What's new

Did you have a recorder at school?

Recorders...

• Yes, I played the recorder at school.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I didn't play the recorder at school.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just listening to local radio and they were having a recorder play-off.

rhp.gif

IMO, it's probably the one thing that puts me off ever having kids. The sound makes my ears bleed.

I imagine that the vast majority of us had a recorder at school. I did at junior school. I had a brown one with a white bit on the top and a soft case with a drawstring to keep it in.

I stopped playing the recorder in year 3 (aged 7) when I realised I had no musical talent at all.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
We did! Year 4!

Though, didn't know it was called recorder in English.

And I can't understand how the teacher endured teaching us in it. It sounded dreadful. Like oh, so many others, I can't remember any note. There's only one song played on recorder that I think sounds good anyway (and I suspect that it's a pan flute there, even).

Emmett

Giga Poster
:lol: , never had one but my sister's used to have to play them in secondary school for music lessons. They were white ones. Even when played right the sound is so annoying and I had to put up with two of them.

Where I used to live you would nearly always hear one outside due to the amount of kids practicing with theirs.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
My sister had one and was quite good at it. I was complete rubbish so never owned one.

I learned to play the Trumpet instead when I was ten.

Yes, the noise they make, even when "played well" is abysmal. However Ian, it's far from the worst torture you would ever have to put up with when having kids :lol:

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
The recorder looks like something from Tudor times, and should never ever be produced or sold ever again.
It's got an awful sound to it, and is the second most humiliating instrument schools can give you, behind the infamous triangle.

We all used to get a big plastic box in class and there was a selection of instruments in. The bullies obviously got first pick, and instantly took the drums and xylophones, leaving the weaker kids with marraccas, triangles and obviously the recorders.

Classroom nightmares.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I did yes. It was, and still is, the most god-awful instrument ever devised.

I can't do music for ****, and recorders are one of the worst instruments to be **** at.

Horrible things. I wish I could eradicate them from my memory.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Lol I think my primary school did have them but I never played one there, only at home sometimes. :lol:

tks

Strata Poster
Hell yeh. I was a right musical child, in the Choir, Orchestra and Recorder Group in primary school. It was awesome.

I played the Descant? I think, or the Soprano one which ever it was and the Tenor recorder, which when I was 11 was about the same size as me. :D (2nd from right)

recordertypes.jpg

I also got forced into taking the grade 3 recorder exam which was my worst musical exam ever. I only just scraped a merit. :s

Ollie

CF Legend
In year 3 everyone was given a recorder and had lessons. I think it only lasted till year 5 and everyone stopped.
I also took up the trumpet in year 4 and had lessons in that until I got bored and gave up in year 7. I was quite good at it though. :)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Yep, in year 3 EVERYONE had to play a recorder for a year. I continued playing it until year 6 as I was so good and I even got to perform in front of a packed crowd at the Royal Albert Hall :D

However, give me one now, and I'll look at you with no emotion and try to play a squeaky note, and fail.

Rush

Giga Poster
Yes. I ****ing loathe the things.

I only played it for about a month and I was rubbish at it as well. I could never blow and get my fingers in the right holes at the same time. (Innuendo not intended.) To be honest it made a nicer sound when I smashed it to bits against a wall.

I'm glad I found some musical talent on the piano.

Speaking of primary school instruments, anyone remember the Vibraslap?

VIBRASLAP+RO1BK.JPG

They were epic. <3

Blaze

Hyper Poster
We were made to play them in music one year...it was dreadfull. Would say more about it but would bring the trauma back.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I had one. I suppose it led on to me learning to play other instruments that I now play, so it can't be all bad.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Patrick said:
No, I didn't, because all people played on them was Hot Cross Buns.

It was Three Blind Mice for me. If I close my eyes, I can almost hear the high-pitched whistling tune. *shudder*

Error

Strata Poster
Briefly for my elementary music class. We also all had to sing. Now, imagine me singing. Deaf yet?

I ended up joining band, and played trumpet...then baritone...then tuba...then bass guitar...