What's new

CP10`s construction topic (Pentney Lakes)

Colossus

Giga Poster
So as I have mentioned before on numerous other topics, I have had problem after problem with RCT 3, these started roughly 6 months ago with the completion of Clash of the Titans, this has mainly been attributed to a dying desktop that just couldn't handle what I was asking it to do anymore.
Frustration after frustration ensued, I nearly destroyed to desktop after completing CotT after it continually crashed. I also lost the "A Coaster is Born" project after the file corrupted itself near completion of the project, not only did I lose that project (embarrassing myself by not being able to complete something I had committed myself to showing you.) but I also lost 2 other really cool rides in that park.
So after all that coupled with other problems, I decided to treat myself to a new desktop. I spent big on it, desktops arnt cheap anyway so I thought I might aswell spend a little more and get something that will do the job well and for a long time.
So after a week or so transferring stuff over and having to re-purchase the game due to losing the Wild EP, I loaded the game up and it runs magnificently. For the first time in a long while I`m genuinely excited to get back on RCT again, knowing that nothing will go wrong and I can really go to town.
So I`m officially back.

So welcome to my construction topic, everybody else seems to have one so I figured I would finally do the same. This is going to be a little different though, rather then this being a "look what I have done" topic, although there will be some of that, my aim with this project is to actually get you guys to help me with it.
I want to involve the community with this, so I`ll be asking for your opinions and posing you questions with what you would like to see me do with certain aspects of creation, such as rides, theming, etc. I really want you guys to get involved, I think its a nice idea to have somewhere where your opinions and ideas can be shared and put into practice. This should atleast be fun and definitely something a little different.

Shot0044.jpg

So introducing Pentney Lakes Park, set in a rural Norfolk, in the UK, there`s not really much to see at this moment in time, but thats all about to change as this is the setting for the UK`s newest park.

The aims here are as follows.
- To create a large is park with a minimum of 7 coasters.
- To keep the rural-ness of the setting without stacking the coasters.
- Make it realistic
- Create and showcase my first woodie.
- Get you guys involved.

So here`s the coasters confirmed for the park so far.

1. GCI Woodie.
2. B&M Wingrider.
3. Intamin Mega-Lite.
4. Intamin Impulse.
5. Whatever will be required for port`s contest.
6. A coaster of your choice.
7. Family coaster.

So Within the next couple of days I shall have the two Intamin coaster complete as the layouts and support work is easy. So the first question I pose to you is a pretty important one.
Looking at the line up, what do you guys think would be a good addition to the line up?

Would you like to see?

a) B&M Hyper
b) B&M Inverter
c) Intamin Accelerator (Top hat)
d) Vekoma SLC (custom)
e) Other (Please state)

I`ll keep this poll up for a couple of weeks, so I can get some other work done and make sure I get as much feedback as possible, those that do vote please state why you have made your choice, thank you. :)

scw55

Hyper Poster
Impulse :D

You could also use the family coaster slot for my contest hint hint :p Air in AT fits in the criteria for the contest and many people consider it a 'family coaster'.

Colossus

Giga Poster
scw55 said:
Impulse :D

You could also use the family coaster slot for my contest hint hint :p Air in AT fits in the criteria for the contest and many people consider it a 'family coaster'.

Yeah the Impulse is a guarantee, 2 reasons, because they require little time and look real nice for the amount of effort you put in. (very rare that I can start and finish a ride in under 2 hours lol)
They also take a small footprint, which is great attribute, when your trying to cram in so much and keep the park from stacking.

There`s no way I`ll get something like that done intime unfortunately, there`s just too much work to be done here and although you guys will be updated here regularly, it will be a while yet before any rides are showcased via YouTube or Competition, because there's a lot of background work to do before any of that can happen.

BUT, scw55 I will give you a little something, (because I`m nice like that) I know how much you love your Impulse coasters, and I said I was going to get you guys involved, scw55, you sir, can choose the colour scheme for the ride, you can choose the track, support and train colours.

Bare in mind its just going to be a simple back and forth layout.

