What's new

D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event Parks Panel | 10/08/24

I feel like maybe I missed something here, but if Universal has a Spiderman ride, how is Disney getting a Spiderman ride? This is probably a dumb question, but yeah.
Disney purchased Marvel Studios a few years back so now own the rights to use the characters. It's still a little messy as all the rights got split ages back so you had Sony buying the rights to Spiderman and Fox buying X-Men etc. But they're slowly all coming back together as Disney scoops them up.
I think with Universal as well they only have the rights to the comic book versions of the characters from what I can remember. Not sure what the situation is now though.

Hong Kong and Shanghai are far enough away to not be affected by Universals possibly eternal deal in Orlando for Spidey (& some others).

Loads of these announcements are interesting. Would have liked more info on exactly where in the parks and what the ride type is as it's gonna be speculation for some time. Sure do like the idea of a ToT ride system with an original theme for HK. It's what I wanted to see in the concept art but they didn't actually say.

More themed bars is excellent.

Last edited:
An interesting move to go for the live action Lion King, rather than the beloved animated film. I get that they’re pushing the live action with an unnecessary prequel, but mehh.

Certainly the most exciting stuff to come out of Disney in a very long time, and it’s nice to see they are finally reacting to Universal.
Josh D'Amaro made it abundantly clear to the live audience that it is based off the original animation. My best guess is that the concept art is left over from the Chapek Era were only recent IPs mattered to the execs.

TLDR: that was a stylistic choice made for the concept art, Josh D'Amaro did confirm to the live audience that it is based off the original film

Very impressed! Kind of awesome to see my two favourite Pixar films getting the rides they deserve! Villains Land is also hopefully going to be an awesome addition.

I feel like maybe I missed something here, but if Universal has a Spiderman ride, how is Disney getting a Spiderman ride? This is probably a dumb question, but yeah.
Universal only owns the Spider-Man rights east of Mississippi (and maybe Japan still but maybe not). Disney's free to use him as they please in Anaheim and elsewhere.