What's new

Coronavirus: Impact on Theme Parks

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Is this for the eurotunnel?

No, not looked at Tunnel, I had a bit of a brain fart and thought ‘not pushing it by getting on a train...’ But I’ve just realised, it’s not a normal train, ? In my head I envisaged a packed commuter train ?

That was with DFDS by ferry... Just checked Chunnel and it’s around £140 :)

Last edited:

JammyH

Hyper Poster
So according to a source from Oxfordshire country council, oxford st Giles fair, Witney feast, Abingdon and Banbury funfairs are all cancelled this year. These fairs normally take place in September and October.

Unfortunately, I cannot say this has come as a surprise, as hull fair, which is one of the UK’s biggest funfairs and in October is already written off.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
So according to a source from Oxfordshire country council, oxford st Giles fair, Witney feast, Abingdon and Banbury funfairs are all cancelled this year. These fairs normally take place in September and October.

Unfortunately, I cannot say this has come as a surprise, as hull fair, which is one of the UK’s biggest funfairs and in October is already written off.
Just put a statue in the middle of the fair and maybe it can still go ahead. Social Distancing apparently doesn't exist then.

Screenshot 2020-06-09 at 21.26.02.png

Really dumb all this, considering universities are probably not going to run classes from September etc. At least most are wearing masks but still...

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Safe to say everyone’s persistence, donations, signing petitions and questioning the government has made them finally pull through for once. So happy!

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Excellent to hear about zoos. I agree, definitely think all the campaigning and writing to MPs over the last week has made this possible. Hopefully Twycross and Woburn both open on Monday.

JammyH

Hyper Poster
Does anyone know why there are discrepancies regarding masks relating to the new procedures in UK theme parks (notably merlin)

Obviously BPB are independent so it makes sense them having their own rules about face masks being mandatory on some rides, however at chessington and Legoland it seems, from reading their website, face masks will be mandatory, or at least encouraged, whereas at Alton towers they don’t even mention it in their safety measures?

BlueSonicHD

Mega Poster
Cos Towers are the sensible ones.
As there’s no transmission of the virus from asymptomatic people masks are a bit pointless ?‍♂️

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Cos Towers are the sensible ones.
As there’s no transmission of the virus from asymptomatic people masks are a bit pointless ?‍♂️

How is that so? Are you referring to the WHO statement, suggesting transmission was ‘rare’ (not impossible) that was retracted less than 24 hours later? All the actual studies I’ve seen suggest there is transmission amongst asymptotic patients, and that there is no difference in the viral load.... Even if it turns out that Asymptomatic patients cannot shed whatsoever (unlikely) there are still the studies showing that symptomatic patients are contagious before showing symptoms, (presymptomatic.) Then there are those who are symptomatic, but are so mild they don’t recognise it as a danger, these are also contagious... There is definitely still a need for masks where distancing cannot be guaranteed (and indoors where it can!)

What you’ve suggested is akin to saying that there is no need for any social distancing measures between people who are not symptomatic... If the virus was that easy to control, we wouldn’t be in this mess now!

I’m not sure why you’re so against mask wearing... Medical studies aside, the evidence is overwhelming in terms of countries who use them having lower transmission rates, flatter curves, and less deaths.

Anyway... Moving on...

I am so pleased for zoos, looks like I am travelling to some European parks on Monday so long as France stick to their word and open borders for transit, otherwise I’d be booking zoo tickets now!

Hopefully this means those theme parks with a zoo, who weren’t able to open as gardens, now have a small lifeline too :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
how are we suppose to function normally when they keep changing there minds on everything so often :(
My heads spinning,

We need the new facebook ‘hug’ reaction.... I feel you :)

I said earlier in this thread that the WHO will be to blame for many people considering masks irrelevant (actually it’s most people’s misinterpretation of who statements, but they could be clearer)

I look at things this way... Anything that stands ANY chance of allowing us to continue our (new) normal lives without disrupting us too much, or causing an increase in infection, should be grabbed with both hands and embraced... At least until we’re 100% positive that it’s of no benefit and is unnecessary... This should have been the case from the start where masks are concerned... I am fairly confident that wider adoption of masks in Feb in the UK would have saved 1000s of lives ? But time will be the judge of that (and hopefully an enquiry.)

JammyH

Hyper Poster
I am pretty hopeful that Alton towers will (and in my opinion they definitely should) do a u turn on the fact masks should be required in their parks.

Not necessarily in open spaces such as the gardens and pathways, however in queue lines, on the rides and in indoor attractions and shops I definitely think they should be mandatory, the same as what’s required in germany.

@Nicky Borrill very exciting about your trip! I’m currently planing one for 2-3 weeks time, but haven’t decided exactly where I want to go yet. What parks are on your list?