What's new

Coney Island & Six Flags Great Adventure June 2015

ashtonrick

Roller Poster
Hi All

Not posted a trip report before but thought I'd have a go following my recent trip to New York week commencing 8 June 2015. We got a cracking deal of £400 return flights to JFK from Manchester with great accommodation in Brooklyn.

I'll mainly concentrate on the parks we did and sadly didn't get too many photos (too busy on the rides!) however before that, and well worthy of a mention was the One World Trade Centre which opened 2 weeks before our trip.

One World Trade Centre
First thing in the morning on Tuesday 9th it was a bit cloudy, but luckily before we were due to go up the tower the weather cleared.

WTC_Outside.jpg

When arriving for our allocated slot at 1pm we were glad to have booked online in advance as the queues for tickets were immense. Following airport style security we walked through the passageways telling the story of the building and entered the high speed lift to the observation deck. The lift is impressive and gives a visual build up of the New York skyline over time. You really can't feel the speed other than the occasional pop of the ears. For those interested in the lift view, a video can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22oJwUJQQkI

The views from the top were truly fantastic:

WTC2.jpg

WTC1.jpg

Coney Island
On the Wednesday headed down to Coney Island on the Q train from our base near the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn. I wasn't really expecting too much as although I have read about the redevelopment I still expected it to be a bit of a dump for some reason. I must say that I was really pleasantly surprised: the amusement area, boardwalk and beach are absolutely great and were really busy mid week on a Wednesday afternoon! When we decided to go back for a few hours on the Sunday it was completely rammed everywhere.

Aquarium
We got off the train near the Aquarium and decided to visit there first. Although some of it was still being rebuilt following Hurricane Katrina, the Aquarium was excellent value at $11.95. The entry also included a great sea lion show and the fab Spongebob 4D Cinema. Cue picture of fish:

Aquarium_Fish.jpg

and the Sea Lion Show (barely visible sealion back left lol):

Aquarium_Sealion.jpg

Cyclone
After the Aquarium it was time to head over to the Cyclone - a legendary coaster which I had always wanted to experience.

Cyclone_1.jpg

Cyclone_Ride.jpg

Cyclone_Station.jpg

After paying our $9 dollars and boarding the ride, the first thing that struck me about the train was the restraints. Rather than a normal lapbar that comes down onto you lap, the bar pushed against your stomach and only had one setting. Sat one seat from the front, I was expecting a bit of a bashing but the coaster was nowhere near as brutal as I had read.

I rode 1 seat from the front and 2 seats from the back and the ride was quite intense, with some good laterals at the turnarounds and quite a bit of airtime. I must admit I was expecting literally thrown out of your seat Grand National style airtime but the ride never really reached that.

Overall I thought it was a fantastic coaster but had probably been hyped far too much over the years so was a little underwhelming when I finally got to ride it. Didn't stop me having the second go though! Rated 8/10

Thunderbolt
I'd heard bad things about this ride being rough and painful so unlike the Cyclone wasn't really expecting too much. That said, we paid our $10 and boarded.

Coney_Beach.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised by the Thunderbolt both times I rode. Although others have complained I found the restraints quite comfortable and although not a smooth ride was not ridiculously rough and was very enjoyable. The bunny hops at the end provide some fantastic ejector airtime. Rated 7.5/10

Other Coney Creds

I was going to ride the Volare but got spited (shame!). Instead we did the Steeplechase which although a family coaster is quite good fun and packs an unexpected punch in the initial launch!

Six Flags Great Adventure
On the Thursday we took the New Jersey Transit bus from New York to Six Flags. It worked out about $72 including park entry which I thought was really good value. I have to admit we got very few pics here as we were too busy whoring the coasters whilst we had chance! The only rides with queues were Kingda Ka and Batman (due to one train operation) - all the other main coasters were walk-ons.

Here's a nice pic from the car park though:

6_Flags_Carpark.jpg

Kingda Ka
Being the most anticipated of the trip Kingda Ka had to be first ride of the day.

Kingda_Ka.jpg

Following a 1.5 hour queue in scorching heat (due to one breakdown and someone puking on a seat and having to wait for it to be cleaned). The ride was really good with some fantastic forces, however it really did shake and rattle around the track, not in an uncomfortable way though. Rated 8.5/10

El Toro
Literally a walk on although we ended up waiting until someone retrieved a rider's superman cape from the train before us :)
This is the coaster that literally blew me away. The ejector airtime and pure pacing of the ride was stunning. Being the first intamin prefab I have ridden I can say I was not disappointed and can't wait to ride the others to compare to this. Rated 10/10

Bizarro
Extremely smooth coaster and really enjoyable. Thought the ride was a decent length and well paced. Rated 8/10

Runaway Mine Train
One of the original Arrow mine trains this certainly was not smooth. Found the transitions really rough and painful and got a rib bashing I certainly wasn't expecting from such a tame looking ride. Rated 5/10

Nitro
This one was the surprise star of the trip. Really wasn't expecting this to be as amazing as it was. Some excellent airtime on this coaster and absolutely loved it! Rated 9/10

Batman The Ride
Intense is the only word I have for this. Good ride, but my god those positive G's on the Helix! Could literally feel the blood rushing to my feet. To be honest the ride was enjoyable but that intense most of it was a blur. I certainly think Nemesis has the intensity pitched just right as this was a little too much in my book. Rated 7/10

Green Lantern
Was not impressed at all with this stand up coaster. The roughest B&M I have ridden with much more headbanging than an ageing SLC. Found the ride very uncomfortable which took away from any fun - and I'm someone who will re-ride an SLC a few times in a day (call me mad)! Rated 3/10

Superman Ultimate Flight
The second car park coaster and my second B&M flyer (after Air). Certainly found the coaster more intense than Air and the fly-to-lie half loop down certainly gave a head rush; however felt the setting took away from the excitement on this one. Although it was a great ride, just felt that it was lacking the 'rushing along the landscape' exhilaration of the Alton ride. Rated 7/10

Unfortunately we didn't have time to get the minor creds, but a jolly good time was had by all!

Of course we did lots of other touristy stuff whilst in New York, and no visit to the Big Apple would be complete without a picture of the Ghostbusters Firestation:

Ghostbusters_Firehouse.jpg

njn63

Mega Poster
Good report. Love NYC and didn't know about that bus to SFGA (we had a rental car the one time we visited).

ashtonrick

Roller Poster
The bus runs from the Port Authority Bus Station and makes one stop in New Jersey on the way. You can't buy tickets in advance and have to purchase on the day from the New Jersey Transit window (they have a couple of windows specifically for Six Flags). They do just a bus option (not sure how much) and then a bus and park entry option (which is the best deal for $72). Coaches are about every 15 mins / half hour there up to about 9.30am, and same frequency back up to about 7.30pm from the park.

And njn63 NYC rules!

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
Green Lantern
Was not impressed at all with this stand up coaster. The roughest B&M I have ridden with much more headbanging than an ageing SLC
Is it rougher than a ageing Chinese vekoma SLC knockoff?