, instead of being the "gay kid". It's a lot easier to deal with the **** when you are older.

Your views are inherently bigoted and work against the interests of yourself and your entire community. Believe it or not when the conservatives turn on gay people next they will not spare you.

Dont call me bigoted.

Sweden as a country is fairly progressive, with a whole different kind of conservatives than the US, but there are certain ideological similarities. I personally belive the US will at least morally become more similar to Sweden in the next decades. Here it was a conservative government who had the first LGBTQ ministers and a conservative government who legalised same sex marriage. Being myself a member of a conservative party which currently sits in government, I can say that there are plenty of LGBTQ conservatives in politics. Within my particular party we probably even outnumber the national average. Mind you, but my party used to be one of the most gay hostile parties not too long ago. When eventually the idea of acceptance subsidise and being allowed to be yourself become a right, then LGBTQ engage themselves in other political questions, many of them believing that conservativism is the right answer to many larger societal problems.

To whole idea of this venerable, marginalized and victimized community being chased by the scary conservatives is an idea made up by a group of elitists who want enforce their specific ideas over a massive and diverse community, which they dont represent.

Overall, I firmly belive that the LGBTQ base will disperse along the wider political spectrum ones anti discrimination, marriage, adoption, etc become unalienable rights. Sweden is on it's way there and the US will eventually follow. What is currently going on with Disney and Desantis is just a episode in the wider culture US war that has been going on for 20+ years and this time it was the queers which had to be dragged into it. Previously it was muslims and God knows whatever group they will choose to target next. Disney walked straight into a turbo charged trap and now Desantis has found his "woke" victim to satisfy his ego.

That probably rounds off my involvement in this discussion.

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Fixed that for you. Wokeness is a mind virus and not supported by the majority of people. At all.
That really necessary? Rather unhelpful and unrelated for the topic of Disney's issues with Desantis too.
Plus definition of Woke is "being conscious of racial discrimination in society and other forms of oppression and injustice" btw since you seem to not understand it. Odd to consider that a bad thing...

And how's that working out for you?

(Sigh :( )
:confused: yep... probably was best staying low key in Small News...

TrevorHarkness

Roller Poster
Disney World is a park we all know right? Here in the UK even with Euro Disney so near, everyone always seems to view Orlando as “the place” to take your kids.

There’s a lot of politics behind this that I’m not gonna dig too deep on, but basically the governor of the state and Disney have butt heads over the last few months. Disney declared a disapproval of one of the new laws introduced, and have frozen the usual funds they give to political parties

Desantis has pretty brutally threatened to try and basically cut every perk and power Disney have over central Florida, which so far hasn’t worked, but it still looms over such a big property. The park roughly employs 77,000 people, and is the biggest tax payer in Florida, so would Desantis really be willing to let Disney slip away from Florida.

The park will most certainly operate for years to come, but will this harm future investments. Will Disney decide to invest in other properties due to stability? Or will Disney maybe build another base in the US, I have heard a lot of states would roll out the red carpet for a Disney park. Tax breaks, incentives, and a lot more stability than the current government in Florida.

I think as long as Desantis is governor, we might see a lack of investment or delayed projects. Let me know your opinions guys- I personally think Desantis might be alienating the very company that brings a lot of big bucks to his home state
It's certainly possible that the political tensions between Disney and the governor of Florida could impact future investments and projects at Disney World. If Disney feels that their interests are not being adequately represented or protected by the state government, they may decide to focus their investments and resources elsewhere.

It's also possible that other states could try to court Disney with tax breaks and other incentives in order to attract a new Disney park. However, it's worth noting that building a new Disney park is a major undertaking that requires a significant investment of time and money. Even if other states are eager to host a Disney park, it may not be a simple matter of just picking up and moving the entire operation.

davidm

Strata Poster
It's also possible that other states could try to court Disney with tax breaks and other incentives in order to attract a new Disney park.

I mean its already (tongue firmly in cheek you would expect) happening...

bratcurry

Mega Poster
Token warning point for doing exactly what I was trying to avoid and posting solely about politics.
definition of Woke is "being conscious of racial discrimination in society and other forms of oppression and injustice" btw since you seem to not understand it. Odd to consider that a bad thing...
Well, it doesn't matter what the theoretical definition of the word Woke is, when in reality it's being used to eradicate women's rights (allowing men into women's locker rooms and sports) and highlighting rather than mitigating racial differences (critical race theory).

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Oh good, I didn’t think it would take long for transphobia to enter the chat.

Also, your understanding of critical race theory is laughable. Do you think German school children shouldn’t learn about Nazis too?

Status
Not open for further replies.