Let me know asap because I want to get to work on it.

Thanks.

bmac

Giga Poster
I would opt for a B&M Hyper because RCT3 is very kind to the designing of them, it's really hard to make a bad Hypercoaster. If it doesn't end up being a Hyper an Invert can work just as well and has a lot more customization, but compact Inverts often have to be planned really well due to how bad the supports can be.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Inverts, IMO, have a more interesting ride experience and, at least in RCT3, can have a lot of variety. I'm just mad that there's not a steeper banked curved drop.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I voted for a Vekoma SLC because I feel like they are fairly uncommon for RCT3 players and because I recently had fun making mine for the boardwalk park. I think you can get very creative with them and a perk is fairly easy supports. A B&M invert would also be nice. Either type of invert would be my pick :)

scw55

Hyper Poster
Brown Track
Green Supports
And a red/orange/brown train.

The theme would be a psychotic squirrel who is looking for food up two trees.

If you have the patience and dedication you could manually place floating leaf scenery (the ferns from the vanilla Prehistoric vegetation do nicely.) to make the two structures look tree-y.)

Have fun!
In Ceder Point (I believe) they have an Intamin Inverting launch coaster called Cheetah Chase that theme makes it *look* like a family coaster, but is far from it. I propose that similar philosphy for the Impulse Coaster. Call it "Mister Nutter" and if it existed the Logo would have a very stupidly cute Squirrel for mis-conception. Then, a family of excited idiots will turn up expecting a cute family junior ride and instead sees the monster of an Impulse Coaster that's 80ft+ high. Sound fun.

And you probably have Red Squirrels in Norfolk.
Also, if you wanted to expand in the future, turn it into a pair of Duelling Impulse Coasters and name the other ride "Evil Grey Squirrel Invader".

Colossus

Giga Poster
Hey guys thank you so far for your input, some great points have been made. Heres my thought process behind all the choices along with some of the points you guys have made.

B&M Hyper
Pros - Easy Layout, Easy Support Work, Look Beautiful
Cons - Large Footprint - Layouts can lack creativity

B&M Inverter
Pros - Creative Layout - easy to theme - Always look good
Cons - Support work takes ages - Layout can take ages to get right.

Intamin Accelerator
Pros - Easy layout - quick supports - small footprint
Cons - Hershey track is a nightmare - could be a bit boring - already have a tall launcher

Vekoma SLC
Pros - New challenge - Might look awesome
Cons - Might look pants.

Anyway, I`ll have some pictures of the Mega-lite which is nearly finished and the Wing-rider which has a lift hill and station under construction, very soon indeed along with my picture for tis months screenshot contest.

PS - I have voted +1 to the other section of the poll so I can see the current rankings, so take a vote from other when its time to all the results.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
A difficult choice, but eventually I voted for the B&M hyper for numerous reasons:

-Parks are often typified by their "big ride"; often the superlatively thrilling coaster and the one which will attract audiences. B&M hypers do just that!
-Parks also need a diverse range of attractions. In this park key coaster designs are imminent: Family, Inverted, wood, Winged and the "twister" being the mega-lite. As much as I love B&M inverts, having two inverts contained in a park with solely seven credentials is a little much; this goes for the SLC too, which are a complete pain to construct and lacking key elements such as a roll - over.
-A rocket would be great...except we already have a launched coaster. Perhaps a little into the future, although something styled on Cheetah hunt will do.
-In terms of G's...the mega-lite could be the main contender for negative G's whilst the hyper would offer more positives.

And just a little idea...Shambala's turn-around (whatever that element is called) looks really graceful on rct3 and is easy to build. :--D

Colossus

Giga Poster
Thank you for your input Coastercrazy.

Your right about the inverts, perhaps 2 would be a bit much having said that, the impulse coasters gig is that it has height and speed, the trick isnt really the fact its inverted.

Also the reasons the Invert and SLC could be successful is that apart from the wingrider, no other coaster have any inversions.

Your right about the Hypers though, they do look stunning if done right, and it would definitely be a signature ride.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
I can certainly recognise your points Cp10; a B&M invert would be equally photogenic and aesthetically pleasing...although its not all about inversions!

So for me its the Hyper or the invert then! :--D

Colossus

Giga Poster
Ok so its time to briefly put the vote on the back burner whilst I show you some work that is going on.

Shot0050.jpg

Shot0051.jpg

The Mega-lite layout and supports are finished, there's still some work to be done with regards to theming and the surrounding area.
This didn't take long and was actually quite pleasant to do, however you will agree that at the moment it looks very under-dressed, this is going to change, I have the idea for a nice theme which I look forward to showing you soon.

Shot0045.jpg

Shot0048.jpg

Shot0049.jpg

The Wingrider is also coming along very nicely, with completion of the lift hill and a base for the station, most of this ride will take place over the lake, I`m hoping that once done it will look beautiful.

Shot0047.jpg

Shot0046.jpg

And here`s a bridge with a small fort type entrance.

Hope you like whats going on so far, I look forward to sharing more with you soon.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Love it! Great landscaping and scenery. One tip: on the Mega-Lite's first pic the supports on the turn look a little odd. Maybe try using CoasterJoe's Intamin Turn supports for those. But other than that it looks great!

Colossus

Giga Poster
Thank you, I thought about using that set actually for that curve after the first drop, and I probably will still do so as that section of supports didn't really turn out as I hoped.

Ok so there wont be any updates until next week now as I have the CF Live this weekend, but here`s what you can look forward to in the next update.
- Completion of Impulse Coaster
- More Wingrider Construction
- Landscaping in the Woodie area.

Also I`m ending the poll next Friday so still one week to vote and have your say on what you would like to see, if you haven't already done so.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I love how you build your rides, I feels very realistic :)
The mega-live promises a lot of fun, I especially fancy those final airtime hills : so intamin !

Colossus

Giga Poster
B&M Hyper it is then, I want to thank all those who voted and give their opinions, next update on the construction of the park should be tomorrow.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Ok so here we are a day late, this is due to the whole GateKeeper thing last night etc, anyway I have the next update for you guys, I`ll do this in order, from least interesting to most. :)

Shot0059.jpg

Shot0055.jpg

So here`s two shots of literally nothing, my idea was to originally use the space in the first picture for the wooden, and the space for the second for either portemine`s future contest ride or the winning ride in the vote.
So the B&M Hyper was the victor, and I`m more then happy about that, the only problem I have is, where to accommodate such ride, I have a look around the park, taken into consideration whats already in place, were other things are going to go, and it turns out there`s only really one space to fit the Hyper in, you`ve guessed it, the place reserved for the woodie.
So what I may have to do is put the hyper in the woodies space, the woodie in the contest space and wait to see what I`ll need for porte`s comp. I`ll sort something out.

Anyway more interesting things now, introducing the Impulse Coaster.

Shot0056.jpg

Shot0057.jpg

Shot0058.jpg

Everything is finished with regards to the layout, supports, station, the only thing that needs doing is the queue line and surrounding area, I`m keeping all stats and the theme under wraps until the area is completed, the same will go for the Mega-Lite also as that is also in the same area.

Finally the Wingrider update, I have literally done all this work today fresh after enjoying the GateKeeper announcement, I didn't copy anything from that but it gave me the inspiration to crack on with it.

Shot0052.jpg

Shot0054.jpg

Shot0053.jpg

I have worked real hard on this today, I have managed to finish of the layout, which was a nightmare to get correct but I`m really happy with it.
I have completed the support work which was again a nightmare because I have to consistently raise and empty the lake and the ground beneath the water was a mess also.
But I`m really ecstatic with how it has ended up, just the station area needs to be done and the WR will be complete.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Fantastic integration of the Impulse Coaster. The trees are too homogenous to my taste. Try Spice's trees for example. Harmonious color patterns for most of your coasters except for the Impulse coaster. I'd suggest light red supports with your current light brown rails :)