What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Ethan

Strata Poster
Disneyland Paris closing on the 30th of October, lockdown expected to last 4 weeks but will be reviewed every two. Announcement from Disney expected soon!

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
We've thrown out all hope of Europa Park now, I was hoping to take my wife for her birthday next week (we booked Phanta at similar short notice just in case too).

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
The likes of Disneyland Paris closing is a big deal. It seems like such a big machine to get up and running again and it was barely functioning as it was with only 1 hotel open. :-(

Disneyland Anaheim still closed.

Disney World suffering from restrictions with finishing ride builds due to Covid.

This industry is headed into a deadly tailspin I fear.

I'm worried lockdowns could last all winter.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The likes of Disneyland Paris closing is a big deal. It seems like such a big machine to get up and running again and it was barely functioning as it was with only 1 hotel open. :-(
I think you’ve probably touched on something there... It must be very hard to get that place back into full swing.

Barring any announcements today or tomorrow the UK industry has so far escaped the second wave unscathed. Both Towers and Thorpe were busier than I’ve ever seen them mid week (Oct) this week. And after this weekend it’s pretty much just passholder days :)

Satanspropaganda

Mega Poster
Barring any announcements today or tomorrow the UK industry has so far escaped the second wave unscathed. Both Towers and Thorpe were busier than I’ve ever seen them mid week (Oct) this week. And after this weekend it’s pretty much just passholder days :)
Heading Towers on Thursday for my partners birthday, not quite Disneyland Paris, but we canned that plan 3 weeks ago and thank goodness we did!

rob666

Hyper Poster
I think you’ve probably touched on something there... It must be very hard to get that place back into full swing.

But Blackpool has been dead most days...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
But Blackpool has been dead most days...
Oh man, I really need to try and get up there tomorrow!!!!

Perhaps it’s the lack of a real ‘event’ couple with the fact they’re tier 3 while the merlin parks are tier 1?

Tier 3 means others are ‘advised’ against travelling into these areas.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Blackpool...Combination of Sturgeon's direct warning...specifically mentioning the Beach, red zone, the resorts unhealthy image, and bloody awful weather locally.
Some rides have been closed weekdays, but you have been able to do all the open rides in a couple of hours.
Nothing has been said formally, but I can't see the winter weekends happening...time will tell.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Theme parks in france will also close this weekend with a second kind-of quarantine is starting from Saturday morning to December 1st
Germany has also announced they will be requiring closure of all parks come November, as part of their new lockdown protocol: http://www.screamscape.com/html/world_news.htm#Germany

Meanwhile flipping to North Carolina, Carowinds made a surprise announcement to go forward with their Taste of the Season "outdoor" holiday event; first the park is opening this year. There will be a few roller coaster openings, but alas no Fury 325: https://www.carowinds.com/play/events/taste-of-the-season

SimonProD

Mega Poster
While at the gym - will also close on Monday - I saw two items on the news TV crawl that makes it unlikely we will return to normal operations this winter: Frist the health minister of Northrine-Westphaliate said that the German lockdown - now scheduled for 4 weeks - may be prolonged and/or restrictions increased if there isn't a serious drop in infections. Second the Spanish government already has extended the state of medical emergency until May 2021.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
While at the gym - will also close on Monday - I saw two items on the news TV crawl that makes it unlikely we will return to normal operations this winter: Frist the health minister of Northrine-Westphaliate said that the German lockdown - now scheduled for 4 weeks - may be prolonged and/or restrictions increased if there isn't a serious drop in infections. Second the Spanish government already has extended the state of medical emergency until May 2021.
I mean checks out - if you're in lockdown, and Covid case count isn't changing, you wouldn't be rolling back any preventative measures.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Every news outlet is running with reports that Boris is going to announce a national lockdown early next week.

Not shutting schools though, apparently, to another pointless drain on the economy... I mean if it took 3 mo ths to get cases down WITH schools closed, how long is it going to take with them open? :/

Professor

Every news outlet is running with reports that Boris is going to announce a national lockdown early next week.

Not shutting schools though, apparently, to another pointless drain on the economy... I mean if it took 3 mo ths to get cases down WITH schools closed, how long is it going to take with them open? :/
Such a good point.

I can appreciate the argument for keeping schools open due to the now ingrained structure in society of most families having both parents working (things would have been quite different 100 years ago) but really will it be enough to stop the spread as you point out? Or just prolong things till Christmas holidays? And then people say "Look it's finally working NOW"?

This lockdown part 2 could well last into 2021 if we are going to try to curb current numbers which may be really hard during the winter months. It has been astonishingly wet over the last few weeks. For me personally that always has a worse effect on my health/wellbeing rather than straightforward cold.

Furthermore it doesn't appear to me that the weekly deaths in England and Wales are currently completely out of the ordinary. Are deaths resulting from Covid 19 simply replacing the figures of people dying with flu at this time of year now?
Or indeed will things get really bad like in spring, in the next few weeks? Or are the measures really going to prevent that from happening.
It seems to me incredibly hard / impossible to measure what the exact effects of restrictions are / will be.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Month of "sort of" lockdown with shops and schools open now, then christmas shopping to keep the economy going, then a full lockdown with schools and non essential shops closed early January to March.
Hospital death figures run a few weeks behind infection rates, so expect the real panic, and conformity to the rules, to kick in around the end of November.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Are deaths resulting from Covid 19 simply replacing the figures of people dying with flu at this time of year now?
That's something I've been wondering about too. All this hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing and general cautiousness must surely put one heck of a dent in this year's flu numbers? I mean, we're doing all this to try to prevent Covid, but all the other infectious diseases must surely be affected too.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That's something I've been wondering about too. All this hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing and general cautiousness must surely put one heck of a dent in this year's flu numbers? I mean, we're doing all this to try to prevent Covid, but all the other infectious diseases must surely be affected too.
The flu season in the Northern hemisphere usually follows that of the Southern. In the Southern hemisphere there wasn’t a flu outbreak to speak of, and afaik, none in the North yet.

Professor

So another lockdown in the UK England from Nov 5th to Dec 2nd minimum, with schools exempt.
Secondary schools may close.

This evening some parents in my estate happy to send kids around for trick or treating.

The stupidity is just staggering.

Edit: Sorry made a mistake thinking it was for UK. It is only for England of course. Devolved governments can do their own thing whilst still moaning about independence. Even though they will just copy Westminster's rules of course.
Again the stupidity is just staggering.

Last edited: