What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Sounds quite strict. It does seem a bit silly that you have to force yourself around the scare mazes in such a limited 90 minute window. Not sure if that will even be possible if there is a say 20 minute queue for each one?

They weren't strict about it at all, we entered 30mins early and probably finished later than our slot due to the queues being a little slow moving. All seemed chilled.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Sorry for the spam, but here’s AT’s response to the tier system... Looks like it’s already going to cost them...
Thing is, that's surely all reliant on the ticket holders following the guidelines? And if everyone was following guidelines better in those areas already we maybe wouldn't be seeing the infection rates rising! I can certainly imagine plenty of people who had bought tickets not wanting to miss their last chance to visit a theme park and have some fun this year. So not sure if that's going to have much of an impact.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thing is, that's surely all reliant on the ticket holders following the guidelines? And if everyone was following guidelines better in those areas already we maybe wouldn't be seeing the infection rates rising! I can certainly imagine plenty of people who had bought tickets not wanting to miss their last chance to visit a theme park and have some fun this year. So not sure if that's going to have much of an impact.
Exactly, and the worst thing is, because our government have taken a half @r53d approach again, there is little more that they can do on top of advise... As the travel gov’s restrictions in very high areas are only ‘advisory!’

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Another 20K cases added over last 24hrs in UK. Not good. :confused:

Nicola Sturgeon has asked everyone in Scotland refrain from visiting Blackpool in particular as she said 180 cases in Scotland came from there (so they reckon). It is currently half term for many areas in Scotland.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Another 20K cases added over last 24hrs in UK. Not good. :confused:

Nicola Sturgeon has asked everyone in Scotland refrain from visiting Blackpool in particular as she said 180 cases in Scotland came from there (so they reckon). It is currently half term for many areas in Scotland.
Was just coming to post this. And there is word that local councillors say tier 3 is inevitable and supported for the town. Looks like those late season bpb trips are off the cards.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Energylandia is closing early this season from tomorrow 6pm so no Halloween celebration next weekend.
The winter dates are cancelled too.

Matt N

CF Legend
Possible good news for some US parks; UK and US officials are reportedly in talks to have routes between Britain and the USA resume by the end of the year with the addition of testing both before boarding the plane and after arrival so as to massively reduce the quarantine period: https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt...uarantine-periods-as-soon-as-the-holidays.htm

This could be very good news for parks in areas of the USA like Florida!

Matt N

CF Legend
Promising vaccine news, guys! Extremely promising, in fact!

According to a political source who has met with Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer, he apparently said that the phase 3 results for AstraZeneca’s vaccine are on track to be positive. These are expected to come between the end of this month and the end of next month, meaning that vaccination could possibly begin in December/January!

Here’s my source for this info: https://apple.news/AAkaABGd_TzGCR-XVe8a0Ig

Very exciting, don’t you think?
P.S. Sorry for double posting; possibly getting ahead of myself a little with all of these news stories!
EDIT: Full article:
The Sunday Times said:
The NHS is preparing to introduce a coronavirus vaccine soon after Christmas. Trials have shown it will cut infections and save lives, Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer, has privately revealed.

He told MPs last week that stage three trials of the vaccine created at Oxford University and being manufactured by AstraZeneca mean a mass rollout is on the horizon as early as December. Thousands of NHS staff are to undergo training to administer a vaccine before the end of the year.

The government changed the law this weekend to expand the number of health professionals able to inoculate the public. The regulations will enable pharmacists, dentists, midwives and paramedics to administer jabs.

Van-Tam gave a briefing to MPs on Monday afternoon in which he said: “We aren’t light years away from it. It isn’t a totally unrealistic suggestion that we could deploy a vaccine soon after Christmas. That would have a significant impact on hospital admissions and deaths.”

The first vaccines will be given to the elderly and vulnerable and to vaccinate those most at risk will take several months. Most people will not be given the jab.

An MP who attended another briefing with Van-Tam said he was “very bullish about the third stage AstraZeneca results, which he expects between the end of this month and the end of next”. The MP said: “Van-Tam expects it to protect the elderly and vulnerable. He gave us to understand that it stopped the virus ‘shedding’ in the young. He said he would expect vaccination to start in January.”

Boris Johnson warned last week that there might never be a vaccine, but insiders say he did so because the government does not want to “overpromise and underdeliver”.

A health department official confirmed a “robust and comprehensive training programme” was being developed by the NHS and Public Health England to train more people to administer injections.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said: “These legal changes will help us in to make sure we are ready to roll out a safe and effective Covid-19 vaccine as soon as it has passed clinical trials and undergone rigorous checks by the regulator.” Van-Tam added: “Vaccines are being developed at a speed that, if successful, will save lives.”

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

According to a political source who has met with Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer, he apparently said that the phase 3 results for AstraZeneca’s vaccine are on track to be positive. These are expected to come between the end of this month and the end of next month, meaning that vaccination could possibly begin in December/January!

Here’s my source for this info: https://apple.news/AAkaABGd_TzGCR-XVe8a0Ig

Very exciting, don’t you think?
P.S. Sorry for double posting; possibly getting ahead of myself a little with all of these news stories!
EDIT: Full article:

Back at the start I said there was no way there’d be a vaccine by the ‘October’ date thrown around, but I also doubted that there’d ever be a vaccine. I’m now very confident that we’ll not only have one, but I’m sure it will be before winter is out too.

Happy to admit that (it at least looks like) I was very wrong on this one.

I think the Oxford one may be first, but I’m not sure it will be the best.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Damn, is this due to that region essentially becoming a tier 3 red zone equivalent
On the week ending September 9, the 7-day average number of daily new cases in Poland was 490. On the week ending October 7, it was 2258. This week, it's 4927. That's a tenfold rise in cases in a little over a month, and a doubling of cases only in the past week. Those graphs are nearly vertical at the moment, so it's understandable that they are closing places down.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster

If it's going to happen, please let it be "end of next month" rather than "end of this month". We really don't want anything that might give a last-minute boost to Trump's campaign.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If it's going to happen, please let it be "end of next month" rather than "end of this month". We really don't want anything that might give a last-minute boost to Trump's campaign.
It won’t be authorised for use in America at the same time. Have trials even resumed in America? They took so long to investigate that case of side effects, last time I checked USA trials were still paused.

Matt N

CF Legend
It won’t be authorised for use in America at the same time. Have trials even resumed in America? They took so long to investigate that case of side effects, last time I checked USA trials were still paused.
The trial is still paused in America, as far as I’m aware.

As far as I’m aware, this is only from a UK perspective, sorry.

cookie

Giga Poster
The thing to remember with a potential vaccine deployment is that it probably won't put an end or even ease the restrictions much until we either know it works on a large enough percentage of the population (which is no guarantee) or we find a dose that does. People being vaccinated in January/February wouldn't mean everything would be fine and dandy by May. The restrictions could still exist for a long while afterward.

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Apparently, we're very close to forming a travel bubble with Singabore, so I may go to Universal when the plane tickets get back to a normal price in say 6 months or so.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk