What's new

Colossus Roughness

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Does anyone know the actual reason why Colossus at Thorpe Park is so rough? Looking at POV videos on Youtube of 10 Inversion Coaster at Chimelong Paradise, it seems a lot smoother than Thorpe's. Is it the trains? The wheels? Just the fact that it's at Thorpe? The age?

Thanks, and all that.

Snoo

The Legend
All of that can factor into roughness. Also, wear on the track can be a large factor.. on top of the fact that the OTSR's don't help.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Well, maybe rough was the wrong word to use. It's vibrates and rattles in a similar way to Furius Baco...

Edit: It seems to vibrate in a similar way to Baco, but no where near as bad. :p

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Saw is rough. Colossus isn't. Ear-banging from the restraints is the only problem I've ever had and that can be avoided by putting your head forward. Riding in the middle is the worst place to sit, whereas front row is pretty smooth.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
dj-fireball999 said:
Well, maybe rough was the wrong word to use. It's vibrates and rattles in a similar way to Furius Baco...

Furius baco is horrible - in comparison, colossus is like a train ride!!

Never had a problem with saw- wouldn't want to do multiple rerides, but I do love it!!

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Colossus isn't 'rough' although it's very cramped if you have long legs and you have to brace yourself to avoid earbashing.

I think we've established from the Eurofighter thread that Saw isn't always rough but its inconsistent to say the least.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Colossus and Saw both seem to have different types of roughness to me. Colossus has this constant "vibration" type roughness throughout, which gets worse at various points. When I rode Saw a few weeks a go, it seemed to give you the impression that everything was fine and smooth, then punch you in the face every time that something remotely exciting happened. Front row of Colossus didn't seem to be that different to the back row to me.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Thundercoaster at Tusenfryd is rough, Colossus has nothing worse than a rattle.
Rode it in the back row at fright nights and had a blast!

Some new trains would probably help, but would require a new designed from Intamin, because of the smaller track, so it would most likely be expensive.